Bombers expected to offer contract to Buck within 48 hrs

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

squishy35
Legend

According to TSN.CA the Bombers will offer a contract in 48 hrs (or are expected to).....

Stay tuned......

(Topic merged ... Admin.)
Spud387
Champion

I figured this would happen. He can be too good to just toss aside compared to what else is available. My guess would be the Ti-Cats or Als (if no NFL team wants him). In Winnipeg he would get hammered too much.

I hope Buck goes to the Ti-Cats because A. I like the Ti-Cats (second fav team) so I could still cheer for him, B. they are young and on the upswing.
hwgill
Legend

Montreal also has an O-line that could protect Buck and let him reach his potential.
" ... a team not being prepared to play is the head coach’s responsibility.” - Jim Barker
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I hope to see BP wind up in Montreal... not for the Lion's sake, but for his own. He'd be going to a well run organization, with a good head coach, lots of talent, and a good mentor ahead of him on the depth chart. Sort of like his situation in BC a couple of years ago, well except for a O line that can keep him out of the hospital.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Montreal could be a great fit for Buck. Learn from Anthony Calvillo, who is not only a master QB, but has the ultimate quick release, and any number of veteran survival skills. Marc Trestman would also be a wonderful coach to play for.

Buck could be a top notch backup to Calvillo if it happens that way.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I'm with you guys too on this. Als would be a great fit for Buck and he would Anthony and Trestman to tell him how he must play and avoid the hits! Not sure he has yet understood the change in the way the game is played at the pro level by those who enter the Hall of Fame - they are not only great at how they play, that are great at avoiding the big hits that take them out of games and hurt their team.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Ness
prospect

If he feels okay to play, I hope he finds a good situation for himself. Doesn't matter where he goes, I will always have a soft spot for him.
Hawkballer 14
Champion

Best of luck Buck, I hope that you catch on somewhere. :beauty:

If I'm BP, I jump at any Carolina offer. Competing with Matt Moore for the starting gig, surrounded by playmakers on offense (Steve Smith and Dwayne Jarrett at Wideout, DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart spliting carries in the backfield).

Buck Pierce = the 2010 Jeff Garcia? :yahoo:
MacNews
Team Captain

You guys are all missing the point.

Buck doesn't need to sign in Winnipeg because he is going to be picked up by the NFL, remember?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TSN's Farhan Lalji interviewed Buck at the California tryout. Buck said it was his shoulder, not his head, that kept him out of action at the end of last season, but he is healthy and has a lot to prove. He was clearly focused on landing an NFL job. He said with his pro experience, it would be a good deal for an NFL team to pick him up at a rookie salary.
Video report
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:TSN's Farhan Lalji interviewed Buck at the California tryout. Buck said it was his shoulder, not his head, that kept him out of action at the end of last season, but he is healthy and has a lot to prove. He was clearly focused on landing an NFL job. He said with his pro experience, it would be a good deal for an NFL team to pick him up at a rookie salary.
Video report
Great interview including the US western scout.

I have always said that it was the shoulder issue that was the problem in games just as Buck says here.

Buck is offended by those who say he should retire but as long as he keeps getting poor media advice and doesn't fully and completely address to the public how this shoulder injury is not something that will be chronic due to damage that is either not repaired or cannot be repaired he will continue to get this stuff about retirement or him being injury prone. This is Media Messaging 101 not a Phd level issue. Why his agent doesn't advise him better on this is completely beyond me. I think Buck is terrific but in the absence of a clear statement that addresses the shoulder and how it is not a problem from here on it is very tough not to conclude that he is not a hit away from the bench.

When he says he played hurt and helped the Lions teases you into thinking that maybe if he was out x weeks he'd have been back healthy but he stops short of that. I am pretty sure he could have done as many do and that is simply sit out as if you come back early you get what he is getting when he reinjures the unhealed area.

Most athletes get advice to say just detail what the issue was and how the treatment has now fixed it. Why the Pierce advisors can't see this is astounding!!! It also makes loyal supporters like me think how selfish I am to want to see him play on but what does a fan think when they consistently ignore the ONE and ONLY burning issue with the player. Oh well. I guess we simply have to wait and see but I can tell you that as a huge Pierce fan this is the most frustrating and agonizing issue which could be cleared up so easily.

On the other hand if he has a chronic problem then their silence might explain this.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Tighthead
Legend

Buck can say his shoulder is the problem but he has had a series of concussions, some of them caused by fairly minor knocks.

When he was sitting on the sidelines looking dazed, I am pretty sure that was not his shoulder.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Pierce reiterated that he's fully healthy in an interview Friday with the Winnipeg Free Press. He also had good things to say about the Bombers.
I'm good. I feel healthy and strong and in the best condition I've been in a long time," Pierce said via telephone Friday from Los Angeles. "I've received a clean bill of health. When B.C. released me, they understood I was healthy. The concussions, that's something the media ran with. I took a lot of hits in B.C., but not to the extent the media made it out to be. I played last season after my concus­sion and I played well.

"There have been no effects since. I need to get out and play and I believe I've got a lot of good football left in me."

The Bombers showed no interest in Pierce upon his release from the B.C. Lions earlier this off-season, citing concern for his health.

Reports suggest the club has had a change of heart and the 28-year-old is being courted by as many as three CFL teams, including Winnipeg, as well as three NFL clubs.

"I can't confirm or deny that," Pierce said.

"My agent is talking to some people and we'll let the process play out. I can tell you I think what the people in Winnipeg have done this off-season has impressed me, and I like what coach (Paul) LaPolice did with his quarterbacks in Saskatchewan. That's an historic fran­chise with great fans and it's a great city. Absolutely I'd love to play in Winnipeg if that's the way things were to work out."
Buck might stop here