Offensive Offence Tonight...Lee, Messam, ????

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

korey&dante4ever wrote:
Hambone wrote:If there was one decision that puzzled me it was when Sakoda shanked a 22 yarder and BC opted to make him punt again from 10 yards back. I think I'd rather take the gift of the net 22 yarder instead of giving a punter a chance to redeem himself.
UNBELIEVABLE!.. I couldn't believe it and it was a STUPID mistake, making Buono seem like he has the football IQ of an 8 year old.
The ONLY explanation i can come up with is this, and i think it's what Buono was thinking, even though the logic of it dosen't make any sense...

Because the ball went out at the 22 (or close to the 20)... i think Buono had his mind preset when he first heard of the rule to only accept the penalty if the ball was kicked out of bounds between the 20 and 25, lets say.... BUT IT WAS A 25 YARD NET WALLY!!!... i don't believe he took that into consideration, and his age shows on this play.. like WHERE IS HIS CONSULTING with other coaches.. It drove me insane

Instead of the ball on the 22, we got it on the 17 on the very next play on an average kick.. nice...
Maybe Buono was suffering from heat stroke while standing in the sunshine when he made the decision.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

It's possible that Buono thought the team needed a lift.......a spark.......something to get the intensity level up and give them a little hope.......and a good return can be just what the doctor ordered......unfortunately.......like every thing else this day, they came up short.

When McCallum came up short on his run, I turned to my wife and said "they've been hanging in waiting for something good to spark them.....but this will do them in.....games over, they're done."
Lloyd
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Shi Zi Mi wrote:When McCallum came up short on his run, I turned to my wife and said "they've been hanging in waiting for something good to spark them.....but this will do them in.....games over, they're done."
McCallum's romp was a good gamble I thought for the same reason you mentioned. With ball at the BC 47 it was decent field position to give it a shot and he correctly read that the whole right side of the field was wide open. Unfortunately, in hindsight, it turned into the TSN turning point as the only Rider with a chance to catch him hauled him down from behind a couple yards short of making it. Had the Rider not made the play McCallum still had a good 10 yards of clear sailing ahead of him. I really thought he was going to make it until the last couple of strides.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
sports & stuff----ric
Champion

5 O lineman CANNOT block 7 guys. Is our offensive cord. the only one who can not see this? By reading this thread its pretty clear.
screen!!!!!!!!!!! not a 4 yd out pattern. printers has no time because the 6th or 7th guys are coming thru un touched!
as people are saying this is nothing new. but i think thr O line is taking more blame then it should based on the game plan.
Gary
Starter

cromartie wrote:
Gary wrote:
I disagree about weaknesses being apparent last week. The team ran early, and ran well early, and used actual honest to goodness run plays that we hadn't seen in previous years, so they used play action pretty effectively late. That didn't happen at all this week.
The main weakness that I saw in both games is that when defenses take away the intermediate passing game, the Lions fail to adjust. Edmonton did it when the Lions got into the red zone; Saskatchewan did it very effectively throughout the game. IMO this is the biggest issue the Lion's offense has had since '04. Look at all the injuries to QB's from 05 until present. We are asking the QB to stand in there far too long, waiting for crossing routes to open up in the 10-15 yard range. Defenses know that they are going to have time to disrupt the QB. I agree with those who are saying that more short slants, screens, and draw plays are needed.

The one new wrinkle that I've seen this year is the end-around hand-off to Jordan...which is basically a rip-off of one of the two plays the Bombers used over and over at BC Place last year to completely embarrass the Lions...and it doesn't work against disciplined defenses.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:When McCallum came up short on his run, I turned to my wife and said "they've been hanging in waiting for something good to spark them.....but this will do them in.....games over, they're done."

McCallum's romp was a good gamble I thought for the same reason you mentioned. With ball at the BC 47 it was decent field position to give it a shot and he correctly read that the whole right side of the field was wide open. Unfortunately, in hindsight, it turned into the TSN turning point as the only Rider with a chance to catch him hauled him down from behind a couple yards short of making it. Had the Rider not made the play McCallum still had a good 10 yards of clear sailing ahead of him. I really thought he was going to make it until the last couple of strides.

Normally, I'd find myself agreeing with you but not this time.................

That is why these guys hold their jobs so long. They make good decisions and play it the right way. This was was a bad one for Paul and was done at a poor location on the field. If the risks are that great the only time this older experienced kicker should run is if he can see the entire D on their butts. He is too slow. It not only was the turning point but along with Wally's decision to re-kick a punt when he had the ball at his 22 showed that the Lions didn't have their heads in the game properly and were desperate and silly.

I actually thought he was going to the right to give it a nice safe coffin corner kick.

Then McCallum compounds the bad decision by fumbling it deliberately and pushing it ahead. That is a raw rookie error that showed he was not thinking.

This is like waving the white flag when teams do stupid things.

Too bad he didn't have someone to lateral to but no one could have anticipated Paul's dumbness there.

Hey, it looked smart but Paul has to know how fast these guys are and remember this is Riders kick cover team not the fat Blue Bombers ST.

We can debate this with more posts than Messam and Lee will get offensive carries this season.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy