Hope for "canadian" culture yet

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

the poll so far, on telus site

What should happen to the number of emigrants allowed into Canada each year?
10% It should be increased
14% It should stay the same
70% It should be decreased
6% Don't know
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Emigrants? Does that only refer to refugees and migrants, or does it refer to all those who attempt to immigrate to Canada?
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:Emigrants? Does that only refer to refugees and migrants, or does it refer to all those who attempt to immigrate to Canada?
those who come to canada are emigrants. Those who stay are immigrants. Either way, it ends up meaning the same thing in the end.
nelson95
Legend

Need more diverse refugees and less people buying their way in.

I'd rather pay the social cost of this(welfare,ESL) than the social cost of homelessness and people being forced out to Boston Bar.
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
nelson95
Legend

Our immigration policies are discriminatory against humans that are poor and uneducated. Our society believes it is wrong to discriminate on the basis of race, religions, income, etc. However, our immigration policies definitely do discriminate: people without money or education score lower on our point system, and immigration by them is kept minimal. Those who have money in the bank and proper education are allowed to become “one of us” in Club Canada. I contend that such discrimination is equally immoral as discrimination on the basis of religion, race, sexual orientation etc. to enter our country.
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

nelson95 wrote:Our immigration policies are discriminatory against humans that are poor and uneducated. Our society believes it is wrong to discriminate on the basis of race, religions, income, etc. However, our immigration policies definitely do discriminate: people without money or education score lower on our point system, and immigration by them is kept minimal. Those who have money in the bank and proper education are allowed to become “one of us” in Club Canada. I contend that such discrimination is equally immoral as discrimination on the basis of religion, race, sexual orientation etc. to enter our country.
I partially agree with you.

I dont believe in discrimination of religion, race, political views, etc, nor even sexual orientation (although I am strongly against the practice pedophiles and homosexuality). However, why should we take in those who will only be a drain on our economy, except for charity reasons? I mean, really, why should we take anyone in at all? Coming to Canada is not a right, for anyone. We seem to be in short supply of certain professions, such as doctors, so it makes sense to seek such people first and foremost. It also makes sense to make sure that anyone coming to canada is able to support themselves and make a contribution to society. It also makes sense to not allow "bad" people in, criminals, tyrants, etc.

In any case, we dont need to open the flood gates. I would like to maintain a very high percentage of 3rd gen plus canadians at all times. I dont know where we at with that right now, or what is realistic, but 85% would work for me. People worry about population numbers. Why? So what if we dip down? We were fine with the population we had 40 yrs ago. Why do we need to be any more? They talk about the need for more working people to support our "aging" population, but this is such a short term issue. In a few decades, or less, the aging of us will be gone, probably including myself, and problem will be solved by attrition.
kamfan
Starter

KnowItAll wrote:
Robbie wrote:Emigrants? Does that only refer to refugees and migrants, or does it refer to all those who attempt to immigrate to Canada?
those who come to canada are emigrants. Those who stay are immigrants. Either way, it ends up meaning the same thing in the end.
Sorry, maybe you should do a bit of research first, "emigration" is the act of leaving a country, "immigration" is the act of coming into a country.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

kamfan wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:
Sorry, maybe you should do a bit of research first, "emigration" is the act of leaving a country, "immigration" is the act of coming into a country.
Yeah, I know the difference. KIA's wording caused some confusion, but now I think KIA's wording now, if you think about numbers.

If 1000 people successfully emigrate their original country into Canada and they are accepted by Canada, then you have 1000 immigrants into Canada.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

kamfan wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:
I did research

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-dif ... igrant.htm
The term emigrant implies the process of travel. And emigration is the actual act of relocation from country. The person going from one place to another is in the process of emigrating
Perhaps I should have said, those in the process of coming to Canada are emigrants. Either way, I think I was a little closer than you, but no big deal, right?
An immigrant is a person who once resided somewhere else and now lives in your country
nelson95
Legend

We are a have country

We shouldn't be poaching other countries professionals when we have people who would gladly be trained here but don't make the list(usually not because they are good enough but because they are not worthy).

BTW homosexuality isn't pedophilia
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

nelson95 wrote:We are a have country

We shouldn't be poaching other countries professionals when we have people who would gladly be trained here but don't make the list(usually not because they are good enough but because they are not worthy).

BTW homosexuality isn't pedophilia
Apparently we dont have enough people who would gladly be trained here. However ,I agree that we shouldnt be actively looking to "poach" doctors and other medical personel needed in other countries. I just say that it makes more sense to allow any of them that want to come to do so. Personally, I am undecided about what to do about doctor shortage. I sometimes think that we should entice potential students by making the training totally free with a provision that they owe 10 yrs service or something to that effect, but then I wonder if this will lesson the quality of the people who apply. Anyhow, my main point re doctors was just that if we are going to let so many new people come, at least they should be people that our society needs, one way or the other.

BTW I didnt realize that I said it was??
Robbie
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
The term emigrant implies the process of travel. And emigration is the actual act of relocation from country. The person going from one place to another is in the process of emigrating
Perhaps I should have said, those in the process of coming to Canada are emigrants. Either way, I think I was a little closer than you, but no big deal, right?
An immigrant is a person who once resided somewhere else and now lives in your country
Oh, perhaps I have been confused again. I always thought that emigration is simply the opposite of immigration. But perhaps that is not your definition. Also, is there any difference between these situations involving four people: W, X, Y, and Z?

#1.
Person W successfully immigrated into Canada, and his previous country did not allow dual citizenship, so he renounced his citizenship from the original country W. In this case, person W is definitely an emigrant from country W.

#2.
Person X successfully immigrated into Canada, but his original country allowed dual citizenship so he continues to have citizenship froim country X, and he can go to country X whenever he wants. So since person X still has citizenship from country X, then is considered an emigrant from country X?

#3.
Person Y has legally lived in Canada but has not obtained citizenship from Canada and instead, retains his citizenship from country Y. A good word for person Y is an expatriate from his country Y. But is he considered an emigrant from country Y?

#4.
Person Z is a migrant who illegally entered and is living in Canada. Obviously, person Z has not immigrated into Canada and he is considered to be an illegal alien. But is person Z still considered to be an emigrant from country Z?
祝你龍年行大運。
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:
Oh, perhaps I have been confused again. I always thought that emigration is simply the opposite of immigration. But perhaps that is not your definition. Also, is there any difference between these situations involving four people: W, X, Y, and Z?

#1.
Person W successfully immigrated into Canada, and his previous country did not allow dual citizenship, so he renounced his citizenship from the original country W. In this case, person W is definitely an emigrant from country W.

#2.
Person X successfully immigrated into Canada, but his original country allowed dual citizenship so he continues to have citizenship froim country X, and he can go to country X whenever he wants. So since person X still has citizenship from country X, then is considered an emigrant from country X?

#3.
Person Y has legally lived in Canada but has not obtained citizenship from Canada and instead, retains his citizenship from country Y. A good word for person Y is an expatriate from his country Y. But is he considered an emigrant from country Y?

#4.
Person Z is a migrant who illegally entered and is living in Canada. Obviously, person Z has not immigrated into Canada and he is considered to be an illegal alien. But is person Z still considered to be an emigrant from country Z?
It is my understanding that both terms have nothing to do with citizenship and that in all 4 cases, the person has emigrated from one country and is now an immigrant in the new country. Person Z being an illegal immigrant.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
Robbie wrote:Oh, perhaps I have been confused again. I always thought that emigration is simply the opposite of immigration. But perhaps that is not your definition. Also, is there any difference between these situations involving four people: W, X, Y, and Z?

#1.

#2.

#3.

#4.
It is my understanding that both terms have nothing to do with citizenship and that in all 4 cases, the person has emigrated from one country and is now an immigrant in the new country. Person Z being an illegal immigrant.
Can anyone else offer your definition?
祝你龍年行大運。
crburrows
Champion

nelson95 wrote:We shouldn't be poaching other countries professionals when we have people who would gladly be trained here but don't make the list(usually not because they are good enough but because they are not worthy).
The immigration points system is not helping anybody - Canada, the immigrants, nor the country of emmigration.

As one anecdotal story, I have a client who immigrated from Russia. He is a lawyer, and his wife is a doctor. Neither can practice here. She is taking courses so that she can practice here. While she is doing that, he is consulting to an export business. They are both doing "OK;" however, there is one fewer doctor and one fewer lawyer in Russia (and, say what you will about lawyers, but Russia could probably use some more).

Many more such stories of doctors, engineers and other professionals moving to Canada - thus depriving the 3rd world of needed skilled professionals - and bringing them here where they cannot ply their skills - deprives the world of these needed professionals.

And then, Canada sends money to third world countries so that they can - what - hire or train doctors and engineers?

Seems the whole points system needs an overhaul.

I'll admit that I don't know exactly who should be admitted, but relieving the third world of its professionals so that they can live here and not ply their trades is not creating wealth in any nation.