Which position group concerns/excites you the most?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

As we head into the 2018 campaign, what excites you or troubles you most by position?

If I had to rank from "most concerned" to "least concerned, I would go with:

Defensive backs - We could be fine here. More than fine. Or we can find out why some of these guys were made available by other teams. TJ Lee an asset. Anthony Thompson should come into his own.

Defensive line - This could very well be an area of strength. But if we see wear and tear catch up to Willis and Knapton half-way through the season, watch out. Hoping for good play from Junior Luke but is he a bona-fide starter yet? We're about to find out. I do like our National depth here though. Would have been #1 for "most concerned" had we not picked up Coleman.

Quarterbacking - Wally was visibly disappointed in JJ's last performance. He doesn't "name names" in the post-game presser, but I could hear palpable concern. They are not going to coddle JJ this year. Ironically, I think this offence is better suited to Lulay, with a better ability to check down and get the ball out of his hands quicker. Jennings is better at buying time and hurling a 30-40 pass to a receiver who gets himself open. Or not. There's a steep learning curve to Jarious's offence. But do we have time to wait for JJ to get used to it?

Offensive Line - Was not bowled over by the Winnipeg performance (zero starters on their D-line). Still, this group looks to be much improved over last year, starting with the tackles, and a LG in Steward who could play to All-Star level. I like its potential. The "Dorazio factor" is preventing me from moving this group lower down to "least concerned."

Receivers - I wouldn't say we have any future Hall-of-Famers, but definitely, a strong group across the board led by Manny and Burnham. Shaq Johnson prepared for a break-out season, and Ricky Collins could prove to be a solid pick-up. Nice depth with Kevin Elliott.

Special Teams - With Reinebold coaching, anything is possible. Including some onside kicks. Unit should be more disciplined this year (Winnipeg game the outlier), and Rainey and Long are among the best in the league at returning and placekicking (respectively). Getting David Mackie (16th overall) was a wise selection.

Linebackers - Even without Bighill and Awe, any unit anchored by someone like Solly is going to be among the best on the team. I really like the Otha Foster pick-up, while Davis/Lokombo should be a really strong (lo)combo on the weak side.

Running backs - Johnson, Rutley, and Rainey. This is a very versatile group, each capable of getting 5-6 yards a pop, and all can catch the ball coming out of the backfield. Not sure if Johnson and Rutley are going to be platooned to keep each one fresh. But this is a dynamic group that should fit in well with JJ's option-oriented offence that will keep defences on their toes, and likely less predictable with more misdirection and creativity. Playing behind an improved Oline can't hurt either.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Special Teams with Reinbold's penchant for trickery and deception!

He makes it fun for players and this should be a bright spot for BC if JR is left to run his own plays on STs.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I wouldn't call it excitement, but I like our DL personnel much better than last year.

No more Shirley to Evans to Hudson to whomever, all relatively ineffective at DE.

Luke was getting very good penetration from the inside. NAT DL talent on the rise.

INTs: Willis and Knapton are a big upgrade at DE. Coleman gets great penetration on the inside.

All of this is enhanced when we attack the LOS as we did in the preseason.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
VictoriaFan
Starter

I would say the O-line concerns me the most, if they can't get the job done there's no chance for anyone on offence to shine, whether QB RB or receivers, although everyone will blame J.J. I'm liking D-line and ST as long as those penalties are in check and Rainey can run amock
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I am excited by the front 7 depth and flexibility. The addition of Lokombo means that if Luke or his backup Laurent are injured or not working out, they can go to a 3-4 and put Lokombo on the field. In fact they might be doing that a lot anyway as part of a blitz package.
Rodu
Champion

QB because Jennings didn't look sharp in the pre season IMO

OL because they still have Dorazio coaching

Coaching Wally can just focus on coaching, does he still got it, rookie OC, Washington's last chance?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Excited about the special teams.

Still concerned about the offensive and defensive line.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The only position group that concerns me is the most important one: quarterback. Jennings needs to step up his game and execute the new offence. That might take some time but I don't think he'll be given a lot of time. If the Lions don't come out of the gate strong, Wally will turn to Lulay.

I'm still convinced the Lions would have made the playoffs last year if Lulay had stayed healthy. They had the league's best offence in the games he played. Jennings again led the league in interceptions.

Ed Willes summed up the situation accurately on Monday.
“Offensively, I think we’re still a little out of sync,” Buono said.

“(Jennings) has to execute the offence. We have to be way better in the first half (the Lions had one first down in the first quarter and six in the first half) and we have to be a lot more consistent. As you start playing the best teams they’re going to put a lot of pressure on you if you can’t get first downs.”

Buono has never been one to call out players publicly but it certainly sounded like he’s turning up the heat on Jennings. And for good reason.

This is his fourth year with the team. He turns 26 next month and the Lions can’t waste another year waiting for Jennings to develop. Quarterbacking is about 80 per cent of the Canadian game and no CFL team can win consistently with mediocre play at that position.

This has to be Jennings’ time. If it isn’t, it doesn’t really matter how much the Lions improved the rest of their lineup.
Willes' Musings: Lions' coach turns up the heat on Jennings
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

It might be 4 or 5 games before Lulay is game ready so Jennings has all the oppourtunity he needs to prove himself. I hope he comes through.
Last edited by DanoT on Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

If Jennings fails, it is a failure for the organization, the systems and the coaching as well. It is a team game. How well he played under Tedford and in 2016 was not a mirage. He played some excellent football. How and why he regressed can be debated. This fan tends to put more responsibility on factors other than just saying he has to play better.

Porous pass protection

Shoulder injury

Slow developing pass routes

Pocket passing offensive design

Inadequate short passing game

Pass routes carved in stone

Coaching

Not enough focus on passes to the running back

Not enough focus on outlet passes versus pressure

Defenses fully prepped for our passing game

Et cetera

Excuses? Yes. Although Jennings himself makes no excuses.

Some or many blame Jennings. Maybe even Wally. Not this fan. Will he fail? He might. Can he succeed? Possibly.

Does this fan have concerns about our quarterback play? Yes. But Lulay will be back. Lloyd looks very promising. Hervey and the coaching staff are doing what they can to bring Jennings back to a high level of performance. Hervey, Buono, Jackson and Lulay believe in Jennings. So does this fan. I hope very much that he succeeds. If he fails, we move on.

I think the offensive system we are bringing in will give our QBs more support. Quick passing game. Run pass option. Passes to the running back. Shorter routes. Moving the pocket. I fully expect Hervey will demand better pass protection. It that means keeping it simple for the OL, so be it.

Defence can change systems more quickly IMO. Offence requires time. It will take a while.

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

David
Team Captain

I tend to agree, WCJ. There has to be a reason JJ has regressed since 2016, and I don't blame him for it. Injured shoulder? Maybe, but he wasn't setting the league on fire before that Hamilton game. Have DCs around the league figured out his tendencies? This is more plausible, but I do think that we may have coached the natural instincts out of him, if that makes sense.

I sense that he's a QB who has a natural feel for the position. He has a very strong, accurate arm. Like Printers, when improvising, is exciting and effective. But the more structure and discipline required, the more pressure he puts on himself to try to master the playbook and do everything he's been coached to do, the less effective he is.

Will he succeed under Jarious? Hard to say. The passing % may be higher because it's a quick release offence with more play action and QB options. He may also succeed with better pass protection. But Jarious the taskmaster is throwing a lot at him with new terminology etc. This is not Khari's country club. I have the feeling that mounting pressure and a cluttered mind are not friends of Jennings' fragile psyche.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

You make good points, David.

JJ does not have a cocky personality, like say Joe Kapp. Maybe Wally wants him to be more of a leader, vocally.

Everybody is different. Bart Starr was very quiet. Lombardi knew that. He built Starr up. He gave him confidence. He did not put pressure on him. On the other hand Lombardi drove the OL and DL like slaves. LOL

Tedford and Cortez got the bum's rush out of here, maybe rightfully so, but imo they knew how to handle QBs.

Whatever. It will be a shame if JJ does not ''succeed.'' He has tons of talent. His stats last game were good, imo. Key: No Ints, 71%, 182 yards, 1 TD. But not good enough.

Just IMO ...

David
Team Captain

Reminds me of that scene from the movie Moneyball where the A's scouts are all sitting around a table debating draft picks. While a couple of scouts are heaping praise on a prospect, another scout butts in, "He's got an ugly girlfriend." Another scout from across the tables says, "What does that mean?" He shoots back, "An ugly girlfriend means no confidence."

JJ happens to have a lovely wife (high school sweethearts) but it's a funny theory as to why some guys exude it and others battle it. Even the ones that seem to have it, may just project it on the outside. When I hear JJ talk, it sounds like he just wants to be efficient. Take what the defence gives him. Manage the game. These are not the words of a confident quarterback IMO.

Anyway, I'm pulling for JJ to have a bounce-back season. :thup:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
squishy35
Legend

David wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:30 am
Reminds me of that scene from the movie Moneyball where the A's scouts are all sitting around a table debating draft picks. While a couple of scouts are heaping praise on a prospect, another scout butts in, "He's got an ugly girlfriend." Another scout from across the tables says, "What does that mean?" He shoots back, "An ugly girlfriend means no confidence."

JJ happens to have a lovely wife (high school sweethearts) but it's a funny theory as to why some guys exude it and others battle it. Even the ones that seem to have it, may just project it on the outside. When I hear JJ talk, it sounds like he just wants to be efficient. Take what the defence gives him. Manage the game. These are not the words of a confident quarterback IMO.

Anyway, I'm pulling for JJ to have a bounce-back season. :thup:

I am a big fan of Jennings. He has had is ups and downs for sure; but he has bought in to the Travis Lulay philosophy of humility and team building.

That being said, Ricky Lloyd is very intriguing. Lots of natural ability and he has a keen eye to assess what the defence is giving him. If Jennings struggles and Lloyd sees action in the early part of this season, do we see a similarity to the 2004 Lions when Printers had his breakout year? I doubt it; but I think that if this year's OL is able to provide more time than last year's, then Jennings will flourish at QB.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I'm concerned with Jennings and have said that I felt that he needed to do what Bo Levi Mitchell did on Dave D's advice - work with Jeff Garcia -he did so at his OWN expense and he came back and won the Starter's role over Drew Tate. Dave D - then OC - credited Garcia as did BLM.

If I were the Lions and it was possible, I'd have paid the Garcia fees as there is a guy who knows what it takes to win in the CFL and play at this level for years.

Last year Jennings questioned how come the plays he made when he first started weren't happening. My view is that he's talented and that first year everything worked but last year, DBs were more on those passes and taking Receivers on - and thus not the record.

His new OC Jarius Jackson has expressed similar sentiments on his head space and of course JJ wasn't here last year:
“I’m trying to assess what’s going on with him mentally,” Jackson said as the Lions completed Day 3 of their training camp. “It’s what’s going on between the ears right now.

“You never know what a guy’s mentality is coming into a season. He had some success early. Sometimes that is a good thing. Sometimes it’s a bad thing. But that’s what we’re using this time for, to see who Jonathon is, to see what makes him tick.”
The question is what does Jennings thinks the issue is?

http://theprovince.com/sports/football/ ... e-stand-up

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/calg ... story.html
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy