Danny Watkins

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rodu
Champion

With the situation between the NFL and NFLPA still on going, what are the chances he comes back to Canada this year?
Tighthead
Legend

Rodu wrote:With the situation between the NFL and NFLPA still on going, what are the chances he comes back to Canada this year?

I don't see someone who is a high second round draft pick risking injury playing for 5 figures.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Depends on the NFL draft. High pick. Bye bye.

I think that is the likely scenario.

If the NFL values him highly, he would be making a financial mistake to commit to the Lions for two years.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Rodu wrote:With the situation between the NFL and NFLPA still on going, what are the chances he comes back to Canada this year?
The NFL/NFLPA thing will have absolutely zero impact on Watkins just as it will be a non-factor for all but the fringest of NFL prospects. The only thing that would push him north would be if he went undrafted. If he signs in the CFL he removes himself from playing in the NFL until 2013 at the earliest. By then he'd be 28 going on 29. If the option year clause was still in place I'd give a slight chance some of these guys would come north. The CFL is not an option for guys like this just to play football while the NFL is sorting their labour situation given they have to commit for 2 years. Even if the NFL was to lose the 2011 season Watkins stands to earn more as an NFL rookie in 2012 than he would earn in two CFL seasons, not to mention how much he'd potential reduce his NFL prospects by trying to enter at 28 instead of 26.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

As usual we seem like so many hungry dogs that when our owner throws out some delicious fatty scraps on the ground to devour, we embarrass ourselves in a fight where the scraps evaporate before we have the chance to enjoy them in the 1st place. :surrender:
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
joe kapp22
Legend

Well, do we really need him for the Oline?

Not saying he isn't talented, not at all, more saying the Oline should be solid as it is without Danny Watkins.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

You can never have enough depth at any position.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

From what we hear, if the NFL scouts continue to like him a lot, and have him pegged correctly, and if somehow (strike?) he didn't go to the NFL, he would be a dominant O Lineman in the CFL. As a non import.

Ratio changer as a tackle.

Wally would be all over him. Doesn't matter how much depth of NI linemen you have. IMO ...

To me its kind of like who wins a trade? Well, conventional knowledge has it that the team that gets the best player wins the trade.

From what we hear at this stage, Watkins could be that good. Dunno ... He might disappoint the NFL guys. His pre-draft rating could change. If he came up here, he might not even be a star in the CFL (I suspect he would not disappoint as has Justin Sorensen). But the odds are he is gonna make the NFL. Couple of challenges he faces: age, and relative inexperience. IMO ...
David
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:....But the odds are he is gonna make the NFL. Couple of challenges he faces: age, and relative inexperience. IMO ...
IIRC, wasn't was a little "undersized" for the tackle position (relatively speaking)? Still, he could bulk up to the obligatory 320-330 lb weight that league seems to favor (or be switched to Guard). Let's also not overlook the fact that, at 25-26, he was physically much more mature than a lot of guys he was going up against in the Big 12. Not saying he can't make an NFL roster as he's a gifted athlete by all accounts. But it's going to be a quantum leap in his first camp down there.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Tighthead
Legend

At this point, teams view Watkins as someone who can come in and start right away at G. There is a good chance he goes somewhere around pick #40, so he will definitely make a roster.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:....But the odds are he is gonna make the NFL. Couple of challenges he faces: age, and relative inexperience. IMO ...
IIRC, wasn't was a little "undersized" for the tackle position (relatively speaking)? Still, he could bulk up to the obligatory 320-330 lb weight that league seems to favor (or be switched to Guard). Let's also not overlook the fact that, at 25-26, he was physically much more mature than a lot of guys he was going up against in the Big 12. Not saying he can't make an NFL roster as he's a gifted athlete by all accounts. But it's going to be a quantum leap in his first camp down there.

DH
I caught part of an interview with Watkins on NFL satellite radio yesterday. Sounds like when he played in the Senior Bowl this year they switched him over to guard. It seems like he is deemed more suitable to guard than tackle due to lack of ideal height and having "short arms". They do like their tackles to be tall with a big wingspan down there. I''d imagine how players are deployed in the Senior Bowl is driven mostly by the NFL scouts. They'd want to see how Watkins performs in the position they project him to playing in the future.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

We know how the NFL types have their cookie cutter ideas about players, their formulas, and their ideas about body types.

And there are some coaches like Bill Belichick who are more inclined to think about productivity: can the player do the job?

Nick Kaczur comes to mind. Undersized Canadian, playing U.S. college football as a tackle. Drafted 100th pick. 6'4", 315 lbs. About the same size as Danny Watkins. Kaczur has obviously done very well playing tackle in the NFL for the often-times champion New England Patriots.

We know the NFL guys have talked about converting Watkins to guard. That is a possibility. But it could also be uptight, stereotypical thinking. He might just as well play tackle in the NFL. He has dominated as a tackle in U.S. college ball.

In any case, whether it is guard or tackle, despite his age, despite his relative inexperience, and despite his lack of preferred body type, he would seem to be a good bet to make it in the NFL.

When you consider the disadvantages he has faced, and faces, as above, one is struck by the thought that he must be a helluva player. Very physical, I gather. Explosive. Sounds like a guy I would love to see play, anywhere.
joe kapp22
Legend

Danny Watkins is going to be drafted by the NFL, right now I'd think in the 4th rd, possibly just a tad later.

As WCJ points out, Nick Kaczur managed the move and he played both G and T for the New England Patriots, who BTW have a small mtn of draft choices they can easily take him.

As I said, I personally feel we are more than talented enough on the offencive line so it does not come as a blow, or shouldn't, what I don't like is we passed on Kristen Matte and Chima Ihekwoaba to take Watkins when he was a long shot to play for us.

Credit Wally for rolling the dice, think there maybe were better moves to be made, but he is the all time winningest, I have a keyboard... :wink:
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Watkins is ranked the #2 OG in the draft. He is not coming to BC under any conditions.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... &genpos=OT
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Tighthead
Legend

ed_lunsford wrote:Danny Watkins is going to be drafted by the NFL, right now I'd think in the 4th rd, possibly just a tad later.
Watkins has now been invited to attend the draft. I can't see him making it past Dallas at 40, at the absolute latest.