Practice Report 20070716 Monday

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Practice Report 20070716 Monday

Once again the mood at practice was all business. Wally made it a short day on the field, only 90 minutes.

Roach running the D Line over and around and through the bags in the agility drills.

Benevides putting the LBs through reaction drills.

Ritchie spending a lot of time on pursuit drills.

Baresi going through the pass catching routine with all the receivers. Clermont snagging a rocket one-handed.

Buck and Jarious share the reps on O.

Lots of passing offense reps with Kruck leading it. Dorazio leading the running game reps. Ian Smart continuing to look very useful on O and on special teams.

Ritchie having DBs send in the signals for the D call, just as Clovis did vs the Riders.

Jarious spots the ball on field goals. McCallum looks sharp.

Wally once again quite relaxed and confident.

Aches and Pains:

Dave D was at the facility in the morning only, his wife chauffering him; DD sent home for recuperation. Cameron Wake and Aaron Hunt feeling fine, showing no ill effects from the chop blocks they received. Otis Floyd in civvies, able to walk but not run. It looks like Pottinger to get the start in his place. That would leave room for Hannah or a DB to draw in for the game, or some other evil Dave Ritchie scheme.

Buck Pierce throwing well with a glove-like pad protecting the back of his hand. Buck and Wally both say he is fine.

Lots of onlookers at practice.

Bring on the Tabbies.
Blitz
Team Captain

Buck Pierce throwing well with a glove-like pad protecting the back of his hand. Buck and Wally both say he is fine.

Bring on the Tabbies.
Great practice report WestCoastJoe! Looks like it will either be Buck or Jarious or both. Like I said, after the first exhibition game...I wanted to keep Jarious! If Buck went down right now...I'd hate to be having to play a raw rookie who could cough it up a lot!! You can never beat depth and especially experience at the depth positions!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

Wish I could have given as detailed a report as you did but I had a great time at practice today. Wish I realized you could actually go on the field though, I didn't realize that until it was like 2:15 after spending the previous 75 minutes sitting on the playground on the opposite side of the field. Didn't realize how close you could actually get to the players and though assumed that the field was off limits. I'll definitely go again.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:

Bring on the Tabbies.
Looks like it will either be Buck or Jarious or both. Like I said, after the first exhibition game...I wanted to keep Jarious! If Buck went down right now...I'd hate to be having to play a raw rookie who could cough it up a lot!! You can never beat depth and especially experience at the depth positions!
Thanks, Blitz.

Yeah, nothing like depth at QB to keep the team going. I think Buck is pretty pumped for the opportunity. He looked great vs the Riders before he got banged up. He is very elusive escaping the pocket.

Jarious deserves a chance also. He still seems mechanical out there though. Maybe he had too much schooling at Notre Dame and Denver.
Rammer
Team Captain

Nice meeting you WCJ, and Jarious needs to use his abilities that are suited for the CFL, pull the ball down and run the ball when in doubt. Trouble is that when you have a gun for an arm like he does, you tend to count any player with a step as a potential strike for the arm. Once he starts to be able to throw on the run while still looking downfield, he will show off his arm more.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Glattfan6
prospect

i heard that Buck will be starting due to a INCIDENT in the Lions Locker room between JJ and Smith. Buck is a quick healer, im sure as long as he takes care of his injury he will be ready for the Cats.
in the lions i trust. always have. always will 18 years and goin strong
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Glattfan6 wrote:i heard that Buck will be starting due to a INCIDENT in the Lions Locker room between JJ and Smith. Buck is a quick healer, im sure as long as he takes care of his injury he will be ready for the Cats.
Care to elaborate?

BTW, you list location as Cgy -- which happens to be JG's hometown. Are you a relative/friend?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

I wouldn't mind hearing about this incident. I'm assuming it's Joe Smith and not Tyler Smith who got into it with JJ. What exactly happened?
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Glattfan6 wrote:i heard that Buck will be starting due to a INCIDENT in the Lions Locker room between JJ and Smith. Buck is a quick healer, im sure as long as he takes care of his injury he will be ready for the Cats.
Smith? Joe Smith? Couldn't be. I don't think he ever says anything.
Glattfan6
prospect

My buddy heard it on tsn,told me about it, but yes our beloved RB was screamin at JJ that he wasnt getting the ball since he started to take snaps after my favorite QB ( pierce) had to sit out friday night after that TD he made. tempers flew, and it was stated that one of them will not be starting. and seeing we dont have Thelwell, we need Smith, and im not much of a fan of JJ,
Glattfan6
prospect

BTW, you list location as Cgy -- which happens to be JG's hometown. Are you a relative/friend?[/quote]
theres more lion fans out here? i figure all the orange n black come from vancouver and edm

this is the reason im movin to vancouver, i need be apart of Orange country. theres too much red out here. and its startin to get to me, every time i go to lion games here in calgary. all i hear is how calgary is better. this season is allowing me to show that the ORANGE is the BEST team. and im no ban wagon jumper, my first game was when i was ten. out in maple ridge visting my aunt n uncle, and my uncle took me to a lions game, first football game ever. and guess who they were playin. well i chose to become a BC lion fan. there for always have been, always will be. and now that Javier is there. makes it even more better for me to be a fan.
midwestlion
Starter

My buddy heard it on tsn,told me about it, but yes our beloved RB was screamin at JJ that he wasnt getting the ball since he started to take snaps after my favorite QB ( pierce) had to sit out friday night after that TD he made. tempers flew, and it was stated that one of them will not be starting. and seeing we dont have Thelwell, we need Smith, and im not much of a fan of JJ,
What do you mean not gettn the ball. I dont understand Sorry? :?
Glattfan6
prospect

midwestlion wrote:

What do you mean not gettn the ball. I dont understand Sorry? :?

that JJ wasnt passing the ball off to him to run with. thats all i know, i dont know how else to explain it.... again i heard it on TSN saturday night.
midwestlion
Starter

I gotcha.
Glattfan6
prospect

i dont blame him, look what he did when he was getting the ball last year. soon its goin to be Simon screamin at JJ if hes not goin to be passing our MVP of 06, he as what 6 receptions so far this year. and if anything in all those receptions. he might have a 100 yards??? when last year he was avg 100= per game???