Head Coach - Lions announce Jeff Tedford as 2015 HC

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:From Pauser's list ... Impressive profiles.

CFL experience ... Very unlikely to come here, it seems.

USC HC

Jacksonville HC

Michigan OC. Financially? However, as a stepping to a HC gig, who knows?
Sarkisian is probably making 50% of a CFL club's SMS cap. His UW deal was to have paid him $2.85million in 2015 but he left that to take an even more prestigious job at USC. I'd be willing to bet he's making north of $3 million per season.

Bell? Interesting. Didn't realize he'd ventured into coaching. Small private school with only 3200 undergrads probably has him on a payscale much closer to a CFL HC. However it would appear he might be in his comfort level. He played high school football, college football and now coaches NCAA football in locations all less than 100 miles from his place of birth Live Oak, FL.
From the same Wikipedia page: Bell has been rumored to be a candidate for coaching positions at major college programs and interviewed to become the offensive coordinator at the University of Florida in 2011.[16] He has been quoted as saying that he intends to build a "strong legacy" as Jacksonville University's head coach and would only leave for "the right situation"

Nussmeier is intriguing. Yikes has it been 14 years since he was with BC? He's currently OC at Michigan but there are many rumours that Jim Harbaugh might return to his alma mater as HC next year which in turn could mean some house cleaning with the assistants and coordinators. Those dominos wouldn't fall until sometime next month. Buono can't wait that long.
Good information, Hambone. It is appreciated. Nussmeier, if somehow he came our way, would be a positive for the fans, methinks.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Please not Charlie Taafe
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:Bell? Interesting. Didn't realize he'd ventured into coaching. Small private school with only 3200 undergrads probably has him on a payscale much closer to a CFL HC. However it would appear he might be in his comfort level. He played high school football, college football and now coaches NCAA football in locations all less than 100 miles from his place of birth Live Oak, FL.
From the same Wikipedia page: Bell has been rumored to be a candidate for coaching positions at major college programs and interviewed to become the offensive coordinator at the University of Florida in 2011.[16] He has been quoted as saying that he intends to build a "strong legacy" as Jacksonville University's head coach and would only leave for "the right situation"
He's probably best known for his TD-celebration-gone-awry as an Argo in 2000. Evidently some of his JU players saw that video clip — they invented a new tribute dance, the "Kerwinator" as seen in this video posted to youtube in 2007, the year he began coaching there.

[video][/video]
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
serpintine
prospect

Hahahah here's the original linkhttp://youtu.be/hohrGa1DKJI
The_Pauser
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Good information, Hambone. It is appreciated. Nussmeier, if somehow he came our way, would be a positive for the fans, methinks.
Yeah, it would seem of the 3 that Nussmeier would be the most realistic. I could see him being successful too given his knowledge of the CFL game, and his experiences as a coach/coordinator down south. I can't see Wally looking at Taaffe and not Nussmeier, but stranger things have happened I suppose.
Roar you Lions roar!
cromartie
Hall of Famer

From what I remember of Nussmeier, the only reason he left the CFL to get into the college coaching racket was for the pension program, and he said words to that effect at the time.

Nothing obligates him to stick around Michigan and wait for the next coach to make a decision on whether or not to retain his services. He can reach a separation agreement with the university (Mike DeBord is running the program on an interim basis while the coaching search soldiers on) and move on if he so chooses.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:From what I remember of Nussmeier, the only reason he left the CFL to get into the college coaching racket was for the pension program, and he said words to that effect at the time.

Nothing obligates him to stick around Michigan and wait for the next coach to make a decision on whether or not to retain his services. He can reach a separation agreement with the university (Mike DeBord is running the program on an interim basis while the coaching search soldiers on) and move on if he so chooses.
That is a little ray of hope.

We have the financial hurdle to consider.

He might think his upward progress has halted a bit on the US college route, stuck beneath the HC level.

It seems like many guys have gone on from the CFL to HC success in the US.

We will see what happens, but he is the most appealing, experienced name so far. IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

cromartie
Hall of Famer

No reason to think he'd leave his current gig unless he's contemplating the Marc Trestman route, but has anyone given some thought to Tom Clements?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Tom Clements ... Pay cut to be a Head Coach as part of the journey?

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Tommy Condell ...

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Richie Hall ...

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The approach I am suggesting is precisely to change the culture and that is the key role of the HC - he has to know the game well of course and can't be a bonehead day of game decision maker nor misunderstand the intricacies of today's game on both sides.

The culture of winning teams is performance oriented and players are both accountable to their team mates but they know the HC has low tolerance for poor play that comes from blown assignments, lack of effort or selfishness and lack of discipline by taking bad penalties. They'll correct mistakes and accept errors as long as that is not a habit and the player shows improvement.

The coach wants a culture where he feels accountable to the players too to make sure he is putting guys in who are doing it right and not tolerating free lancing and selfish dumb play.

It may be that my words leave out some aspects just like when I read how some are so focused on just x's and o's they might mean more.

The best coaches as I have said over the years have that edge to them where players know if they do their job they've got full support but if they start to play poorly or effort fails off they know that coach will move them out.

You need a HC who thinks this- 'I have to get this guy out of there or MY credibility with the other players is going to be questioned.' I owe to the entire team to put the best out there.

You don't want the other words of old Wally where he used to say before changing - my job is to find a better guy than you. That isn't showing the right support that creates conditions for motivation but they have to know their jobs are safe if they play well and the team is winning as their team play is great.

I'd not be hiring a non football guy for his leadership skills but I'd not err at the other extreme as it doesn't work if the HC tries to make all decisions and start barking out off and def calls all game. However if his coordinators are erring then his job is to fix that fast as he is the coach of the coaches.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
The_Pauser
Legend

Tom Clements would be a great hiring, though I have no clue what he makes as the OC of the Green Bay Packers. Any room we have in our budget to make it happen though would be amazing. He likely wouldn't become available (if at all) until February, as I predict the Packers to be in the Super Bowl (and likely win it).
Roar you Lions roar!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I think Clements would make a heck more money as an OC in the NFL than a head coach in the CFL but if he decides to come North I would welcome him with open arms. He has played in the CFL and knows the game.
David
Team Captain

Money talks. Hell, whoever thought that Blake Nill would arrive at Point Grey on a Trojan horse to save a moribund UBC football program? It's rumoured that he'll be getting north of 200 Gs for his services. Yea, that's why.

My first choice for the Leos' Head Coaching job from a major US program would be Doug Nussmeier. Incidentally, Matt Sekeres did not have too many kind words about Danny Barrett (don't forget that Sekeres has deep CFL ties and was a beat reporter, so he likely knows what he's talking about).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar