trade joe for a receiver

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

lucky leo
Rookie

Trading Joe Smith for a quality receiver could help the lions receiving corps...I dont think Hill and Skillern are the answer. Logan made huge runs on skill along with his shifty feet work...Banks I figure is on the bubble.....first half banks wasnt playing with huge emotion seconf half was better, but wally wont put up with players playing only 30 minutes...Does anyone else think that Otis has lost a step...Jamel did awesone last night, he played with lots of emotion....
Tighthead
Legend

There seems to be lots of confidence in Logan's durability. Why don't we trade Buck Pierce for a receiver? Seems to make as much sense to me.

Finding or developing a receiver seems like the better approach to me.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Trade Cam Wake for a receiver. He won't be re-signing here beyond this year anyway.

Sure. Well the second part is probably true!
Don Miller
Legend

:beer: It is evident that our linebacking crew are not as strong as some of the other teams. We are getting beat to the outside more. Our linebackers are smaller. Glatt is not a middle linebacker he is suited to play the pass and gets destroyed on most running plays. Jamal Johnson had a great game last nite, using his lateral ability and good tackling. We definitely need a receiver and I see Hamilton or Winnipeg possibly trading for us and more lilkely Winnipeg. They have a number of good receivers and hey thats where Geroy started. I think Joe is going to be on his way out. His numbers and committment to the Team are in question. Antonio Warren was a good back as well and we know what happened there. I would not trade Buck, he can manage a game at this point better than Jarious and if healthy I think can be a similar type to DD. Jarious is like the Clint Eastwood movie Good ,Bad and Ugly at times.
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
sports & stuff----ric
Champion

glatt???? i think his name was mentioned once during the broadcast
ON TV. middlelionbackers should be alot more noticable than that! did he make any tackles? should be in on most tackles?
i definetly think he should play outside linebacker! Love to see johnson get a chance in the middle!
Honour Dewalt
Champion

I think I saw Floyd hunt down a receiver after an out pass in which he was actually quite a bit behind him. I don't think he has lost too much.
sports & stuff----ric
Champion

Honour Dewalt wrote:I think I saw Floyd hunt down a receiver after an out pass in which he was actually quite a bit behind him. I don't think he has lost too much.

otis looked good on that play, but earlier in the game i noticed he looked a little slower than in the past. Unfortunately overall he is not making as many great
plays as he did in the past couple years when i thought he was one of the best in the leaque.
ziggy
Legend

sports & stuff----ric wrote:glatt???? i think his name was mentioned once during the broadcast
ON TV. middlelionbackers should be alot more noticable than that! did he make any tackles? should be in on most tackles?
i definetly think he should play outside linebacker! Love to see johnson get a chance in the middle!
The last couple of games he would have had to get an awfull deep drop to get involved. Most of the completions were in DB territory and Edmonton only ran for a couple of yards yet threw for what ,about 400?? I still maintain it's better not to be mentioned on defence than to be mentioned like our secondary was for blown or non existent coverage. Having said that maybe he would be better on the outside, but the pressing problem IMHO is in the secondary.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Don Miller wrote: It is evident that our linebacking crew are not as strong as some of the other teams. We are getting beat to the outside more. Our linebackers are smaller.
We had JoJuan Armour, Barrin Simpson, Markeith Knowlton all in the fold. We have some good talent here, I don't think we need to look outside at some of the weaker teams to bring in a guy. Finding talent hasn't been an issue in the past....I know Obie isn't here anymore but isn't that what Shivers is for? Sask sure has some nice LB's all courtesy of Roy.

If he can't find it, then Dennis is a big guy with great wheels and could easily play in Myles spot as the tweener. Ricky Foley is a monster and could easily fit the prototypical run stopping MLB if you're looking for that.....and they both know the Benevides system.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
pennw
Legend

Not to take away from the other discussion going here but how many "let's get rid of Joe " threads do we need ?? Instead of each guy starting another how about putting JS talk into one ?

As for the negativety surrounding Skillern and Hill , these guys are new here and have not had a chance to develop . Many players have been cut from teams before they had time to develop only tobecome stars on other teams . Anyone remember a guy named Mike Pringle ? Well when he was with the EE the first time no one thought he was any good and he ended up moving on to become one of the all time best RB's in CFL history .
Geroy Simon also comes to mind , did the Bombers think he was good enough to make any effort to keep ? Well we know how that ended up for us.
As for Skillern , recently , IIRC , was it not Paris Jackson who said he had the potential to become a very good one like Clermont , if we had the patience to develop him ? Why do we have patience to develop QB's and other positions but with WR's , they better be adequate replacements for Simon right away , or get them out of here. Simon himself wasn't an all-star the day he walked onto the field for the Lions .
A couple of years ago everyone on another board was trashing Kamau Peterson constantly and couldn't beleive he was even on a pro team , but he looks pretty good with the EE now doesn't he?
notahomer
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote: ...
A couple of years ago everyone on another board was trashing Kamau Peterson constantly and couldn't beleive he was even on a pro team , but he looks pretty good with the EE now doesn't he?
:oops: I felt the same. I wanted the Eskimos to keep him because I thought he was awful. What was his old nickname 'Incompleterson', IIRC. Guess he just needed some time to develop.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Let's not trade anyone for anyone else at this point. In season trades are relatively rare anyway. If you perceive a talent gap, NFL cuts will start to happen in a few weeks, and some guys will be brought in who may, or may not, be worth a lot.

Want to solve the linebacker problem? Easy. Move Javi outside and Jamal Johnson to the middle.
Don Miller
Legend

:rockin: That is exactly what I said. Put Jamal Johnson in the middle and move Glatt outside. I would like to see young Aragki get some playing time as well at linebacker. He is good on special teams and who knows he might turn out to be as good as his dad was. We still need help at receiver to have another deep threat even when Geroy comes back against Calgary. Calgary looked vulnerable against Sask in the 4th quarter on the deep ball. Logan at this point gives us more variety at running back. He has the speed to go outside and can run off tackle and can break it open. He also gives us another threat at kick returns.
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

pennw wrote: Geroy Simon also comes to mind , did the Bombers think he was good enough to make any effort to keep ? Well we know how that ended up for us.
Geroy left the Bombers to try out for the NFL, when that didn't work he returned to the CFL. The Bombers didn't own his rights and also had Arland Bruce as his replacement....the Lions made a stronger financial offer then the Bombers and Geroy signed here.

It wasn't because the Bombers didn't think he was good enough.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Speaking of Geroy, isn't all this "receiver panic" due mostly to his being out of the lineup? Most of it will go away when Geroy is back playing... dumping Joe just to get a temporary band-aid for that is horribly short-sighted. Next time a QB is hurt, do we trade Rob Murphy for another one, just because he's having a little slump right now? Come on...
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.