Enjoy FanFest?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

Went to the Season Ticket Fan Fest today. Good crowd in attendance. Got to chat briefly with Wally Buono. He asked if I'd gotten any autographs and I told him "No, I did that last year after you guys won the Cup, I'll get autographs again next year, hopefully".

Definately this is an event like so many others. Figure out what everybody else is doing and don't do that. Smart plan of action? Skip the Season Tickets pickup queue and join the autograph line. Then, check out the new merchandise (nothing jumped off the shelf but looked good). Its hard to invest in stuff when you know you might be able to pick it up dirt cheap at the Locker-room sale in December.....

I think the Lions/BC Place did an effective job of trying to get this event in today. The Marching Band was awesome! I would have preferred a little more room on the concourse for what they were trying to get done. The line up to check out merchandise was quite long!!! The food lineup was long after the program. By then the Season Ticket pickups were quick and it was (I'm guessing, I didn't wait) a halfhour lineup when I arrived.

Season Ticket package? Nothing to complain about. The laynard will get some good use. I loved the shedule fridge magnets but alas, none this season. Oh well that is what calendars are for........
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

What swag accompanied the tickets ? Calendar ?
notahomer
Hall of Famer

A BC Lions laynard to hold your ticket in. Its a good idea, IMO. In the past my ticket would end up crumpled. SInce the tickets look nice, at least this way they can be hung in the laynard and make it home in relatively good condition.

The tickets have been printed in a book like format, like this year, before. And it comes in a collector box that reminds me of a cigar box.

I liked the calendars we used to get and/or fridge magnet. The cigar box looks nice. Certainly having my mitts on the tickets is always a happy realization that CFL football is just around the corner.....
dtrain
Starter

I was there too, seems to get better each year, great to be back at the stadium.
Note for uniform junkies: they've corrected the orange fabric colour on new Reebok jerseys, no longer a faded, peachy 'Lulu Lemon' orange, but a brighter, deeper orange, just like what the players wear.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Walked out of the stadium feeling good about being a season ticket holder and excited for the season so mission accomplished on the Lions part. Love the MEI marching band too and the cigar box is great for the Geroy stamps and other Lions swag. Smart idea with the plastic collector cups through the BC Place concession. Looks like that was the first of three they are giving out this season.
David
Team Captain

dtrain wrote:I was there too, seems to get better each year, great to be back at the stadium.
Note for uniform junkies: they've corrected the orange fabric colour on new Reebok jerseys, no longer a faded, peachy 'Lulu Lemon' orange, but a brighter, deeper orange, just like what the players wear.
Line-ups for schwag were brisk - I dropped a 100 bills, not sure the average ring but they were doing a tidy business. This event makes a lot of sense. Get people to collect their season tickets and save on mailing costs, AND launch your new items at the same time. Also great to meet alumni Jim Young, Al Wilson, Glen Jackson, John Henry White, Ty Crews, and Sean Millington. :thup:

Yes dtrain, very happy the club has gone for a darker orange this year. I can never figure out why they have never adopted a single uniform shade of orange for all of their merchandise. What you see instead is licensed merchandise that ranges from pale orange all the way to burnt orange.....sometimes featured on the same item! It's often a hodgepodge mess. This odd phenomenon actually extends to the sideline in the fall. Watch when the players put on the black warmup jackets with orange trim....the orange is a complete mismatch with their pants. You don't see this with established brands in other sports.

For example, the University of Texas is very strict in how their colours are represented. From their website: "the school's colors are officially Orange (Pantone 159) and White, with Burnt Orange — also known as Texas Orange – being the specific shade of orange used......the distinctive burnt orange color plays a major role in establishing our identity and should be implemented consistently in all print communications such as business cards, letterhead and presentations, as well as a broad range of marketing materials. Please refer to our Identity Standards Guide for use of university visual assets."

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
dtrain wrote:I was there too, seems to get better each year, great to be back at the stadium.
Line-ups for schwag were brisk - I dropped a 100 bills, not sure the average ring but they were doing a tidy business. This event makes a lot of sense. Get people to collect their season tickets and save on mailing costs, AND launch your new items at the same time. Also great to meet alumni Jim Young, Al Wilson, Glen Jackson, John Henry White, Ty Crews, and Sean Millington. :thup:

Yes dtrain, very happy the club has gone for a darker orange this year. I can never figure out why they have never adopted a single uniform shade of orange for all of their merchandise. What you see instead is licensed merchandise that ranges from pale orange all the way to burnt orange.....sometimes featured on the same item! It's often a hodgepodge mess. This odd phenomenon actually extends to the sideline in the fall. Watch when the players put on the black warmup jackets with orange trim....the orange is a complete mismatch with their pants. You don't see this with established brands in other sports.

For example, the University of Texas is very strict in how their colours are represented. From their website: "the school's colors are officially Orange (Pantone 159) and White, with Burnt Orange — also known as Texas Orange – being the specific shade of orange used......the distinctive burnt orange color plays a major role in establishing our identity and should be implemented consistently in all print communications such as business cards, letterhead and presentations, as well as a broad range of marketing materials. Please refer to our Identity Standards Guide for use of university visual assets."

I completely agree with you on the colour uniformity issue, David. It's almost as if the team consistently gets each batch of product manufactured in whatever shade of orange happens to give them the best deal when they sign the contract. This was brought up in the cresting thread; most organisations in general, not just pro sports, have very strict policies about this sort of thing and UofT's language is very much the rule rather than the exception. I wonder if this issue plagues other CFL teams; I've never really examined it all that closely.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
David
Team Captain

This may seem nitpicky to some, but establishing set colours with the right pantone should be fundemental to any brand.

This is what I am talking about:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
CardiacKid
Legend

My wife and I made the trip over from Victoria and thoroughly enjoyed it! This is our first year as season ticket holders ( done the flex pass thing before) and we felt the club made a special effort to show an appreciation for those fans. Being fans not from the the lower mainland, we don't get a lot of chances to meet current players or alumni so that was really special. Al Wilson was hilarious and it was great to see John Henry White; does anyone know if he lives in Vancouver? Tim Brown never stops smiling. Totally wish there was more time to stop and chat with the guys but the lineups were long but that is a good thing.

We had no idea what to expect for turnout and we thought the number of fans there was really positive but maybe it was similar to previous years? Hope the club reports what the numbers were...

There were a couple of goofy moments but hey, we would go again without hesitation.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote: ...
We had no idea what to expect for turnout and we thought the number of fans there was really positive but maybe it was similar to previous years?...
I think the numbers were similar to previous years. The big difference is the access to field level. Taking the dressing room tour is fun. I didn't bother this year but the first time you get to see inside, its cool. I know they still had tours this year. What they didn't have is access to the field. Last year, for instance, those player lineups were out on the field instead of on the concourse. As they said, it had to be on the concourse this year due to the Stadium setting up for a show/fair. It is always fun interacting with the players (present/past). Glad you had a good time.......
woody
Champion

I was stuffed,they kept asking me if i had a food coupon!

here are some pictures from the event.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/woodylionb ... 882367903/
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote: Al Wilson was hilarious and it was great to see John Henry White; does anyone know if he lives in Vancouver?
Yes, he is real estate agent.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote:This may seem nitpicky to some, but establishing set colours with the right pantone should be fundemental to any brand.

This is what I am talking about:

A picture is worth a thousand words. I agree the Lions need to standardize their colour schemes.
dtrain
Starter

woody wrote:I was stuffed,they kept asking me if i had a food coupon!

here are some pictures from the event.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/woodylionb ... 882367903/
Is that not bruce willis in one of those pics?

Yippykayeah you Lions!
dtrain
Starter

Ok, i've been punked - i saw the Pacino pic, were those cardboard cutouts?