Coaching changes needed

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

lucky leo
Rookie

The offensive side need to be revamped. Jacque or Dorazio are not the answer we need a true offensive co-ordinater. As it showed today their was poor excution and poor playcalling. The offense has been in trouble for the last 2 yrs it also lacks innovation. Get rid of Jarious he isnt worth the price tag...take that money and give it to wake... Benevides also made poor choices at certain times on defence especially with 15 seconds left in the first half.... no safety to help out dante....whats up with that...

Shake up is needed...Wally pulls Peirce for jarious which jarious then fumbles the ball.....let peirce play ball just give him the right plays to do something....
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

This is Benevides' first year as a defensive coordinator and I'm prepared to give him a little slack but Chapdelaine has no excuses.
almo89
Legend

I think Benevides will improve. This was his first season, but I wanna see chap gone. It's the same old thing every time.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I'll be happy to drive Chapdelaine to the airport.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:I'll be happy to drive Chapdelaine to the airport.
Anyone up for a motorcade?
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:
I call shotgun.

8)

:lol:
David
Team Captain

Benevides redeemed himself in my eyes for his playoff game plans. Brilliant. The weak-side corner blitz from Marsh yesterday was one of the ballsiest calls I've seen. It opened up the entire left side of the field for Burris, but Smilin' Hank was on his keister before he even knew what hit him and, as a consequence, it took them out of field goal range (he got up stunned, complaining to the refs even though he didn't even know what he was complaining about. Priceless). That's precisely the kind of risk taking you need in a West Final. Too bad the offensive side of the ball didn't follow suite.

I also like how Benevides called a lot of man D against Calgary and kept Burris out of his comfort zone all afternoon and Reynolds largely in check.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Tighthead
Legend

I still like Wally as a GM, but I wouldn't mind if he became a full time GM, and a new HC came in who brought his own staff in. It isn't going to happen, but I can dream.

Benevides may be progressing, which would be nice. His unit may also not be as talented as many would believe.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I'd seriously consider promoting Mike Benevides to Head Coach of the Lions. Otherwise he will probably be gone to another team.

Wally has been here 6 years as Head Coach. Bob Ackles is no longer with us. It might be time for Wally to move up too. GM and President. Less pressure for Wally. Younger blood and energy with Benevides to drive the team, and kick some butt.
Last edited by WestCoastJoe on Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blitz
Team Captain

David wrote:Benevides redeemed himself in my eyes for his playoff game plans. Brilliant. The weak-side corner blitz from Marsh yesterday was one of the ballsiest calls I've seen. It opened up the entire left side of the field for Burris, but Smilin' Hank was on his keister before he even knew what hit him and, as a consequence, it took them out of field goal range (he got up stunned, complaining to the refs even though he didn't even know what he was complaining about. Priceless). That's precisely the kind of risk taking you need in a West Final. Too bad the offensive side of the ball didn't follow suite.

I also like how Benevides called a lot of man D against Calgary and kept Burris out of his comfort zone all afternoon and Reynolds largely in check.

DH 8)
I thought it was a great game plan too David...from the blitzes to surprising Calgary with a lot of man....we had been getting 'zoneitis' and it put responsibility on each defensive back.

As for our offence...of course it was the same 'old stuff''.......somethings in life never change....like having to put out the garbage, changing socks, and watching Chaps play calling...
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Solar Max wrote:
Lions4ever wrote:
I call shotgun.

8)

:lol:
We're not going to shoot him. (as much as I would like to :lol: ). We're going to give him to another team so he can screw up their offence.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:I'd seriously consider promoting Mike Benevides to Head Coach of the Lions. Otherwise he will probably be gone to another team.
Not convinced that he's ready for a promotion to Head Coach. Been a Special Teams coach for several years and 1 year as a Defensive Coordinator.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

David wrote:Benevides redeemed himself in my eyes for his playoff game plans. Brilliant. The weak-side corner blitz from Marsh yesterday was one of the ballsiest calls I've seen. It opened up the entire left side of the field for Burris, but Smilin' Hank was on his keister before he even knew what hit him and, as a consequence, it took them out of field goal range (he got up stunned, complaining to the refs even though he didn't even know what he was complaining about. Priceless). That's precisely the kind of risk taking you need in a West Final. Too bad the offensive side of the ball didn't follow suite.

DH 8)
I completely agree with you. Towards the end of the season and especially in the playoffs, the game plans put together by Mike were great. I think a lot of our problems defensively this year simply came down to the players and the rolls they were in. Mike could call the best game in the world, but if you've got lazy tackling and missed assignments it's not going to add up to much. Get some better talent and give Benevides another year of experience and you'll see an improved defence.

Our biggest problems lie with conservative play calling on offence. And whose direction do we look when that's the weakest link? We need to take a page out of the Eskimos' play book, addition by subtraction.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

No Ordinary Joe wrote: Our biggest problems lie with conservative play calling on offence. And whose direction do we look when that's the weakest link? We need to take a page out of the Eskimos' play book, addition by subtraction.
How'd that work out for the Esks this year?
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:
No Ordinary Joe wrote: Our biggest problems lie with conservative play calling on offence. And whose direction do we look when that's the weakest link? We need to take a page out of the Eskimos' play book, addition by subtraction.
How'd that work out for the Esks this year?
A more consistent and explosive offence. If we had that to compliment our defence, next Sunday would be a lot more entertaining.