Cam Cole Column Embarrassing to Lions Coach? Your Take?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Cam Cole, the Dean of deans in sports column writing had an interesting take on the hits that Buck Pierce took and those taken by Dave Dickenson when here as QB. He says these are items that might grow up to be columns. For Buck Pierce's sake I hope so as the hits he took should be an embarrassment to the coaching staff who waited 3 quarters of the game to be done before making the changes that exploited the Esks defensive weakness with their safety on the BC Lion line of scrimmage with no attempt to block the guy. If players are assets and QBs even more valuable assets why did it take so long to respond what so clearly was happening.

I know they can call in the reporters and show film that suggests that Pierce didn't see some open guy thus got hit full out but that begs another question. If you see after a full quarter that your QB is playing great but missing this open guy and taking too many hits, why not adjust the blocking to take account of this with two backs and get that safety back in position or run some plays that take advantage of that big hole back there?? Lions waited until the 3rd Q to respond. I think they should be embarrassed as it is either pretty poor coaching in a game situation of wanton neglect of the health of their valuable asset. All I have heard is that is the pro game and they are sending the helmet hit to Buck's chin in to the CFL for review.

Is there not some help line for beaten up QBs that the QB can call if his coach doesn't protect him properly? Sheesh, kids can call the help line number on the back of transit buses when they are not protected. There is even legislation requiring protection for kids, the mentally challenged and endangered species.
----
Monday, October 20, 2008

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news ... 15aa9aa7d6

"Which of the B.C. Lions' offensive linemen was it who said that quarterback sacks were the most overrated statistic in football?

Doesn't matter. Whoever it was, he's right.

The blockers were about three-quarters of the way to getting QB Buck Pierce killed Friday night in Edmonton, and the Lions still won the game, from which we can draw two conclusions: (a) all those Dave Dickenson concussions were no fluke and (b) Pierce is still injury-prone, he's just refusing to leave the field now.

But really. Did you ever see a guy with a bad shoulder, bad ankle and bells ringing in his ears get punished like that, and keep on getting up?

It was positively Duniganesque. If not Favrean. "
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

What I want to know is why is it our QB's take a pounding but there never seems to be a flag thrown, yet when other QB's (Ray Glenn Calvilo ) get a pop there are RTP flags all over the place.

Not whining, it just seems our QB's take a pounding with no repercussions
Rammer
Team Captain

While I agree on that aspect, I would also suggest that Ray gets his fair share of non calls as well. Burris is an enigma in the amount of calls he draws for RP.
Entertainment value = an all time low
squishy35
Legend

Rammer wrote:While I agree on that aspect, I would also suggest that Ray gets his fair share of non calls as well. Burris is an enigma in the amount of calls he draws for RP.

That's because no other QB in the league whines to the refs as much as him. It's pathetic to see him after almost every play that doesn't go in Calgary's favor he has his hands up and is chirping in the ref's ears.
ziggy
Legend

No QB will be able to take that kind of beating, game in game out, nor should he. It was clear RR was getting a lot more time against the best D line in the CFL than was BP against Edmontons . I hope the coaching staff has a hard look at how both Buck and Jason Clermont are being sacraficed this year.
lucky leo
Rookie

Why have a sex receiver set when you dont throw to the other receivers other than geroy, paris or clermont....But the lions have had poor coaching on offensive for the last 4 yrs.....coaches design the plays and there not working...Peirce should go elsewhere in this 8 team league where they might provide him with some decent coaches and better protection
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

lucky leo wrote:Why have a sex receiver set
Um...I dunno. Anyone?
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Two comments:

1. Buck's performance was as gutsy as it gets. He was brutalized out there. Makes me think back to the game between Marshall and Akron (I think) many years ago when Byron Leftwich was the Marshall QB and his linemen had to carry him to the next LOS because he could barely walk.

2. RR does get favourable calls, no question. In the last drive when Edmonton was going downfield for the FG attempt (ultimately blocked as we all know) Johnson was coming off the edge and being held blatantly -by the facemask- no less and the official who was right there staring right at the play miraculously developed T-Rex (the dinosaur, not the band) arms and could not reach into his pocket for his flag. Stunning. Absolutely stunning.
firstdown45

yeah I like the idea of a sex receiver set
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

firstdown45 wrote:yeah I like the idea of a sex receiver set
Steady down there in the basement.
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

The only reason ray wasnt on his ass all night was because the esks right tackle would wrap his arm around cam wakes neck each play and never get called. The refs were brutal on friday, late hits not called, holds not called. Cam should have waved the white flag but is too decent an individual to use such tactics.
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Wakesbetterthanyou wrote:The only reason ray wasnt on his ass all night was because the esks right tackle would wrap his arm around cam wakes neck each play and never get called. The refs were brutal on friday, late hits not called, holds not called. Cam should have waved the white flag but is too decent an individual to use such tactics.
I agree. You know, usually it is the territory of the fans of the losing team to gripe about the unfair officiating. We won and we're still griping. Tells you how bad it was. Maybe next time the refs will just take a page out of Wilbur Hackett Jr.'s book and just put the shoulder to Wake or Johnson. At least that would be more honest.
Tighthead
Legend

I am loathe to complain about officiating, but Wake is getting hosed. It is like the league decided that having him terrorize QBs is bad entertainment.
zark
Champion

Thats football.I'm sure Mosca went through that as well.The best are always challenged.I'll bet Wake loves the challenge as well.Lets not cry for Wake,Because he doesn't need it.The others on the D-line should step up.
As for embarrassing?That Dickenson interview.Why even post that?The aussie goof.I don't get it.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx