Danny Watkins

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Great article, JH. Merci.
DANNY WATKINS, OL, Baylor
... projecting as a late first-round selection. Teams like the No. 30 Bears and No. 31 Steelers are thought to have him squarely in their sights.

NFL scouts I've talked to rave about Watkins and his NFL potential. They don't seem to hold his age against him (he'll be 27 in early November), because offensive linemen can often play well into their late 30s. He may be a relative novice at football, but he's obviously a quick study, no matter what the field.

"Well, I don't have arthritis,'' Watkins said, laughing at a question about his age. "I feel pretty good. I was one of the first guys out of my physical [at the NFL scouting combine]. I'm a little more mature than the other guys. I don't think it's a negative.''
No arthritis. Ha ha Good line. True too. He has not suffered the abuse the body takes even from college and high school playing top level football.
Neither does the NFL. At a shade under 6-4, and 312 pounds, Watkins might start off by moving to guard in the pros, and he worked inside at this year's Senior Bowl. But some teams believe in time he'll be up to the task of handling the high-profile left tackle role, and maybe sooner than most expect.
I've never liked the cookie cutter mentality of some NFL teams. "arms too short to play left tackle" (Nick Kaczur) "not tall enough to play QB" (Drew Brees) "arm not strong enough" (Joe Montana) "not big enough to play running back (Emmitt Smith, although the NFL has finally recognized the ability of smaller RBs) "too physically weak and skinny to play QB" (Tom Brady) et cetera.
It's his hockey experience, he says, that has prepared him for playing football in the trenches. "There's a lot of knee bend, and the way you put your feet in the run game is similar to skating,'' said Watkins, who was drafted by the CFL's B.C. Lions as the fourth overall pick in 2010. "Obviously, moving backwards in hockey was very natural to me and in pass protection. A lot has been able to carry over to my benefit.''
Very interesting. Supports the view of some that kids should play a multitude of sports, and not focus just on one.

For myself, I will watch the career of Danny Watkins. I would love to see him go to a good franchise such as the Steelers or the Bears. Or the Patriots. Please, Lord, not the Cowboys. I used to like them, before egomaniac Jerry Jones fired Jimmy Johnson, along with the departure of Bobby Ackles, who was a Jimmy Johnson guy.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.theprovince.com/business/mor ... story.html
The morning briefing

The Province April 6, 2011 There is no assurance that Danny Watkins will continue his improbable pro football journey, unless he'll settle for a few hundred thousand dollars less and play for the B.C. Lions this year. He has, however, assured himself of a cheering section at the NFL draft in New York.

The offensive lineman from West Kelowna and Baylor University in Texas has accepted an offer to attend the threeday draft, which starts April 28. It's a strong indication Watkins will be a high pick, perhaps becoming the first player in 25 seasons to be taken in the first round of the CFL and NFL drafts in succeeding years.

The Lions took Watkins fourth overall last year, before his stock rose dramatically in his senior NCAA season, and have long since admitted he won't be in their lineup any time soon. All he must do is wait out the NFL lockout.

Watkins, 26, had not even played junior football until 2007 when he joined the Okanagan Sun. The 310-pound Mt. Boucherie high school grad was encouraged to give up hockey and rugby and try football by members of West Kelowna Fire Rescue where he worked.

Payback will come at the draft. According to ESPN and NFL Network, Watkins will pay for a few of his firefighting pals to travel to New York. To everyone but the Lions, it's storybook stuff
Started junior football in 2007. Amazing.
David
Team Captain

There must have been at least a few CFL GMs snickering when the Lions took Danny Watkins with the #4 overall pick when they had no intention of taking him in the 1st or even 2nd round. Thank goodness Shawn Gore was still there at #10 overall. Considering we've had 9 (nine!) #1 draft picks since 2006, we sure don't have a lot to show for it.

I know so many scouts, draft experts, and pundits can't be wrong, but I still want to see how Watkins stacks up against the big boys and not a 26 year old going up against 19 year olds before declaring him the next Brett Romberg.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

I know some of us have been critical of a few of past picks, myself included, it seems the Lions always get a free pass because of guys like Paris Jackson, Ricky Foley, Javy Glatt and Jason Clermont....guys that seemed destined for a position. In hindsight it seems there was not a lot of skill that had to go into picking them. Although many clubs did pass them up.

If you look over recent times though, picks like Matt Carter, Adam Nicholson, Josh Bean, Jay Pottinger (shudder), Justin Sorenson, Jon H-R and all the other offensive lineman that never cracked the lineup...it seems that we have been cursed and have had to go the route of picking up NI players that have been cut loose but their clubs to fill positions we should have developed. see: O'Neill Wilson, Joe McGrath, Jesse Newman

The later rounds of the draft are certainly a crap shoot because honestly, after pick 20, the talent pool seems to get a bit shallow. That being said, the Lions did very well last season with the exception of Nate Binder, all picks cracked either the practice squad or limited game time......even Matt Chapedelaine, which pissed many of you off when we chose him in the 6th round.

I know Obie played a huge role in our picks and player development and we haven't done poorly with the exception of drafting linemen, but why pick a guy even the pundits on here knew would never see a play in 3 down football....seems like a very long shot at best for your 1st pick. :dizzy:
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Rammer
Team Captain

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:
I know Obie played a huge role in our picks and player development and we haven't done poorly with the exception of drafting linemen, but why pick a guy even the pundits on here knew would never see a play in 3 down football....seems like a very long shot at best for your 1st pick. :dizzy:
I am not disagreeing with your points WCBF, but the Lions have benefited with some picks like Thelwell, Foley and Gore which the Lions took a flyer on and have had success. This is a very nice way to get the best NI's, if they don't pan out in their NFL workouts, just as Lumsden was for Hamilton, a blue chipper until he hit the injury bug.
Entertainment value = an all time low
ziggy
Legend

Always a crap shoot given you have to pick the best guy available but not so good the NFL will take him and make your pick a complete waste. :juggle:
Tighthead
Legend

Watkins had a big senior year - he is a late bloomer. I don't think he was any more sure fire an NFL pick than Sorenson, who didn't even get a FA deal in the NFL.

As long as you are picking while guys still have a year of eligibility, this is going to happen.

Atogwe was a third rounder - some of those guys wash out in two years, he didn't.
Rids
Rookie

West Coast Blue Fan wrote: but why pick a guy even the pundits on here knew would never see a play in 3 down football....seems like a very long shot at best for your 1st pick. :dizzy:
Going back to the 2010 Draft there was a lot more talk about John Bender being drafted than any other Canadian offensive lineman which is part of why he dropped in the CFL Draft. Bender was coming out of an offense that had three thousand yard rushers, won 13 games this year and was a win away from being part of the BCS talk however there's a fair bit of doubt that he'll even be looked at in the NFL. Watkins was considered good but a long shot to be drafted - too old, too small for tackle, not enough experience. Now he's got a shot at being a top 20 pick.
www.JessicaRidley.com << my country singing wife
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Kelo ... story.html

Great article by sixbeamers about Watkins.

And in regard to the firefighters, I was never so proud of my city, as when Vancouver firefighters went out to the street and raised $6 million, I think it was, in support of the firefighters of New York after 911.

Watkins is taking 5 of the Kelowna firefighters to New York for the NFL draft. He sounds like an awesome young man. :thup:
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:I know so many scouts, draft experts, and pundits can't be wrong, but I still want to see how Watkins stacks up against the big boys and not a 26 year old going up against 19 year olds before declaring him the next Brett Romberg.

DH
That is an interesting question and an often underestimated factor as players progress through different levels of sports. As a late bloomer Watkins entered college football as a man, not a high school grad. In terms of physical maturity he entered at a level most are just reaching as they are departing. A buddy of mine spent 3 years in the BCHL, including an all-star appearance. After graduating from Junior he played one year with Red Deer College. When he started in the BCHL he was 17 going on 18 and was maybe 5'7" (generous) and 145#. He said the jump from BCHL to Red Deer was much tougher than the jump from Midget to Junior purely because of the physical maturity of the players involved. In Junior he was competing with boys. At Red Deer he was playing against men.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Dann ... story.html

Another great article on Danny Watkins by Mike Beamish ...

Some excerpts ...

“He doesn’t know he’s going to become an instantaneous millionaire. His mom doesn’t know. That’s how genuine Danny is,” says Chris Schultz, the TSN broadcaster who is in New York to cover the draft. “When you look at his background, what he went through to get here, he’s the feel-good story of the draft. A lot of other guys are cognizant that this is an opportunity of a lifetime, the financial payoff for a dream come true. But Danny had no desire to be an NFL player. He was completely dedicated to being a firefighter.”

“He’s never intimidated on the field, and there’s no panic in him,” Baylor head coach Art Briles told The Vancouver Sun. “Maybe it has something to do with his fire training. Danny’s one of the toughest guys, if not the toughest guys, I’ve ever coached. He’s a definite can’t-miss in the NFL.”

“Way, way back, when I got picked, the NFL draft was nowhere like it is today,” Schultz says. “The publicity these kids get today makes them into rock stars, the money that’s available to them and the pressure they feel. The money can change you, for good or for bad. Whoever drafts Danny will do so partly for his maturity [Watkins is 26]. He’s a tough, tough SOB who plays aggressively to the whistle But he’s not a jerk, a polite, yes-sir, no-sir kid. I’m hoping he plays 10 years and makes $10 million.”

“Danny has played only two years of juco [junior college) and two years in the NCAA,” says his agent, Joe Panos, a former NFL lineman. “He’s taken a quarter of the hits most of the other guys have and he comes in fresh. He’s injury free. If he was 26, with a lot of miles on him, it would be a different story. But I can see him playing in the NFL a long, long time.”
mightybuck
Legend

Just drafted by the Eagles
"The most competitive men love the most competitive game" Vince Lombardi

A true friend is someone who walks in when everyone else is walking out
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

mightybuck wrote:Just drafted by the Eagles
21st overall
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Like Don Cherry said: "He's a good Canadian kid. He took his firefighter buddies from Kelowna to the draft. Way ta go, Kid."

Cherry can be an idiot, but he does recognize some of that great Canadian character.

Danny Watkins will have to be a movie someday.

I would like to see the media coverage of when he took his firefighter buddies to the 911 site to pay their respects. :thup:

Philly is just about the per-fect fit for him. Andy Reid knows how to build an O Line. The Patriots and Steelers would have been good too.