Arland Bruce Contract Extended

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

joe kapp22
Legend

Just wanted to add 1130 am is also reporting that Paris and Jarious Jackson won't be back in BC

Downside to having so many FA this offseason, glad to have Bruce back, will miss those two though.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Rammer
Team Captain

joe kapp22 wrote:Just wanted to add 1130 am is also reporting that Paris and Jarious Jackson won't be back in BC

Downside to having so many FA this offseason, glad to have Bruce back, will miss those two though.
I was wondering about JJ, but Paris was a foregone decision that wasn't completed last season due to Paris's Lion sized heart. As for JJ, he is a great team player, but not enough production at his salary level.
Entertainment value = an all time low
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Both have been loyal Lions but their departures were foregone conclusions. I was hoping Jarious would land a role as QB coach, though.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Gonna miss 'em both. Class all the way. Team guys. Leaders. Professionals.

Time has caught up to them.

Paris is nearly recovered from his injuries. But now he has Foster, Gore and Iannuzzi ahead of him.

Jarious just has too big a contract for a guy who doesn't play. Plus he never did develop soft touch on short and medium passes. Should be a great coach someday however.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Any rumours where Jarius is heading ?
Anglophone
All Star

MexicoLionFan wrote:
1) Versus Edmonton in the West Final, when the Esks were trying to make a game of it, Lulay scrambled left and decided to run...60 yards later he was in the end zone and the game was functionally over. Lulay hit downtown because of the DEVASTATING block laid out by Bruce.

2) Versus Winnipeg in the Grey Cup, Bruce was uncharacteristically quiet in the first half and was even taunted by BB defenders, but he exploded during the most important 30 minutes of the season, and there was no better play than his incredibly tough catch on 2nd and long, in our end, that got us first down yardage and eventually led to a TD that helped put the game out of reach. Clutch and Tough...
I would also add:
3.) The October 28 game vs. Calgary, when he caught the 3rd and long from Lulay that set up the 53 yard FG to win it.

I would think that JJ would be going to Edmonton to take over when Jyles flunks out. I could easily see him as a starter there (provided they don't acquire anyone else) by week 8.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

I think Wally knew all along that he was going to pay for all of these extensions and FA signings with the money he saved from both JJ and PJ's contracts. That is $300.000 extra dollars to play with.

What I would really like to see is Brent Johnson come back for one more season and rotate in at the DE position...and that contract won't cost us anymore than we had committed to him last year.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Blitz
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:I must admit I thought bringing Bruce was a move designed only to smoke screen the disastrous offense as even him not playing the first game in Vancouver he dominated the news media. Remember Shirtgate and the diversion of Wally denying all witness accounts that Bruce wore #1 on the sidelines? Well his play certainly did seem to be a catalyst in this team and they did pick themselves up big time along with JC changing his tactics and looking like a great game planner and play caller.

I heard Stegall speak of this guy's work ethic as they train together in the US off season.

The problems in Toronto I put down more to Andrus the HC than to Arland Bruce. Not so sure about the Ticat situation.

Some guys wear thin in sports after a season or two. Let's hope it was just situational in Hamilton and he doesn't tire of BC.

Last season when he arrived - from then on the Lions got on a roll and the season was magical with a GC win. Next year that is all history and it will be back to TC and slogging and slugging it out. History does not always repeat.
Things were very dire when Wally signed Bruce last season and signing a vet receiver like Bruce who had baggage was not something Wally would have normally done but things were looking desperate.

Bruce added a weapon to our offence that made a difference but it was his positive approach, his demeanor, his incredible work ethic, and the chemistry that he brought to our Leos that were even more important. Bruce signed for a little less than he was paid last season....a good off-season signing and its obvious that Bruce really wanted to sign here and go for the repeat.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Wally should have addressed this position at least a year earlier. Since Claremont left Geroy has had to endure entire defensive schemes designed to contain him, not just double teams, but EVERYONE from the LBs back being aware and checking for Geroy...once Arland arrived you say the difference, and right away.

Look at the last 4 games of the season in particular...most of what our offensive achieved was derived from the defences' strategy of taking away Geroy AND Arland at all costs...EACH was being doubled teamed by using the SAM LB in coverage...this is why Harris had a field day in the passing game as there was NO ONE LEFT to account for him out of the backfield. Credit to the coaches and Travis for identifying this and exploiting it.

Bruce WAS the key move that catapulted this team to an elite level...Mitchell, Kornegay and Harris all starting didn't hurt either.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

MexicoLionFan wrote:I think Wally knew all along that he was going to pay for all of these extensions and FA signings with the money he saved from both JJ and PJ's contracts. That is $300.000 extra dollars to play with.

What I would really like to see is Brent Johnson come back for one more season and rotate in at the DE position...and that contract won't cost us anymore than we had committed to him last year.
Lol cfl contracts may be small but $300.00 is pretty minor for 2 guys doncha think lol
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Wakesbetterthanyou wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote:I think Wally knew all along that he was going to pay for all of these extensions and FA signings with the money he saved from both JJ and PJ's contracts. That is $300.000 extra dollars to play with.

Lol cfl contracts may be small but $300.00 is pretty minor for 2 guys doncha think lol
The CFL salary cap is 4.35 million. Figure you bring in two guys at the minimum to replace them on the roster (88k) and that frees up $212k, or roughly 5% of your cap to dole out raises to those players who deserve them. And there are plenty. Not small change in the grand scheme of things.