Leos to wear retros on Sunday!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Yeah!

This was initiated by the Als as they wish to honour the late Sam Etcheverry. It should look good seeing the two best retro unis out on the field.

ImageImage

:bc50:

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Bosco
Team Captain

Retros for this matchup are certainly doable (Lions whites vs Als red) - unlike the Riders / Lions so called retro game last month where both teams would have been in white.
hwgill
Legend

The one thing I hate about all the team's retros (except the Argos) is that they don't have the player's names on them.
" ... a team not being prepared to play is the head coach’s responsibility.” - Jim Barker
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

hwgill wrote:The one thing I hate about all the team's retros (except the Argos) is that they don't have the player's names on them.
:thup:

The CFL have got it right to do with retro but wrong by not using the names if they care about the fan base.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Rammer
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:
hwgill wrote:The one thing I hate about all the team's retros (except the Argos) is that they don't have the player's names on them.
:thup:

The CFL have got it right to do with retro but wrong by not using the names if they care about the fan base.
How many names do you recall seeing a 60's uniform with a name plate on the back of it? If you want authentic, then you go without the name plates. I don't have a problem with it and I also think that it looks much cleaner, everyone has their own opinion on styling, so all points should be looked at.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Argos asked the league for names. Go figure. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I've seen too many retro uniforms this year. Once or twice is a gimmick to create some nostalgia and sell a few jerseys but it's gotten out of hand.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Ballistic Bob wrote:
Argos asked the league for names. Go figure. BB

Notice the no - names jerseys have the Rona sponsor badge etc... interesting.
Most fans like retro but want names. How many are old enough to recall that some old jerseys didn't have names on them? Exactly.. not that many so use your brains CFL teams .. get names on them. They wouldn't ask the sponsors to stop sponsoring them as there was no sponsors in those days now would they!!!??
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
pennw
Legend

While I like BC's retros , most other teams retros suck and have to agree with BCfan here . Overdone already . The Als look ok and EE too . But the rest ? Looks like amateur high school teams or something . Especially crappy looking retros ; Bombers , Argos and Riders .
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

The whole Retro season could have been handled and thought out much better if the CFL had not cut some questionable corners, mixing and matching old helmets with new uniforms, and having stuck to the old home-and-away designs and colors on a more authentic basis.

Like DH has commented on many times before, if it was up to me I would go back to our classic original uniforms color combos, especially the three-stripe, black helmet with burnt orange paw print insignia on it and for good.

Some things you just can’t improve on…

I have always been a huge fan of the Alouettes retro jersey and it's original red wingged helmet, and how watching the late Sam Etcheverry and his great tandem running backs Don Clark (1143 yards – 1961) and George Dixon (1520 yards – 1962) made such a great impression on me as a youngster. I will be thilled watching them play our own retro Lions wearing those very uniforms when the Als played out of the same Percival Molson Memorial Stadium (1954–67). http://www.thats-a-wrap.net/alouettes/team_1960.php

It should be a barnburner on Sunday and the look and feel of an old-time classic tilt will an awesome thing to watch!

Cheers :beer:
Last edited by PigSkin_53 on Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Dan
Rookie

Love it. The 2 sweetest uniforms in all of pro football.
David
Team Captain

Meh, I am not bothered by no name plates on the back of the jersey. I either recognize "Burris to Copeland" or can hear the TV announcer tell me.

The 3 that work for me:

Als - simple red and white combo (no maroon and silver!) with unique (to the CFL) winged helmets.
Lions - hard not to improve on orange pants and white helmets. Still, I love the juxtoposition of plain white jerseys with black numbers & burnt orange sleeves set against all the striping on the helmets, pants and socks. A timeless, classic look.
Tiger-Cats - this one works because they've gone with more of an orange-y yellow so they don't look like bumble-bees any longer. Love the Tiger stripes too. They should go back to these full-time.

(honourable mention: the Riders' Labour Day retros - which is the ones they should have worn all along - not the "Retro Day" ones which they botched).

The 3 that don't work for me:

Bombers - it was bad enough last year; did they have to go back to them two years in a row? Way too bland, even the logo looks like a crest from a private boys school. It's too bad because that organization really nailed it in the late '60's and 70's with one of the best uniforms in the CFL.
Esks - I know I am in the minority here, but I don't like them. Drab green and gold? I feel like if we ever put a team on Mars, this is the uniform they'd adopt. Too hard to pick out the iconic EE on those helmets too. I guess I am too used to seeing the Eskies win all those cups in the bright yellow and green Packer knock-offs.
Stamps - nothing to get excited about here. They've taken away my favorite galloping horse helmet and replaced it with (yawn) a number. Gold pants too? What's that about? They should have gone "retro" with the classy red and white uniform they wore in the late '60s.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I almost missed this in yesterdays Province. It was in one of those thumbnail pieces. I really wish this game wasn't going straight up against the NFL (I just love PROFESSIONAL football). Regardless, there is a storyline and dressed up in the retros, I'm looking forward to this one.