Head Coach - Lions announce Jeff Tedford as 2015 HC

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

South Pender
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:There is one problem with the MMPI - and that is that it is well known that blacks score 5 % less well than whites so that might not be the best one.
My suggestion of the MMPI was meant in jest. It has been the gold standard for psychiatric assessment (diagnosing psychopathology), but is not really an appropriate test for normal personality assessment.
South Pender
Legend

Blitz wrote:I dont' see Trestman coming here South Pender, although I could be wrong. He will get a chance to apply for a Head Coaching gig in the NFL or at least an opportunity for an offensive coordinator role in the NFL. I don't see him coming back to the CFL any time soon. The CFL provided Trestman with the opportunity to become a Head Coach and his shot at a HC gig in the NFL due to that success. Trestman provided the CFL with some innovative football.

We could see Trestman back in the CFL one day but he will be able to make more money down south and that's where I think he will stay for the near future, even if Chicago lets him go.
I agree. I can't see Trestman going from his $4.25M annual salary as the Bears' HC to a CFL HC job at one-tenth the salary. If he leaves the Bears, he would presumably be in demand as an NFL OC, which could pay him $1.5-2.5M, or as a college HC ($2-3M), or even college OC ($1-2M).
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
South Pender wrote:
Blitz wrote:I don't completely agree that the CFL has been loaded with coaches who are so ahead of the curve than our B.C. Lions. No question that Hufnagel is a very smart football coach. Dickenson was developed slowly and wisely under Hufnagel. Chris Jones did a terrific job in Edmonton and has always been a coach who has impressed me. Kent Austin has his Grey Cup win in Saskatchewan, took Hamilton to the Grey Cup last year and overcame a 1-6 start to bring the Tabbies back again. But I don't see Richie Hall in that category at this point nor Chamblis and Milanovich missed the playoffs with Ricky Ray at quarterback. Rich Campbell has not proven himself to be in that category yet either, nor has Condon or O'Shea.
Good point; I agree. It seems to me that the notion that the other CFL coaches have, for the last several years, been way ahead of our coaches (Chapdelaine, Stubler, et al.), strategically and tactically, may not be really borne out by all the evidence--despite repeated assertions on this forum that this has been the case.

As for Milanovich (as I've noted before), if we ignore 2014 when injuries were a mitigating factor for the Argos, he is 20-16, for a .555 winning percentage, despite having the best QB in the CFL. Did Milanovich, an offense-minded HC, have a more-potent offense in 2012-2013 than the Lions? No. The average number of points-for in those two years was: Argos: 476 (or 26.4 pts./game) vs Lions: 492 (27.3 pts./game).

As for Orlondo Steinauer, it seems true that he's done a good job with the defense in Hamilton, but I think this time around I'd like to see our new HC come from an offensive perspective. This would put LaPolice in the picture, but I share the same doubts about him that others on this forum do. He didn't play professionally (not a knock-out factor in itself) and consequently may not command quite the same respect that a number of other CFL head coaches who have played professionally enjoy (the exceptions being Chris Jones and Rich Campbell). I suppose Chris Jones would be the most notable exception to that. I have wondered whether this lack of professional playing experience may have contributed a little to Benevides' lack of credibility among the players. Perhaps a new HC from the defensive ranks would be fine as long as a really sharp--and ideally experienced--OC could be brought in too. What are the terms of George Cortez's contract in Saskabush?
I also would prefer our new Head Coach to have a background from the offensive side of the football for this one reason - to finally get us out of the old Calgary spread offence playbook of the 90's that Wally is so entranced with. However, more importantly is to get the best person for the job.

Right now I would prefer Steinauer over LaPolice. I'm not even sure if Steinauer will want the job.

I believe Cortez will be available for a coaching position for next season, as he will be fired in Saskatchewan. I could see Wally wanting Cortez as our offensive coordinator. However, I sure don't. Cortez is also not Head Coaching material. He is way too conflict driven.

If, in an imaginary world, I was the new Leos Head Coach and I could have any coach I wanted, with lots of money to pay them, I would

a) try to talk Dave Ritchie out of retirement and if I couldnt' - I would hire Stubler as my defensive coordinator. Steinauer would be my third choice.
b) I would hire Dave Dickenson as my offensive coordinator and my second choice would be Chapdelaine. Either would run the offence the way they want to with the only directions given would be to a) be aggressive and b) be innovative
c) I would have Mike Gibson as my offensive line coach but he would refuse the job, now that he is an offensive coordinator in Ottawa. I would steal Pat DelMonaco from Calgary. My third choice would be to promote Kelly Bates to offensive line coach.This is the most important position where I consider change is needed. Calgary played four non-imports on thei offensive line. We couldn't get it done with 3 Internationals.
d) I would hire Barrin Miles as my defensive backfield coach
e) Johnny Holland would remain my linebackers coach
f) Jeff Reinebold would be my special team's coach. Craig Dickenson would be my second choice.
g) My quarterback's coach would be Steve Kruck. Jarious Jackson would be a second choice. I would hire Geroy Simon to coach the recievers and bring him back to the fold.
h) To coach the defensive line I would offer Randy Melvin so much money he would return as our defensive line coach.
i) As coach of the running backs and look after the draft I would keep Kelly Bates in his present position
j) I would hire an extra coach to the staff and hire Angus Reid to work specifically with the center position, assist the offensive line coach, and also help Bates with the draft.

It was fun making those decisions. :wink:
You're going to need to make an investment in some quality control guys. I'd break the bank and hire three if I were you.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Cortez released in Regina. Presumably he would be interested.

LaPolice interested.

Garcia interested. Can't see Wally going out of the box in his thinking, unless it is bizarro thinking, as with some of his game day decisions.

Steinauer. No doubt interested.

Dickenson. Who knows? But I do not quite take his words of disinterest at face value. See if he will talk. Put the money out there. He is the only one mentioned that would get my hopes up for the future, as things stand now. Do the other candidates make a fan sit up and pay attention? OK, Garcia does, but he is a big unknown as a full time coach.

Personality? Does Wally have someone in mind whose personality is a good fit for him? Wally already tried that method of choosing a Head Coach, with his protege, Mike Benevides.

Tomorrow the process gets rolling ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:Cortez released in Regina. Presumably he would be interested.

LaPolice interested.

Garcia interested. Can't see Wally going out of the box in his thinking, unless it is bizarro thinking, as with some of his game day decisions.

Dickenson. Who knows? But I do not quite take his words of disinterest at face value. See if he will talk. Put the money out there. He is the only one mentioned that would get my hopes up for the future, as things stand now. Do the other candidates make a fan sit up and pay attention? OK, Garcia does, but he is a big unknown as a full time coach.

Personality? Does Wally have someone in mind whose personality is a good fit for him? Wally already tried that method of choosing a Head Coach, with his protege, Mike Benevides.

Wally would take Cortez in heartbeat as the OC Joe, which as Blitz said would be a mistake...we need fresh blood with new ideas. If Jeff Garcia would accept the role, how do you take Cortez over Garcia??? And for that matter, if Garcia wants Wally's help administratively as the new HC, it would be a purrfect world for Wally...the new blood that understands the players of today as he wanted, plus it would allow him to stay connected to the football operations...this difference would be that Garcia, as HC, would determine our philosophies, which for Garcia would mean a way to beat the pressure Offensively and a way to generate pressure Defensively...a win/win situation for Lion's fans...

We will see what happens, but OUR NEW ASSISTANT COACHES will be AS IMPORTANT as our new HC. If someone comes in and keeps Dorazio, Jones, McMann and Washington we will be in trouble no matter who the new HC is!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:Cortez released in Regina. Presumably he would be interested.

LaPolice interested.

Wally would take Cortez in heartbeat as the OC Joe, which as Blitz said would be a mistake...we need fresh blood with new ideas. If Jeff Garcia would accept the role, how do you take Cortez over Garcia??? And for that matter, if Garcia wants Wally's help administratively as the new HC, it would be a purrfect world for Wally...the new blood that understands the players of today as he wanted, plus it would allow him to stay connected to the football operations...this difference would be that Garcia, as HC, would determine our philosophies, which for Garcia would mean a way to beat the pressure Offensively and a way to generate pressure Defensively...a win/win situation for Lion's fans...

We will see what happens, but OUR NEW ASSISTANT COACHES will be AS IMPORTANT as our new HC. If someone comes in and keeps Dorazio, Jones, McMann and Washington we will be in trouble no matter who the new HC is!
Rolling the dice on Garcia? How would he be with the media? How would he handle adversity? Will he get buy in from the players?

Personally, as a fan, I would not mind if Wally rolled the dice on Jeff Garcia. After getting pounded 50-17, from a lead of 50-3 before the Alouettes eased up, without a quarterback in a quarterback driven league, without a Head Coach, sliding down the slope, radical change is in order. Garcia might be the spark we need, on the field, and in the turnstiles.

But we don't know if Garcia will succeed or fail. No track record as a coach.

MLF, as a fan, I would like Wally to roll the dice on this one. Go with Garcia. Unless Dickenson can be pried from the comfort of Calgary, with big bucks, and autonomy.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Blitz
Team Captain

Wally would take Cortez in heartbeat as the OC Joe, which as Blitz said would be a mistake...we need fresh blood with new ideas. MLF
It would be a mistake to hire Cortez as HC or OC. Wouldn't be surprised though if one of the two happened. Wally likes guys who have worked for him.
Cortez’s play calling c‎ame under fire throughout the season, and whispers from within the organization suggested a stubbornness to change.
Those spread offensive coordinators are resistant to change. :bang:

The HC I would hire, if he was willing, would be Matt Dunigan. However, Dunigan and LaPolice would be wise to stay with TSN.

At present, if LaPolice, Orlando, and Garcia were the candidates I would take Orlando over LaPolice and Garcia. I would not risk Garcia as the HC but he would certainly be a very good candidate for OC and that would be a promotion for him.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:Chapdelaine for HC wouldn't be a bad choice, as I think that he needs more control than he was allowed as OC with the Lions. Of course I was sick of the OC by 2010, but having the offensive background, he would help any OC that was hired. It may not be popular, but until we find out the real candidates, I would keep an open mind to his selection, especially given the limited list that we are working on.

I would also add Jeff Reinebold to the staff, he is a great bridge between players and coaches, not sure how his OC resume looks, but I could handle the idea of him being the OC as well. Then the two other coaching positions to be filled would have to be the ST coach and OL coach, with Kelly Bates being lined up for the OL move already. Those are the important ones, the rest are on the new HC. :)
Chapdelaine was fired partly because he's a tough sell to season ticket holders now you want him back as Head Coach ?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
Wally would take Cortez in heartbeat as the OC Joe, which as Blitz said would be a mistake...we need fresh blood with new ideas. MLF
It would be a mistake to hire Cortez as HC or OC. Wouldn't be surprised though if one of the two happened. Wally likes guys who have worked for him.

The HC I would hire, if he was willing, would be Matt Dunigan. However, Dunigan and LaPolice would be wise to stay with TSN.

At present, if LaPolice, Orlando, and Garcia were the candidates I would take Orlando over LaPolice and Garcia. I would not risk Garcia as the HC but he would certainly be a very good candidate for OC and that would be a promotion for him.
Yes, I mentioned this before about Dunigan. He has lots of critics. He had a horrible situation in Calgary with the F Troop.

Although no Rhodes scholar, he has survival skills and intelligence. He can rally the troops. He can lead. Xs and Os? Absolutely.

I would support his hiring as Head Coach.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Any reason given for Cortez's dismissal ? Heard he was hard headed and difficult to deal with but he knows his x and o's
Ravi
Legend

David Naylor is saying that Barron Miles, Richie Hall and Cortez will all be looking for work as of tomorrow. All good candidates for the new B.C. coaching staff.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Ravi wrote:David Naylor is saying that Barron Miles, Richie Hall and Cortez will all be looking for work as of tomorrow. All good candidates for the new B.C. coaching staff.
Wow Ravi, if that's true that's wonderful...with so much change happening courtesy of SSK, Wally will need to get the process started MON morning...Ritchie Hall is a brilliant defensive mind and Barron Miles is one of the best young minds in CFL football! Bring it on!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Blitz
Team Captain

MexicoLionFan wrote:
Ravi wrote:David Naylor is saying that Barron Miles, Richie Hall and Cortez will all be looking for work as of tomorrow. All good candidates for the new B.C. coaching staff.
Wow Ravi, if that's true that's wonderful...with so much change happening courtesy of SSK, Wally will need to get the process started MON morning...Ritchie Hall is a brilliant defensive mind and Barron Miles is one of the best young minds in CFL football! Bring it on![/quote

With Wally as GM ...Mark Washington will, in all likelihood, be back as DC.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
pennw
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
Rammer wrote:Chapdelaine for HC wouldn't be a bad choice, as I think that he needs more control than he was allowed as OC with the Lions. Of course I was sick of the OC by 2010, but having the offensive background, he would help any OC that was hired. It may not be popular, but until we find out the real candidates, I would keep an open mind to his selection, especially given the limited list that we are working on.

I would also add Jeff Reinebold to the staff, he is a great bridge between players and coaches, not sure how his OC resume looks, but I could handle the idea of him being the OC as well. Then the two other coaching positions to be filled would have to be the ST coach and OL coach, with Kelly Bates being lined up for the OL move already. Those are the important ones, the rest are on the new HC. :)
Chapdelaine was fired partly because he's a tough sell to season ticket holders now you want him back as Head Coach ?

IMO Chapdelaine would be a good choice as HC . I think we had the wrong guy succeed Bouno as HC myself . But as it is , if Chap was brought back , with autonomy it would be a better situation for him , now that WB has had to swallow his pride and give up the reigns . It would have been very hard for any HC after WB coming in and retaining the stale Assistants . Anyone coming in is going to need to get rid of at least a couple of WB's favorite assistants (eg Dorazio) and also run D according to a new philosophy whether that is with Washington as DC or a new DC . That and they will need a new QB , no way BC is going anywhere with Glenn back as starter , no matter who the OC is .
Ravi
Legend

There are rumours that Chapdelaine is headed to Saskatchewan to become their new offensive coordinator. I hope that Durant likes the hand signals.