Riders vs. Lions Game Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hope Benevides and the boys have a special package to defend against the Riders' 13th man :wink:
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

lets get it! here we go leos!
2012 Season Ticket Holder
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I think the Lions win a defensive battle tonight. Either way I am looking forward to tonights game.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=327181
Rider defensive back Tad Kornegay said Printers' size, arm strength and mobility make him a difficult package to contain.

"He scrambles, he's dangerous outside the pocket," said Kornegay. "You really have to try and get pressure on that guy. We know if he has time he will make a play.

"Our biggest thing is limiting his time in throwing the ball."
Casey hasn't gotten into a great rhythm yet this year. I expect it will happen. I think he has put a lot of pressure on himself. Back in 2004, he was not really The Guy. That was Dave Dickenson. As great as Casey was that year, he was still a bit under the radar. And by the end of the year, his stats and results showed that he was the elite QB in the league for 2004.
Riders head coach Ken Miller said it's been a busy couple weeks as the coaches developed strategies for Montreal's Anthony Calvillo and Printers.

"They're each quality quarterbacks in their own right," said Miller. "With Anthony we tried to move him off the middle of the line and didn't do that as well as we'd like.

"With Casey, now we want to keep him on the mid line so it's a little different logistical situation. We're working on that plan."
In the CFL it usually comes down to the QBs. Printers vs Durant should be a good one.
The young Lions' offence line received a passing grade in Edmonton, but will face an even more difficult test against the Riders defence.

"They move around, they give you some unique fronts that you only see with Saskatchewan," said Hameister-Ries. "You work on those at practice and run the plays you think you are going to be successful with."
The Esks didn't seem to attack our O Line as they might have. But then we did seem to have some of the elements of Offence to take the pass rush pressure off Casey. The Riders D should be a good indicator of the progress of our O Line. If we have slow developing plays, and underutilize the running game, I would say Casey will be running for his life.
Gary Etcheverry, the Riders' defensive co-ordinator, has been working on some looks that may confuse the Lions.

"For veterans, it's hard to cope with what we give," said Kornegay. "For new guys, it's going to be a new look.

"They've never seen nothing like it before. It's going to be our advantage to take full advantage of that and make some plays out there."
We'll see. Talk is cheap. The Lions' O Line is huge and physical. No matter how many looks the Riders show, if the Lions play a power game, they can get the job done. Running game, quick passes. Negate the rush with screens and swing passes. Wear the D Line down. Jack Chap IMO has shown some willingness to do these things more this year.
Attacking the Riders offence is like handling a ticking bomb.

Saskatchewan quarterback Darian Durant threw for 481 yards and five touchdowns against Montreal. He was named the CFL offensive player of the week.

Weston Dressler had 10 catches for 154 yards and a touchdown while Wes Cates had 112 yards rushing and a touchdown on 13 carries.
Durant, Dressler, Cates. Many weapons.
"Saskatchewan can beat you with a lot of big plays," said B.C. defensive end Brent Johnson. "They are a very high-powered offence.

"They can put the big play on you very quickly. The next thing you know, you are down two touchdowns. That being said, I think we have good packages in and I think we have the right personnel."
If Brent Johnson likes their packages, this might mean we will see the influence of Rich Stubler again. IMO passive, prevent style D is a dinosaur in the CFL. IMO you must attack on D or face near certain death against the top offences in the CFL.

This will be a great test for our team, and a very good test of our progress. Both teams are loaded with weapons. I am glad the Riders won last week. They won't be as desperate as they might otherwise be.
wildthing
All Star

good luck to the Leos :beer: , but obviously I am want a Rider W
LFITQ
Team Captain

I've been reading bits and pieces online that there are protestors expected outside the stadium tonight. Apparently protesting the new roof on the dome.

Make sure no "unnecessary roughness" penalties are taken by CFL fans.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The key to the game for the Lions is to prevent Durant from completing the long ball. Rider receivers are all capable of going deep, but Rob Bagg and Weston Dressler are the biggest concerns. Bagg's only two 100-yard games last year came against B.C., and he scored three of his five touchdowns in those games. Two of Dressler's three biggest games last year came against the Lions. He averaged 22 yards a catch in both of those games.
joe kapp22
Legend

What I'd like to see:

-Casey to play mistake free football for a second straight week, no key turnovers.

-Secondary to show it's speed and tackling ability, BF, Riddick, Henderson, Sanchez, all have to come up huge again.

-Robertson to perform at a high level.

-Robert Jordan show more than competency.

-Dline plays a bit better, not sure if Keron Williams is in the lineup, but if not Dominie Pittman and Brent J have to impose their will on the Riders Tackles.

No doubt the Riders are a great team, but I also think if we play the fundamentally sound game, we can win it
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
LFITQ
Team Captain

I finally understand Rider fan mentality.

LFITQ
Team Captain

And I see the League favouritism to the Riders is back in full force. Why no penalty for rough play on Simpson? Not giving me much reason to come back to the CFL this year already.
KILLER
Legend

free shot on the QB...not cool.
DEATH AWAITS YOU ALL WITH NASTY BIG POINTY TEETH!
LFITQ
Team Captain

There's that "attacking D" we saw last year. 2nd and 8 and we send 3 to rush. Result? 1st down Riders.
KILLER
Legend

Mckenzie on Dressler is not a match up I want..
DEATH AWAITS YOU ALL WITH NASTY BIG POINTY TEETH!
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Dresler must be contained or it will be a long night for the leo dbs tonight
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
LFITQ
Team Captain

If Phillips puts his HANDS and arms around the body of Dressler (like in a "form" tackle) he has a chance for a strip. But instead he goes back to the old "reliable" shoulder hit tackle... Result? Big gain for the riders.