Riders Coach

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

orangegloves
Starter

Not sure if anyone else saw this last night, but I have noticed it for the past two seasons! And it make me furious! The CFL has made great strides in the past 5 years since creating their partnership with Reebok, the merchandise is truly outstanding. Every year they come out with new "sideline" gear, and this includes a number of different hats. So then could someone please tell me why the Hell one of Saskatchewan's coaches is allowed to wear his 2007 Grey Cup champions hat? THAT IS BUSH LEAGUE!!!! I have never seen anyone wear a champions hat after the parade! So could someone with the CFL who happens to read this pick up the phone and tell him to put on the new REEBOK 2009 sideline hat! I find it incredibly disrespectful to all the other teams. I didn't see anyone from Calgary wearing there's on Wednesday night! Oh and the worst part he wore it all season last year as well! There I'm done!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

What's wrong with living in the past ? :wink:
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

I don't understand the issue. Who cares?
orangegloves
Starter

To me its a sign of disrespect. I have never seen this in any other league. In other leagues if you wear the wrong hat you get fined! If the CFL wants to continue growing, it needs to stop bush league things like this! That's my point.
Dan
Rookie

I don't get it, how is that Bush league? As long as it's a Reebok hat it doesn't break any dress code reg's, so who cares, It's just a hat.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

who cares... let the baby have his bottle.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
orangegloves
Starter

To many of you it may just be a stupid hat, or why am I even bringing up this topic.
1. This make the CFL look silly. If anyone person from Pittsburgh Steelers is wearing their Super Bowl Champions hat on the sideline this coming season, I will meet you all at the Terry Fox plaza and eat my 2006 Grey Cup champions hat.
2. This is simple marketing 101 people. If everyone on the sideline wears stuff that is sold on cflshop.ca (As is the case with EVERY OTHER north american league, the merchandise is sold on their websites) then the league makes more money, the teams get more money, the salary cap goes up, the teams can afford better players, the league from a competitive side get's better, the tv money gets bigger, advertising revenue increases, and the league is stronger as a whole, and team owners don't have to bail each other out.
3. The players have to follow a dress code and I thought the same went for sideline personal as well. It would be like a player wearing different socks, or a different helmet than their team mates.
It may just be a stupid hat, but if you look at the big picture, then it is much more than that.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Still not seeing the issue. Who gives a crap about the Pittsburgh Steelers - except if they cut Logan.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

Find me the exact CFL rule that states "all personnel shall refrain from wearing Reebok championship hats on the sideline"

I can understand if the doofus had a Nike hat on, but last time I checked, it was a Reebok hat.
orangegloves
Starter

Alright I give up. No one is able to see the bigger picture that I am trying to portray here. I though that it is poor taste thats all. Hanging a banner is one thing, wearing a hat is something completely different. Players are not allowed to put messages on their uniforms, if a player put 2007 Grey Cup Champs on his tape he would be fined. To me this is no different, but since no one else is able to see it this way I give up. Geezz, people this was easy pickings on the Riders, that was all I was trying to get after!
zark
Champion

:sleep:
He should have had a watermelon on his head.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

orangegloves wrote:Alright I give up. No one is able to see the bigger picture that I am trying to portray here. I though that it is poor taste thats all. Hanging a banner is one thing, wearing a hat is something completely different. Players are not allowed to put messages on their uniforms, if a player put 2007 Grey Cup Champs on his tape he would be fined. To me this is no different, but since no one else is able to see it this way I give up. Geezz, people this was easy pickings on the Riders, that was all I was trying to get after!
I don't think it is a matter of "not being able to see the bigger picture". More to the point, either most of us don't really care what hat someone else is wearing or if they do, simply don't have a problem with his wearing that particular hat. I can appreciate that it is upsetting to you but afraid most of us don't seem to feel similarly. Disagreeing is not the same as not understanding.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Smooth
All Star

I saw this as well. I too thought it looked bush league. It made it look like they couldn't afford to give him a new hat to wear this season. To many people, image is everything, and this portrayed a pretty poor image. I also don't agree with what a lot of the coaches/sideline staff wear. There is often such a variety of 'uniform' items without any consistency. Teams like Edmonton and every NFL team i've seen all seem to wear identical gear. Then you look at a lot of CFL teams and see this year's golf shirt along with shirts from the past 5 years worn over top of a variety of pants/shorts in a variety of colours.

Coach Benevidies wears a hoodie that is 2 sizes too big for him on the sideline. Looks like a high school coach.

It's great that this doesn't bother most of you, and the reason for that is because people on this site are true fans who love the game and don't focus on the frills associated to it. But to the outsider or the casual fan, things like this add up to the negative perception of our league.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

I don't care if they wear orange thongs and fishnet thigh highs, as long as they win. Just sayin. :roar:
Real women wear orange!!