swervin mervin

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

zark
Champion

I inherited a Swervi mervin fernandes poster.I know he went to that other league.I was wondering if he ever comes back up?How well Did he do?Wouldn't mind getting this poster signed.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
Soundy
Hall of Famer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mervyn_Fernandez

"Fernandez currently lives in Morgan Hill, California and works as a sales representative."
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

zark wrote:I inherited a Swervi mervin fernandes poster.I know he went to that other league.I was wondering if he ever comes back up?How well Did he do?Wouldn't mind getting this poster signed.

You might see him at the odd alumni event at a game but I don't hear about him being around much.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
I_Bleed_Orange
Starter

JohnHenry wrote:Good luck getting his sig now. I think Merv needs a special permit from the Minister of Immigration to enter Canada... 8)
Why?
I'm feelin' fine
Sitting in Row A - Sec 39

http://picasaweb.google.com/SayYesToFun
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

I_Bleed_Orange wrote:
JohnHenry wrote:Good luck getting his sig now. I think Merv needs a special permit from the Minister of Immigration to enter Canada... 8)
Why?
He had some legal difficulties at one time.
nelson95
Legend

he exposed more than weak safeties
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Tighthead
Legend

You guys are being unfair. The man was allergic to belts, end of story.

What is the over under on the # of posts a Merv thread needs to get the issue mentioned? I'd say 3.5.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

What ever happened to Mervin's son? I know he had an unsuccessful try out with the Seahawks last year I think. Why not try the CFL where his father played?
bclions16
Champion

nelson95 wrote:he exposed more than weak safeties
Tighthead wrote:You guys are being unfair. The man was allergic to belts, end of story.

What is the over under on the # of posts a Merv thread needs to get the issue mentioned? I'd say 3.5.
Haha so true. As I recall, several times he just "had to go" and someone unfortunately just happened to see it. Each time. Didn't it happen again in 94 when we came back?
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

Tighthead wrote:You guys are being unfair. The man was allergic to belts, end of story.

thats hilarious
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

zark wrote:I inherited a Swervi mervin fernandes poster.I know he went to that other league.I was wondering if he ever comes back up?How well Did he do?Wouldn't mind getting this poster signed.
mervyn did pretty good on a pretty good raiders team. Was a starter for I think about a half dozen yr with good yards per catch numbers. Wasnt quite the star he was up here though. His return at the end of his career was an embarrassment, on and off the field, but I will always be a fernandez fan. He will always be my all time fav receiver in either league.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
bclions16
Champion

KnowItAll wrote:
mervyn did pretty good on a pretty good raiders team. Was a starter for I think about a half dozen yr with good yards per catch numbers. Wasnt quite the star he was up here though. His return at the end of his career was an embarrassment, on and off the field, but I will always be a fernandez fan. He will always be my all time fav receiver in either league.
Not trying to change your mind KIA, I wouldn't dare! But... favorite players are attached to memories and generations, and memories like wine, often get better with age. Fernandez was a great, no doubt, but over time Geroy will go down as THE best BC receiver ever. Perhaps best BC Lion player ever due to longevity and position played.
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

bclions16 wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:
Not trying to change your mind KIA, I wouldn't dare! But... favorite players are attached to memories and generations, and memories like wine, often get better with age. Fernandez was a great, no doubt, but over time Geroy will go down as THE best BC receiver ever. Perhaps best BC Lion player ever due to longevity and position played.
one of many times I watch different players not make a catch, and I tell myself, mervyn woulda had that. There was one last game to simon that the db was inbetween him and the ball and he was unable to bring it it. I was a classic situation for many times fernandez reached over a DB and took the ball. Had Mervyn spent 10-14 yrs in the CFL, it would be a case of pitts and stegal who. Geroy is great, but mervyn was still better. Mervyns great one on one move to deak out corners after he caught a short pass was a thing of beauty, and I always marvelled at how they kept falling for it over and over and over again. I have fond memories of many other players over 42 yrs, some recievers like Windfield and champion, but Mervyn was a cut above them all.

By your theory, I would be beleiving Craig ellis to be better all purpose than Pinball, or Harry Holt to be the best ever tightend\slotback or...

No, I remember MF sucking when he tried to return and I remember exactly how good he was at his best before he left. MF was and is the Doug Flutie of receivers as far as CFL goes, IMO Like with Doug, we were lucky to have him when we did, the first time
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I clearly remember the first time I saw MF, him and pankratz, same day. I was so pumped I couldnt wait till my wife came home to tell her about these guys. And her a bomber fan who couldnt care less, except of course she was glad I was excited about them.