Oct. 17 - BC Lions at Edmonton Eskimos Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

No Ordinary Joe
Legend

*poop*. What a horrible half of football. We establish the run...then abandon it. Buck is in there getting killed and he's not being protected. Our D is looking like swiss cheese....again. This is one of the most frustrating football teams to watch play. I hate how we can't adjust to anything and just keep going over the same thing without success.

And I hate to say this...but somebody lay a hit on Ricky Ray. Dirty or not, nail that *beep*! Drive him into the turf. Hit him high, hit him low, hit him late. We need some goddamn PAYBACK!
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Big Time wrote:WHy do the Lions even put defenders in the middle?
The answer is: they don't.
lucky leo
Rookie

Entertaining game, but the lions arent playin good Defence on a consistent basis...I dont like some of the defensive play calls on the last TD drive lions D was playing soft....D-co-ordinater playing safe and it cost us...no coverage on the left side defender was 30 yrds off the ball. come on that is just handing the game over... Sad to see!!!!!!
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Tighthead wrote:Our weak arsed pass defence:

Talent, execution, or scheme. Discuss.
Exactly, so much focus on JC and the offensive play calling yet another game where this defence looks absolutely brutal against an elite QB.

What the hell scheme calls for a 33 year-old LB to cover a receiver 20 yards down field? Do we have to bring out the ’04 Grey Cup game to remind Wally what will happen?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Why does JC let his QB get killed when he can see like we can see that an empty backfield is getting BP killed and not working effectively as he is not taking advantage of their D alignment.

Kruck can see this in the box and unless JC starts listening we 're going to run out of QBs before he gets they adjust.

Momo has shifted now that our O is not getting the results as they won't take what the Esks give (that pure and simple is play calling by JC!!!) not execution.....

Yes, some issues on D.. and good tackles on Wake to set up nice plays... but momo is shifting to esks due to our O not being able to keep on the field.
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Where is Barron Miles in that 20 yards downfield play? Or in his absence, Phillips or Banks?
Rammer
Team Captain

Solar Max wrote:
Rammer wrote:Roberts is back in and doing well, no worries boys, we are going to blow the Esks out here in the second half, and take the season series.
Where the hell have you been??

Get in there and block for chrissakes! :lol:

Looks like Pierce is done again. Thank you, Mr. Chapdelaine.
Tae Kwon Do, listening on the way home....argh. Put me in right now, I would take a good one for the team the way I feel. 55 second drive at the end of the half made to look easy, unacceptable.

What kind of coverage did Glover take on that out, a yard off the mark and lets the YAC pile up, way too easy, way way too easy. Just caught the helmet hit by Guilroy on BP, did that get flagged?
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Big Time wrote:Lions lead the league in easy first downs on 2nd and long. They are practically automatic.
:whs: Mike Benevides learning on the job is killing us.
Disturber
Champion

The announcers said that Edmonton's O Line is doing a "little holding". Heck, they're holdling almost every play and getting away with it. Add to that the non-call Offensive interference on the last Edmonton TD... Of course Ricky is making all those throws.
Go Lions!
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Topics Merged.
Blitz
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:
Tighthead wrote:Empty backfield. Worst two words in football.

lol tonight for me.. TH.. they are "Chapdelaine's plays!"
Geez...how did the Eskimos struggle last season with a quarterback like Ricky Ray?? Only one word...."Chap"!!

Edmonton is bringing the blitz a lot and we haven't screened or ran the swing pass or done anything other than have Buck try to throw short passes.

The recipe to beat our Leos offence has always been to bring pressure and overplay the short stuff in the passing attack. Richie Hall does it, Campbell is trying to do it this game, and Calgary will do it to it this year, with a new defensive coordinator. The way to beat it is 1) screen, screen, dump to the back, hitch screen, quarterback draw, screen, swing 2) maximum protect and throw the deep ball quickly...cause you have to burn the blitz.

You can't blame our offensive line..they are outnumbered. Roberts has done a great job of bouncing a couple of plays to the outside, when he has seen the safety blitz coming. However, we have to scheme much better against the Edmonton blitz.
I'm really happy to see Paris Jackson in the slot..a position I've always thought he should play.

On defense....it's easy to blame our guys but Worman is scheming very, very well and Ray is right on the money...and even with great coverage he makes great throws. It's gotta be frustrating for our guys. His last touchdown pass was just a perfectly timed throw behind corner pattern. On the same drive Banks had outstanding coverage and it had to be a purrfect throw to get in there and it was a purrfect throw!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote: Just caught the helmet hit by Guilroy on BP, did that get flagged?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Good one. For a minute I actually thought you were serious.
ziggy
Legend

If only we had their O line and a defensive secondary. Can any one in the secondary step up and make a tackle? A little coverage would be nice! Ricky don't spill your latte while you're waiting for the rush!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

No Ordinary Joe wrote:*poop*. What a horrible half of football. We establish the run...then abandon it. Buck is in there getting killed and he's not being protected.
That's being typical of Chapdelaine all season. Abandon whatever is working and go to something else. :x
Rammer
Team Captain

Well in reality we are now down by 16 points, the way the Esks are able to score, it is going to be difficult to get the series against them unless our D gets some points. So not only does our O have to continue to get field position, they have to produce at least 3 TD's in order to keep pace with what the Esks are doing, so I say just get the victory tonight and I will be happy.
Entertainment value = an all time low