Official 2008-09 Vancouver Giants Season Thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

bclions16 wrote:
Robbie wrote:Congrats to the Giants for going to the second round after a sweep of PG.

I was surprised to hear about the city of Spokane did. It goes to show how much they love their NCAA basketball team that other teams take a back stage. Game 5 of Seattle at Spokane originally scheduled on Friday has been postponed to Saturday, so that everyone in Spokane can watch Gonzaga take on North Carolina in the South Regional Semifinal in Memphis Tennessee.
Surprised? It's a completely predictable and reasonable move.
Well, I don't see other cities do something like that often. On November 19, 2006, the BC Lions were playing for the Grey Cup, and yet the Vancouver Canucks game against Chicago Blackhawks went on as scheduled even though the start time would conflict with the final moments and post-game celebrations.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
bclions16
Champion

Robbie wrote:
bclions16 wrote: Surprised? It's a completely predictable and reasonable move.
Well, I don't see other cities do something like that often. On November 19, 2006, the BC Lions were playing for the Grey Cup, and yet the Vancouver Canucks game against Chicago Blackhawks went on as scheduled even though the start time would conflict with the final moments and post-game celebrations.
While the Lions are unfortunately #2 to the Canucks in Vancouver, at least they are in the same realm of awareness, passion and history. You can't compare the Canucks/Lions to the Gonzaga Bulldogs/Spokane Chiefs, a better comparison (despite their playoff schedules not conflicting) would be comparing the Canucks to the Vancouver Canadians. I just mean compared to NCAA, the WHL is barely on the radar. In Spokane EVERYONE, I mean EVERYONE is aware of Gonzaga and the NCAA tournament, while only a small if not loyal minority of the population cares about the WHL.

By the way, I don't care much for "March Madness", but here in the US you just can't avoid it. Even non-sports fans are into it.
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Robbie
Hall of Famer

bclions16 wrote:
Robbie wrote:
bclions16 wrote: Surprised? It's a completely predictable and reasonable move.
While the Lions are unfortunately #2 to the Canucks in Vancouver, at least they are in the same realm of awareness, passion and history. You can't compare the Canucks/Lions to the Gonzaga Bulldogs/Spokane Chiefs, a better comparison (despite their playoff schedules not conflicting) would be comparing the Canucks to the Vancouver Canadians. I just mean compared to NCAA, the WHL is barely on the radar. In Spokane EVERYONE, I mean EVERYONE is aware of Gonzaga and the NCAA tournament, while only a small if not loyal minority of the population cares about the WHL.
I suppose I can understand that now. For a fairly large city that does not have a professional sports team, then college teams represent the city. And since Gonzaga does not have a football team like UW and WSU, then the basketball team becomes the heart and soul for the city.

Spokane must be grieving now since the Bulldogs failed to advance. :bawl:
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
nelson95
Legend

Gonzaga once again a backup bridesmaid on deck

nevertheless, quite a force for a small school
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The Giants defeated the Spokane Chiefs 3 - 1 Friday night in the opening game of their playoff series. Fast and furious, with heavy hitting most of the game. A tight checking game with excellent goaltending on both sides.

These kids play their hearts out. It's a fantastic spectator sport. The old Pacific Coliseum is still a great venue for hockey, IMO. Pretty good security. Not too many idiots playing the fool in the stands (OK, a bit of popcorn flying around). Good family environment for the most part. Terrible towels on all the seatbacks before the game.

Game 2 tonight.
Bleddyn
Starter

Robbie wrote:I suppose I can understand that now. For a fairly large city that does not have a professional sports team, then college teams represent the city.
Actually in alot of places down here the college teams draw more then the pros, even if they have NFL or NBA in the same city. Football more then Basketball but the following and support the collegiate sports get is something that I didn't fully comprehend until spending alot of time in the US. It is insane.

But hell, my brother-in-law plays for the San Diego Stallions of the LCFL South and his games draw more then a CIS final! We really have nothing to compare to it in Canada.. nobody does really. I still remember a British commentator during the '94 World Cup, while covering a game at the Rose Bowl saying over and over, "I still cannot believe this stadium is owned by a SCHOOL!" :roar:

Now the WHL may not be that big in Spokane, but again with the NCAA.. I can always find NCAA Hockey on TV in San Diego, actually they even play High School hockey on TV, but these are US schools, not teams in the Canadian Hockey League.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:The Giants defeated the Spokane Chiefs 3 - 1 Friday night in the opening game of their playoff series. Fast and furious, with heavy hitting most of the game. A tight checking game with excellent goaltending on both sides.

These kids play their hearts out. It's a fantastic spectator sport. The old Pacific Coliseum is still a great venue for hockey, IMO. Pretty good security. Not too many idiots playing the fool in the stands (OK, a bit of popcorn flying around). Good family environment for the most part. Terrible towels on all the seatbacks before the game.

Game 2 tonight.
And game 2 went to the Giants, 4-1.

Game 3 moves to Spokane on Tuesday night, with the Chiefs down two games to none.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

So much for dominating their opponents just when they went up 2-0. The series is now tied up at 2-2. :cr: :shock:
祝你龍年行大運。
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Heartbreaker last night. 3 - 2 for the Chiefs. In the 4th overtime period.

My observations:

At times the Giants looked the better team. For much of the game, the Chiefs looked better. Back and forth the momentum went.

The Chiefs forecheck ferociously, play tough defense, take the body at every opportunity, cycle the puck really well, get great goaltending, and have great speed covering the ice.

The Giants perhaps have better offensive skills, along with most of the above. As well as the Giants skate as a team, it seems to me the Chiefs skate just a bit better.

Not much to choose between the abilities of these two teams. Tokarski and Sexsmith both played very well.

The Giants have to win away and home now to take the series.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Man, that game was nuts... the teams ARE very evenly matched (despite appearances from the first two games), but as the night wore on, the Chiefs seemed to just have a little more jump, to have the extra half-step on the Giants... and in the end, that's what killed us: a partial break by Gal, and faking out a tired Sexsmith.

Final tally: 3-2 Chiefs; shots 64-59 for the Giants; game ended 6:05 into the fourth OT, at around 12:40am.

Last thing I'd had to eat yesterday was Subway at about 2pm, and I had no money for any of the concessions, so I was pretty f'n hungry by the time I got out of there!
(\__/)
nelson95
Legend

Giants against the ropes

Tokarski the difference in this series
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Wow.

What a series. Nothing to choose between these teams. Well coached. Extremely hard working. They play smart. They take the body. They move the puck. They clear the front of the goal area. They cycle the puck. They check like madmen. Great skating and passing.

IMO Tokarski is a bit steadier than Sexsmith, and perhaps a bit luckier.

The Giant have perhaps somewhat more offensive ability.

The Chiefs might have somewhat more speed, but not much.

IMHO

The Giants were full measure for the win. The referee blew a call nullifying a Giants goal early in overtime.

Giants win 3 to 2 in game 6. Back to Vancouver for game 7. Go Giants.
D
Team Captain

It's been a great series. I was at Game 1 and the marathon OT game ... I'll be there 2moro night

Tokarski has looked poised but this win by the Giants may have him rattled a bit. :cr: I like Bowman on the chiefs he could be a game breaker

Go Giants :cheer: game 7 :yahoo:
I own The Grey Cup! .com
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Nick Ross's goal early into overtime tonight (the FIRST overtime, this time) gave the Giants the 1-0 win to advance to round 3 vs. the Kelowna Rockets.

:yahoo: :rockin: :beer: :beauty:
(\__/)
D
Team Captain

Not the most exciting game I've been to but they got it done ... bring on the rockets

Go Giants :cheer:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I own The Grey Cup! .com