10,761 at Key Arena Last Night...

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

GeroySimonFAN
All Star

You'd think more people would want to come out and see Durant play. What can this low attendance be caused by? is it the uncertainty of where the team is going to play in the Future or is it just because its a weeknight, the team is doing poorly(0-5) and it was Memphis in town?(they did sell out the home opener vs Phoenix)

also the Owner Clay Bennett is to be inducted into the Oklahama City Hall Of Fame Tonight..and get this..the presenter? none other than David Stern!!

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/moore/338788_moore08.html
maddeep73
Champion

No matter how outstanding a young talent is, knowing your team sucks and they are most likely leaving town next year does not bode well for attendance figures. I can tell you that most of the 10,000 were there to see Durant only.

The sad part is that the ownership group then uses the lack of attendance as a reason they HAVE to leave. Total catch 22.

I didn't care when the Grizzlies left here but the Sonics? Years of history gone to *poop*.
Keepin' it real
Bosco
Team Captain

GeroySimonFAN wrote:You'd think more people would want to come out and see Durant play. What can this low attendance be caused by? is it the uncertainty of where the team is going to play in the Future or is it just because its a weeknight, the team is doing poorly(0-5) and it was Memphis in town?(they did sell out the home opener vs Phoenix)

also the Owner Clay Bennett is to be inducted into the Oklahama City Hall Of Fame Tonight..and get this..the presenter? none other than David Stern!!

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/moore/338788_moore08.html
At this point, the Sonics are dead team dribbling. :thdn:

An 0 - 5 record, coupled with the fact the Sonics have basically one foot out the door, means that it's going to be a long season for the few fans who choose to show up at Key Arena.

Expect to see many more nights of attendance figures in the 10,000 and less range, as the season grinds along.
GeroySimonFAN
All Star

David Stern says if team does leave, the NBA will NEVER return to Seattle.

do you think Stern is being a little hard on Seattle? I don't remember him ever saying the NBA will NEVER return to Vancouver...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3100691
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

The same thing happened here, shortly before the team moved. Attendance plummeted to the point where I don't think they announced the attendance during the game.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

Yeah, but part of the reason why attendance was so bad here is that calls from season ticket holders wanting to renew were gone unnoticed. There's been several reports from people who held Grizzlies STs that it was like pulling teeth to get them for the final season because Heisley was determined to drive the fanbase away so that he could appeal to David Stern that nobody was coming out. It wouldn't surprise me if Clay Bennett is employing similar strategies from the "Michael Heisley School Of Ru(i)nning An NBA Team." Pathetic. I hope the Sonics fail miserably in OKC and Clay Bennett loses money hand over fist for years.
Dan Russell
Legend

People don't wanna see a team that is gonna leave in a year. Simply really, it's unfortunate.