Offensive Offence Tonight...Lee, Messam, ????

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

beachboy
prospect

Let me get this out of the way first: with 16 penalties it won't matter who your playing, you probably won't win !! But I'm very concerned about our offence and YES it starts with the COORDINATOR !!! So here is the list of issues as I see it:

1. No in-game answers for rush: HELLO screen pass, quarterback draw, delayed run up middle, quick crossing screens....But wait, I've wanted those for 5 years !!

2. All we heard about the whole training camp was what talents Lee, Messam, and Harris are.....Did these people MOVE provinces ?? Where the heck are they in the offence ?? Your telling me a Jamall Lee screen pass wouldn't have worked against a 7 man blitz ??

3. How can Printers look worse than he did at the end of last year with training camp/pre-season in his back pocket ?? Well, a too complicated Chapdelaine offence. That's how !! Printers looks hesitant, confused and uncomfortable. Printer's is a reactionary quarterback, and he's not reacting.....

4. Red-zone offence: Again today we are at the 10 yard line and on first down after a few decent running plays with a blitz coming we DON'T run the ball even though the middle was wide open ???? Absolutely TERRIBLE red-zone play calling......

Something hopefully will change before next Friday...
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I too am frustrated at the seemingly incompetent Chapdelaine countering the blitz. His sole answer to the blitz is quick passes for 5 or 6 yards. We keep hearing that Jamal Lee is a speed merchant; why not try him on kick returns. He can't possibly be any worse than this Jordan guy. Once again our coaches seem incapable of making half time adjustments. :bang:
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

beachboy wrote: 2. All we heard about the whole training camp was what talents Lee, Messam, and Harris are.....Did these people MOVE provinces ?? Where the heck are they in the offence ?? Your telling me a Jamall Lee screen pass wouldn't have worked against a 7 man blitz ??
This coaching staff is NOT going to allow an NI to carry or catch the football out of the backfield. Period. Ever.

Signed, Lyle Green.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Solar Max wrote:
beachboy wrote: 2. All we heard about the whole training camp was what talents Lee, Messam, and Harris are.....Did these people MOVE provinces ?? Where the heck are they in the offence ?? Your telling me a Jamall Lee screen pass wouldn't have worked against a 7 man blitz ??
This coaching staff is NOT going to allow an NI to carry or catch the football out of the backfield. Period. Ever.

Signed, Lyle Green.
Sad but true.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Coaching/play calling is becoming an embarrassment. So the Lions have a young very inexperienced o line, so where are the plays designed to help these guys out? Lions game plan appears to be conceived as if their is a veteran o line out there with no real mid game adjustments.

If the coaching staff can't park their egos, arrogance and stubbornness at the door and start to change and make adjustments then maybe some coaches need to see the door.
Blitz
Team Captain

We're still doing the same things offensively as we have for the past five years and not doing the things we need to do to combat blitzes.

Waht's really changed? Our quarterback in 2010 is under great pressure. Our quarterbacks always have been, for years. Dickenson and Printers were under huge pressure on almost every play in 2005. Dickenson took the massive hits to make throws, Printers ran for his life to throw on the run. We won in 2006 behind a great defense and superior talent to everyone in the league. In 2007, we made strides under Kruck/Dorazio to change our offence and did, but it was too big of a change for some vets.

In 2008, 2009 we returned to the same movie and it's continued, and now in 2010, its more of the same old.. Our quarterbacks are under duress and often get hurt mostly due to the offensive structure we play. Our offensive line takes the blame as it always has, whether we had great vets there or now a bunch of rookies. We'll lead the league in giving up the most sacks, whether we have a mobile quarterback or a pocket quarterback in there, as we usually do. Our offensive line will have to try to block more people than there are offensive lineman.

Defences will blitz the hell out of us and eventually wear our offence down. Its the recipe for opposition success. We won't change our approach. The frustration continues and no quarterback or offensive line can overcome it by themselves.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:We're still doing the same things offensively as we have for the past five years and not doing the things we need to do to combat blitzes.

Waht's really changed? Our quarterback in 2010 is under great pressure. Our quarterbacks always have been, for years. Dickenson and Printers were under huge pressure on almost every play in 2005. Dickenson took the massive hits to make throws, Printers ran for his life to throw on the run. We won in 2006 behind a great defense and superior talent to everyone in the league. In 2007, we made strides under Kruck/Dorazio to change our offence and did, but it was too big of a change for some vets.

In 2008, 2009 we returned to the same movie and it's continued, and now in 2010, its more of the same old.. Our quarterbacks are under duress and often get hurt mostly due to the offensive structure we play. Our offensive line takes the blame as it always has, whether we had great vets there or now a bunch of rookies. We'll lead the league in giving up the most sacks, whether we have a mobile quarterback or a pocket quarterback in there, as we usually do. Our offensive line will have to try to block more people than there are offensive lineman.

Defences will blitz the hell out of us and eventually wear our offence down. Its the recipe for opposition success. We won't change our approach. The frustration continues and no quarterback or offensive line can overcome it by themselves.
Like Burratto before ... Baresi and Kruck have been shown the door... familiar pattern with these moves during JC's stints.

JC just doesn't strike me as a cerebral offensive talent who can develop a play book and call a game to take advantage of their strengths or avoid their weaknesses. He seems to be the one guy standing when the other offensive coaches get the gas.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
joe kapp22
Legend

I do know, this, if any of the Olineman who played last night cash their paycheck this week they will have committed a successful dalyight robbery.

I'd rather insert Randolph and Reid into the lineup.

I'd also be curious to hear what Dorazio has to say.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Bobbyp
Champion

Every ones got it wrong the coaching staff has it right. They wrote the plays down on a piece of paper and they worked and were running it till it does. :tease:
Some mispelling may or may not occur as well as using a word incorrectly in my posts
READER CAUTION IS STRICTLY ADVISED
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:We're still doing the same things offensively as we have for the past five years and not doing the things we need to do to combat blitzes.

Maybe it's time Roy Shivers and Wally Buono to have another chat.
Gary
Starter

These weaknesses were all apparent last week...unfortunately the Rider D is a lot more competent that the Eskimo D...seriously, we haven't had an effective offense since Burratto left after the 04 season.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Gary wrote:These weaknesses were all apparent last week...unfortunately the Rider D is a lot more competent that the Eskimo D...seriously, we haven't had an effective offense since Burratto left after the 04 season.
I agree on your last point (though 2007 demanded a different type of offense that was frustrating to watch but worked more often than not).

I disagree about weaknesses being apparent last week. The team ran early, and ran well early, and used actual honest to goodness run plays that we hadn't seen in previous years, so they used play action pretty effectively late. That didn't happen at all this week.

This isn't the exact same offense as the ones we've seen in previous years. There were significantly less bunch formations this week, and more spreads. Not that that was the right strategy considering the state of the line and the tacks taken by the Riders front seven. As has been stated repeatedly, receivers such as Geroy and Paris Jackson should not be depended upon to pick up the block on a stunting linebacker. This is why your roster has fullbacks. This is what you wasted most of Lyle Green's career not using him for.

However, the fundamental weaknesses, including lack of halftime adjustments, lack of help for Lulay, etc. when called upon still apply, as they have for roughly six seasons now.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Why is Jamal Lee's apparent speed not better utilized as a kick returner rather than as a blocker on returns ?
QB Club 63
All Star

I don't understand why Robert Jordan is still on the roster. On every kickoff his return partner was Andrew Harris, and every kickoff went to Jordan. See a pattern? The Greenies kicked to the guy they saw as no threat returning the ball. :bang:
David
Team Captain

Even more ridiculous is the fact that we continually elected to have the Riders kick to us after a field goal instead of scrimmaging from the 35. More often than not, due to a poor return or a penalty (or both), we lost field position.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar