QB - Who Would You Start in Regina?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Matt Dunigan says Buck Pierce should start in Regina with DeMarco as the backup. I think Buck should start and Lulay ready to step in at any juncture. Who will start? I think Lulay will start and Buck will back up.

Why would I start Buck? Because if he fails its easier for Lulay to step in. Its also easier to pull Buck if he is not moving the offence than it would be to pull Lulay. Secondly I know our record of going with or overusing a rusty quarterback in the playoffs.

Why will Lulay start? Because he won a Grey Cup for us in 2011, had a good season in 2012 and because he is our #1 starter if healthy. I would rather take the pressure off starting him. He is often a slow starter in games when he is not rusty. Buck has played well in his last two games. The risk is lower to start Buck and then insert Lulay if Buck is not hot.

But I realize there will be different views.

Here is a Province article which looks at the topic and incorporates Matt Dunigan's thoughs on the subject.

Lulay not fragile nor frustrated by pundits

TSN’s Matt Dunigan doesn’t think the Lions’ QB is ready for playoff action, but Travis Lulay begs to disagree

By Lowell Ullrich, The Province November 5, 2013 7:04 PM

He came. He threw. He didn’t wince. He didn’t look fragile.

Travis Lulay will not ever win over everyone who follows the B.C. Lions nor attempt to do so, but he won over his team again last week and Tuesday made even more of an impression on his coach as the CFL team began to get serious for their West Division playoff final date against the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

If it was up to a former Lions legend like Matt Dunigan, the move as to who should start at quarterback Sunday would be to go first with Buck Pierce, then to Thomas DeMarco.

Dunigan said on Team 1040 this week that Lulay was still fragile, unable to make the throws necessary against a dominant Saskatchewan defensive front.

The TSN analyst also wrote at the network’s website that his arm wasn’t nearly 100 per cent, though he could envision a scenario whereby Lulay came off the bench, as he did Friday against the Calgary Stampeders.

But start? According to Dunigan, that should be Pierce, the same quarterback that he suggested in 2012 — when Pierce was with Winnipeg — who should consider retirement.

“I believe (Lulay’s) not ready,” Dunigan wrote. “It’s one thing to make some throws during practice with no setbacks, and it’s one thing to complete three passes and score a touchdown in a real game without a hand being laid on you, but it’s a totally different ball game when asked to make all the throws on the field and take real football shots from an angry Rider Nation defence looking to punish an already wonky throwing shoulder any chance they get.”

But when the work week began, Lulay was first to take offensive reps and didn’t show any signs of stress on his throwing shoulder.

A quarterback who didn’t need motivation to make his first start in almost two months looked like a guy who had just been handed another boost when the Lions had just finished their first workout of the week at B.C. Place Stadium.

“I don’t know what I would have said to give him that impression,” said Lulay of a conversation he had with Dunigan.

“Do I need to prove my toughness? Don’t listen to the pundits. It was another positive step today.”

Indeed, if coach Mike Benevides was leaning toward giving Pierce the start Sunday, the quarterback whose skill set is the basis of the offensive scheme has made it a more formidable decision.

But the Lions have clearly reached playoff mode, where truth is often the first casualty, and even if Benevides has determined the 13 plays Lulay had last week against Calgary was enough to convince him to go back to his leader, he wasn’t saying.

“If you were honest with yourself, it was a small sample size (against Calgary) but he was able to draw together our team, made a deep throw and a play in the end zone,” Benevides said after watching Lulay and Pierce divide reps, which has been the norm among Lions quarterbacks for some time.

“To see him be emotional, that’s important because let’s understand something: him being out there is a tremendous boost. I don’t seem him as being fragile at all.”

But the quarterbacking scenario won’t be finalized until after the Lions hold a closed practice Thursday, and may not be the only move made by a team which is about to play the Riders for the fourth time in less than two months.

B.C. had to practice Tuesday with Korey Williams replacing fellow receiver Emmanuel Arceneaux, who was slowed by a leg issue in the Lions’ last game. Defensive lineman Keron Williams, on the other hand, wore a scout team jersey for a brief stretch, though fellow defensive starters Korey Banks and Josh Bell had returned.

“I’m 100 per cent healthy,” said Williams, and as such expects to play Sunday.

So too does Lulay, even if that does not produce a universally positive reaction.

lullrich@theprovince.com
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
MexicoLionFan
Legend

I would start Andrew Harris at QB and go wild cat the whole game...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

IMO having a QB throw only 4 passes is not getting him game ready rather it looked like carefully testing his arm and bringing him along slowly.

Start Buck and have Lulay go in only if Buck falters and that way it works if Lulay's arm is not 100% but can handle a partial less than 25 passes per game.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I have no idea if Travis is physically ready and able to take a big hit.

I agree with those saying start Buck for several reasons:
1. As noted it is far easier to go to Lulay than to take out your no. 1 QB if he is struggling (and not hurt). It is always a negative as coaches wait too late and lose all momentum they might have had when they do make the change.
2. Buck has shown his old confidence and magic are back and it is clear this team believes in him.
3. Why risk Lulay any more than you have to as it is 3 games to go to win a GC and you just might need to continue with more than QB for a lot of reasons.
4. Lulay is seemingly feeding off Buck's energy and these guys are not Dickenson and Printers and can live and work together just fine as we're down to where every game is won or out time and the Lions can sense that now they have a chance.

My sense is that Pierce and Lulay to finish this season must get us to a GC game! Maybe wishful thinking but finally I'm excited about the Lions again.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Matt Dunigan is a QB who threw balls in a hotel lobby so he could get snaps in a Grey Cup game. I respect him as a commentator, player, ex-coach etc... but really WHO CARES? Does Lulay, Pierce, DeMarco or Benevides (JC?) care what Dunigan and/or any of us think? What I find puzzling as someone who really has BEEN in this situation, why would Dunigan say this? I know it helps your credibility as a broadcaster but it certainly WASN'T HOW you DID things, Dunigan! And you've gotten lots of Kudos/Respect for it too. Bottom line though is he certainly didn't wait until it was probably the right time according to Doctors etc... It was Grey CUp time and Dunigan DID NOT WANT TO WATCH HIS TEAM'S season end when he felt he could contribute to that season continuing to be successful. Lulay, Pierce, DeMarco are NO DIFFERENT I'm betting. AND ELLIOT too!

I think the Coaches know who to start. They've seen the practices. IMO, I would like to see Pierce get the start. I would love to see him keep getting starts and continuing to have success. But if he struggles Lulay and/or DeMarco are there. Its options. The same options work the other ways too. Start Lulay and if he struggles etc.... The hollywood scriptwriters would probably love to see Pierce have that defining moment. Its weird at times. Guys struggle for years to get the control. And the times they least expect it, perhaps it is the time to write the really amazing stories. Like McManus when he was there to help when our starter K. Austin was under the weather with injuries.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Reports indicate that Lulay was taking the majority of the first team reps today which may indicate Lulay might get the nod. I hope Benevides doesn't fall into the same trap as Buono starting a rusty Dave Dickenson in the Grey Cup. Very difficult to assess Lulay's readiness based on 10 plays or so in last week's game. I would start Buck Pierce.
South Pender
Legend

I would definitely start Pierce. Lulay may be just one hard hit from re-injuring that shoulder; thus, save him for emergency work if Buck falters. I find it hard to see DeMarco having any role to play unless we're hit hard with injuries to both Pierce and Lulay.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Lulay will start. Benevides will play coy and not make it official until Friday or Saturday but the depth chart will be Lulay followed by Pierce and DeMarco.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

my guess is lulay will start.

my opinion is that he should not play unless the lions are going nowhere without him.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
SammyGreene
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:Lulay will start. Benevides will play coy and not make it official until Friday or Saturday but the depth chart will be Lulay followed by Pierce and DeMarco.
I agree BC FAN. The logical decision would be to start Buck and Travis to step in if need be. But under that scenario he would very likely enter the game with the Lions trailing and who knows by what deficit. I suspect Lulay will be taking a lot of reps and, more importantly, throwing a lot of balls at practice this week to see how his shoulder responds to it. Any kind of setbacks then it's Plan B.

I think this is an organization that is rather desperate to salvage a disappointing season by its own standards — from the on field product to attendance. Wally has turned up the heat in recent weeks and the signing of players such as Logan suggests that as well. If their franchise QB looks good in practice and can play in a sudden death playoff game then he is going to be on the field.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:my guess is lulay will start.

my opinion is that he should not play unless the lions are going nowhere without him.
Did you see this team with DeMarco under center? Where do you think they're going without him?

Better to have Travis start and Buck come in to try and salvage things than the other way around.
almo89
Legend

If Lulay is going to have his traditional slow start, they should really establish Logan and Harris early on.
David
Team Captain

Who will start? Travis.

Who should start? Buck.

I like the idea of Buck stepping out onto the field with the offense - I think it will throw the Riders off as they're expecting Travis. Depending on what kind of half Buck has, either keep him in the game or go to Travis in the 2nd half. I think a switch to Travis, if needed, would provide a real lift to the team. But if Travis their leader starts and hurts his wonky shoulder again (which, I've read, will need surgery after the season), then the opposite effect could happen. Matt Dunigan, whose opinion I respect, had this to say in his TSN blog:

I believe they should ride Pierce as deep into the playoffs as he can go. He has the arm strength, foot speed and that special "it" factor that is infectious when he is rolling. As coach John Jenkins used to say to me all the time, “I got a pocket full of quarters Hoss, put another one in ride and let's roll.” The Lions should ride Pierce until that pocket is empty.

He gives this team a veteran presence and certainly has the skill set, by land or by air to inflict serious damage on Saskatchewan's defence. With the added run game emphasis and change in philosophy four weeks ago to revamp that dormant run game, Pierce's speed and ability to run presents far more problems for Saskatchewan. Andrew Harris, Logan and Pierce form a potentially deadly trio to account for.

As for Lulay, after what I witnessed the other night in BC Place, I believe he's not ready. It's one thing to make some throws during practice with no setbacks, and it's one thing to complete three passes and score a touchdown in a real game without a hand being laid on you, but it's a totally different ball game when asked to make all the throws on the field and take real football shots from an angry Rider Nation defence looking to punish an already wonky throwing shoulder any chance they get.

I can tell you his arm isn't anywhere near 100% and being the future of the Lions, I'd be surprised if he started, but could see him coming in off the bench at some point.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
JohnHenry
Champion

I'd start off with DeMarco running the first 20 scripted-plays or so. Then insert Buck who would play the bulk of the game. Lulay could play in the 4th Q if the offence needed a spark.
South Pender
Legend

David wrote:Who will start? Travis.

Who should start? Buck.

I like the idea of Buck stepping out onto the field with the offense - I think it will throw the Riders off as they're expecting Travis. Depending on what kind of half Buck has, either keep him in the game or go to Travis in the 2nd half. I think a switch to Travis, if needed, would provide a real lift to the team. But if Travis their leader starts and hurts his wonky shoulder again (which, I've read, will need surgery after the season), then the opposite effect could happen. Matt Dunigan, whose opinion I respect, had this to say in his TSN blog:

I believe they should ride Pierce as deep into the playoffs as he can go. He has the arm strength, foot speed and that special "it" factor that is infectious when he is rolling. As coach John Jenkins used to say to me all the time, “I got a pocket full of quarters Hoss, put another one in ride and let's roll.” The Lions should ride Pierce until that pocket is empty.

He gives this team a veteran presence and certainly has the skill set, by land or by air to inflict serious damage on Saskatchewan's defence. With the added run game emphasis and change in philosophy four weeks ago to revamp that dormant run game, Pierce's speed and ability to run presents far more problems for Saskatchewan. Andrew Harris, Logan and Pierce form a potentially deadly trio to account for.

As for Lulay, after what I witnessed the other night in BC Place, I believe he's not ready. It's one thing to make some throws during practice with no setbacks, and it's one thing to complete three passes and score a touchdown in a real game without a hand being laid on you, but it's a totally different ball game when asked to make all the throws on the field and take real football shots from an angry Rider Nation defence looking to punish an already wonky throwing shoulder any chance they get.

I can tell you his arm isn't anywhere near 100% and being the future of the Lions, I'd be surprised if he started, but could see him coming in off the bench at some point.

DH :cool:
I couldn't agree more. Although Dunigan isn't always right, I think this time he's just perfectly nailed the situation facing the Lions and how to deal with it.