Lions Free Agent Signings - Mike Reilly Signs with Lions $2.9M 4 Years

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:08 pm

True that re Wilson and Cobb on our roster, Ernie. Pauser also mentioned Wilson.

Ed knows how to find receivers. Both those guys have some length, 6'4'' and 6'3''. I have not looked at film on them. Maybe later. Wilson ran a 4:51 in the 40. Rather than a CFL vet, guys like this might fill the spot. We will see if they show high level talent.
When a team goes out and spends nearly 20% of their cap on less than 5% of their roster as BC did with Reilly and Chungh they can't afford to fill all needs with veteran free agents. There simply isn't enough cap money available for that. Success becomes contingent on the ability to fill the roster out with players who not only come at near minimum salary but also can make significant contributions. That generally means finding players new to the CFL who can start while on near entry level contracts. Offseason recruiting needs to produce more than 1 Claudell Louis type contributor to come out of training camp filling spots.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:09 pm
Why is Naaman Roosevelt unsigned. Is he asking a lot of $$?

Lions could use him but the Riders really need him.
For now I think Roosevelt is a victim of that nasty combination of age and an inability to stay out of the tub, He's now 31 and has never played more than 14 games. His numbers have also been in decline the past 2 years. So yes $ might be a factor. if he's looking for all-star money he might have problems finding someone willing to take the risk.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:31 am
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:08 pm

True that re Wilson and Cobb on our roster, Ernie. Pauser also mentioned Wilson.

Ed knows how to find receivers. Both those guys have some length, 6'4'' and 6'3''. I have not looked at film on them. Maybe later. Wilson ran a 4:51 in the 40. Rather than a CFL vet, guys like this might fill the spot. We will see if they show high level talent.
When a team goes out and spends nearly 20% of their cap on less than 5% of their roster as BC did with Reilly and Chungh they can't afford to fill all needs with veteran free agents. There simply isn't enough cap money available for that. Success becomes contingent on the ability to fill the roster out with players who not only come at near minimum salary but also can make significant contributions. That generally means finding players new to the CFL who can start while on near entry level contracts. Offseason recruiting needs to produce more than 1 Claudell Louis type contributor to come out of training camp filling spots.
Exactly Hambone. Hervey's strategy seems to be pay an absolute premium for key core players or as he describes it "rob Peter to pay Mike" They will be leaning on their scouting and FA camps with probably at least 2 or 3 entry level starters to make it work.
It's the same strategy as to why Johnson and Thompson were deemed ok national starters on their rookie deals but not worth the next level of pay as 4th-year nationals, at least according to Hervey.

Why Godber or Peirson will likely start at C on on their rookie deals instead of re-signing Husband.

On a different scale, comparable to Seahawks paying Wilson $25 million and costing them starting vets elsewhere.

Wally seemed inclined to spread the wealth around a little bit more. Can never envision him paying Chungh $250,000.

So 7 starters from a year ago currently remain FAs — Foster, Peters, Olifoye, Thompson, Johnson, Husband and Manny.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Mike Reilly's pay is where the market was for him. And the same can be said for Sukh Chungh.

If we want those guys we have to pay. And now we have them, tops at their position in the league.

Hervey's strategy can work. Obviously there will be guys filling roster spots for bottom dollars. Fortunately there are way more good players than there are pro football roster positions.

I would certainly like to see us keep Foster and Peters. It sounds like Manny is not in Hervey's plans.

As noted our OLine looks ultra solid. I think our DLine will be very good also. QB. OL. DL. Those areas are the hardest to build at championship level IMO. We are well on the way there.

I would say good RBs are almost a dime a dozen. I think our LBs and DBs will be very good. Solly is here and T.J. Hervey will find a kicker/punter. We will see if Anthony Alix is that guy. I think that spot is not too hard to fill.

And then, the receiver corps. Not sure we were top level last year. Good but not great. I think a team that wishes to contend for the title needs an all-star INT receiving corps. Burnham fits. Hopefully Carter fits. We need at least one more guy at that level. I think Ed can find them.

I would say Ed's plan is unfolding as he had hoped. We scored the most in-demand, new Head Coach, DeVone Claybrooks. We scored the most sought-after free agent in years, Mike Reilly. Guys seem to want to play here. So far, almost all good for the fans. Not all that happy about many of the guys we cannot or will not bring back. Manny. JJ24, etc.

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have signed former Calgary linebacker Maleki Harris. He can play MAC and WILL positions, and will likely take over from Micah Awe as a rotational player and special teamer.
“Maleki is versatile player that can play both ‘backer spots at a high level,” said head coach DeVone Claybrooks. “Having had him in the same defensive system for the past four years, I know he has great instincts and he brings a lot of passion to special teams as well. He knows what we’re trying to build here and we’re excited to land a player of his caliber.”
LINEBACKER MALEKI HARRIS SIGNED BY LIONS
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Very interesting interview with Bo Levi Mitchell on TSN video and now one here:

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/02/13/oleary-ca ... -mitchell/

Bo on TSN said laughingly that the QBs were talking - he mentioned only Reilly and Harris - but who knows maybe others.

Bo outlined for TSN interview where he'd have been fighting for 2 or 3 and not playing in the NFL and even sitting a year was not what he wanted. He wants his legacy to go out as the best and it's in Calgary.

Excerpts from CFL.ca:
BLM: For me it’s championships. Championships first, then you can go to individual accolades. To me, I want to continue to chase championships. Tom Brady…he’s been in nine championships in the last 18 years. It’s a ridiculous number and something I’m trying to emulate. I think if you’re doing that, if you’re getting championships that often, the numbers, the passing records and all that stuff will come with it.

That’s how I’ve viewed my career so far. I worry about winning games and with winning comes a lot of other things. That’s kind of what I see. But you can tell Anthony I’m coming after that number, too.
CO: How big a part of your future will Dave Dickenson be?

BLM: (Dickenson as head coach) came into a big part of the decision. That’s not just as a player but the possibility of being a coach as well, whenever I’m done playing. I just wasn’t sure if that was a bridge that I was willing to burn (in leaving Calgary). Whenever I’m done playing football my passion is going to be coaching. I know that Dave’s a guy that’s going to be going places and that’s not a bad person to be learning from for a long time. As much as I can learn from him and Huf I can continue doing that and continue to build my career as a player.
CO: Did you talk with Mike Reilly on Tuesday?

BLM: Mike and I talk a lot. We continue to talk about the fact that (free agency) is going to change the CFL landscape and how fun these next couple of years are going to be. He texted me in the morning and we were talking, saying, ‘Enjoy the process. It’s going to be a fun time no matter where we end up.’ I think we’re both excited to take these next steps in our career and look back on everything we’ve accomplished in the last couple of years.
On the TSN video, it left me thinking - wow - we just heard from the Stamps future OC and likely HC when Hufnagel retires and Dickenson takes over for him.

Edited to add the link to the CFL.ca interview.
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
CardiacKid
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:07 am
The Lions have signed former Calgary linebacker Maleki Harris. He can play MAC and WILL positions, and will likely take over from Micah Awe as a rotational player and special teamer.
“Maleki is versatile player that can play both ‘backer spots at a high level,” said head coach DeVone Claybrooks. “Having had him in the same defensive system for the past four years, I know he has great instincts and he brings a lot of passion to special teams as well. He knows what we’re trying to build here and we’re excited to land a player of his caliber.”
LINEBACKER MALEKI HARRIS SIGNED BY LIONS
Wow....you sure he didn't play for Hervey at one point?!?! I had to do a double-take when I saw Calgary and not Edmonton...

I am being facetious of course but man, there must be a shortage of former Eskimos that Hervey can sign by now.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:42 am
Wow....you sure he didn't play for Hervey at one point?!?! I had to do a double-take when I saw Calgary and not Edmonton...

I am being facetious of course but man, there must be a shortage of former Eskimos that Hervey can sign by now.
Yes, Harris is the first defender and second former Stampeder signed by the Lions, joining Lemar Durant. Both played rotational roles with the Stamps. Perhaps DeVone Claybrooks finally having some influence on the Lions' roster now that the big-ticket deals have been signed.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:47 am
CardiacKid wrote:

Yes, Harris is the first defender and second former Stampeder signed by the Lions, joining Lemar Durant. Both played rotational roles with the Stamps. Perhaps DeVone Claybrooks finally having some influence on the Lions' roster now that the big-ticket deals have been signed.

I'm pretty sure that the new HC is fully in synch with the GM on signings and team needs. I'd be horrified if not. BUT the GM knows what kind of players he wants and he has strong views I suspect.

Hervey's not the chatty sort so we'll not hear as much on the goings on as we as fans might like with this guy.
CardiacKid
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:56 am
B.C.FAN wrote:
CardiacKid wrote:

I'm pretty sure that the new HC is fully in synch with the GM on signings and team needs.
I am sure Claybrooks has input, the honeymoon period is not up yet. Give it a year before prickly Hervey reappears and starts saying to Biscuit, "BTW, I hate the way you wear your hat". :tease:
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:04 am
Toppy Vann wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:56 am
B.C.FAN wrote:

I'm pretty sure that the new HC is fully in synch with the GM on signings and team needs.
I am sure Claybrooks has input, the honeymoon period is not up yet. Give it a year before prickly Hervey reappears and starts saying to Biscuit, "BTW, I hate the way you wear your hat". :tease:
haha..... I wasn't a fan of Ed Hervey when he spent a year or more trashing his former GM Eric Tillman no matter what the topic was but I kind of think he's learned from his experiences. It had to be tough last year with Wally as his HC and still the link to the owner given his other title as the GM's boss. There were no outward issues at all and he and Wally did it well.

His now out in the public conflict with Chris Jones doesn't surprise me but I'd not lay it all on Hervey as Chris Jones might not be the easiest guy to deal with. Some of the goings on sounded ugly though.

Does a leopard change his spots? We'll see. We know he's not afraid to trash his QB in public.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Re receivers ...

It would be nice if we could reach the point where we kept re-stocking the cupboard the way the Eskimos and Stampeders have done over the years.

Edmonton ... Bowman, Williams, Wallker.

Stampeders ... Jorden, Rogers. They have 9 WRs on the roster. Plus Jorden at SB. Hufnagel knows what makes this league run. 5 INTs all good size. 5 NATS.

The Eskimos have 14 WRs on the roster. 10 INTs. 4 NATs.

We have 13 WRs on the roster. 9 INTs and 4 NATS. Ed knows the importance of the receiving corps. We may well have some game breakers already on the roster, almost unknown to the fans. I expect our receiving group will be very competitive across the league.

As noted before, it seems to me QB, OL and DL are the most challenging areas of a team to build to championship level. The receiving corps can be rebuilt constantly and fast. There are loads of talented guys out there, but recruiting and choosing the right ones is not a slam dunk.

Just IMO ...

2019-02-14_1141.png
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

The kicker the Lions signed yesterday has not played in the league for 3 years and never heard of him. Sure hope Lions just bringing him in to compete. I hope they draft a kicker and sign 1 or 2 more guys to compete.

Why though do the Lions have no interest in Lirim Hajrullahu, the only free agent kicker out there and one who is good and experienced and can do both jobs?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:23 pm
Why though do the Lions have no interest in Lirim Hajrullahu, the only free agent kicker out there and one who is good and experienced and can do both jobs?
Hajrullahu reportedly wants to attend an NFL kicking combine in March before considering his CFL options.

Lirim Hajrullahu won’t sign until at least March, taking NFL shot
David
Team Captain

It is hard to quantify what Mike Reilly's signing will mean at the gate. But it's tweets like this one today that give me optimism that things will stabilize here in B.C. Even a 10% spike in attendance (22,000 average....I believe very attainable) will give the building a better atmosphere. Some will buy tickets due to Mike's signing, others will take a "wait and see" approach for what kind of start we get out to, but we're definitely on the right track. :rockin:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar