Lions extend Lulay through 2015

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

According to LU, the Lions have signed Travis Lulay to an extension through 2015 that will make him the league's highest-paid player at more than $450,000 a year. Needless to say, Lulay is happy. The official announcement is scheduled for 9 a.m. Thursday.

Province article
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Awesome!
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Excellent news ! The Lions have now locked up their quarterbacks on both offence and defence. (Adam Bighill)
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

That is good news. No doubt the QB situation in Wpg will make it enticing for them to look at Mike Reilly as they need something to excite the fan base.

Mack says they want Buck but it is the injury situation that hurts that choice.

Now we know why Lulay was not in a rush to extend.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Well done, Wally.

Travis is a rare one. As a horse trader, Wally knows value.

It is perhaps, surprisingly, a bit high, considering Wally's attention to the SMS and to value in players.

Wally's track record is second to none, however, IMO, in getting value for money in contract negotiations.

Maybe Travis drove a hard bargain. Wally must see this as fair value.

In all the intangibles, Travis is as good as it gets. His performance on the field in 2011 and parts of 2012 do make him, IMO, the best QB in the league.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Great signing but I hope his salary includes some incentives clauses to top out at $450K. We've seen previously in the CFL how a high salary can cause issues with talent / depth problems because of SMS through the rest of the roster.

IE: Edmonton with R Ray before he went to Toronto and even H Burris last year in Hamilton. Obviously teams need to spend well and get the most bang for their dollar within their roster and that doesn't always happen.

Last year Toronto spent a lot to get R Ray and released many veterans but found younger less expensive players that played very well. OTOH, Hamilton did not do well in their SMS re-adjustments to their SMS after adding Burris.

Wally does have a history of managing the SMS well and finding a good mix of young /inexpensive upcoming players at the right time.

I am concerned this time around with the rest of the team and possible SMS implications.

I guess will see if there is any fallout in the ability to keep the overall roster talent and depth they want or we see some new faces replacing a few veterans.

SMS is always a difficult balancing act.

Certainly is resolves the starting QB position for many years. Almost guarantees Reilly will look elsewhere to get his chance.
JohnHenry
Champion

Great news for Lulay and the Lions! :rockin: He signed for "in excess of $450,000 per season" making him the highest paid player in the CFL. That's more than $1,350,000 over 3 years...perhaps not quite the ridiculed $2 million over 4 years prediction on Lionbackers. This means Travis has pretty much given up his NFL aspirations and will remain a Lions (for at least the next 3 seasons.) :thup:
Blitz
Team Captain

At over $450,000 per season, Leo fans will have high expectations, as he has always had for himself, in terms of his performance. I expected something in the $375,000 to $400,000 range. Its a high SMS hit that has impact. The good news is that the quarterback position is locked up with a player who has a very strong work ethic and is a guy that our offensive players like to play for.

I can't see our Leos paying Geroy anywhere near what he has been paid in the past, after signing Lulay to this contract.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
South Pender
Legend

I have to echo Blue in BC on this. "In excess of $450K" per season seems too rich even for a good CFL quarterback and will place some serious limits on what can be paid to retain our other stars. IIRC, Ray was getting $400K in Edmonton (and I don't know what he got last year in TO), and this was after many years of top performance. I think Lulay is a very good quarterback (and I'm glad that QB is now settled for the Lions for the future), but would have been happier to see the salary at something like $350K.
274always
All Star

Way to go Travis. Happy for ya.
Grey Cup 103. Graduation day.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Great news for a terrific QB and person. Highest paid player in team history at $450,000 ? Not sure if Flutie or Dunigan made more. Regardless, that extra $150,000 is going to have to come from somewhere in their payroll hence the discussions with Geroy to follow next.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Here's the official news release emailed to season ticketholders:
Lions sign Travis Lulay to long term deal

The BC Lions Football Club is pleased to announce that quarterback Travis Lulay has signed a long term contract extension with the team. The deal will keep Lulay in orange through the 2015 season.

“Heading into our organization’s 60th season, it gives me great comfort to be able to put the leadership of our club in the hands of Travis Lulay” said vice president of football operations and GM Wally Buono. “He is a champion, a gifted quarterback and an outstanding young man.”

Lulay comes off a 2012 campaign where he threw for 4,231 yards and 27 touchdowns on 346 completions as well as a second consecutive spot on the West Division All-Star squad; a feat accomplished just one other time in club history by the great Joe Kapp in 1963 and 1964. His back-to-back seasons of passing for 4,000+ yards has only been achieved twice previously by Damon Allen and Roy Dewalt.

The CFL’s Most Outstanding Player in 2011, Lulay has not only led the Lions to 27 wins in his 43 career starts, he has also proven to be a primary contributor in leading the Leos to consecutive seasons of increased win totals to a high of 13 last year following a Grey Cup title in 2011.

“As a head coach, you can’t ask for a better situation moving forward than having Travis Lulay under centre,” said Mike Benevides. “Long term stability and experience at the most important position on the field is paramount to our goal of winning championships.”

After just three full seasons, Lulay has already moved up to the number five position among all-time Lions passers with 11,972 yards to go along with 13 career 300-yard passing games. With a repeat of his results from last season, Travis can move as high as number three in 2013.

In 2012, Travis extended his consecutive game TD pass streak to 26 contests, giving him the second-longest such run in league history while his efficiency rating has gone from 84.9 in 2010 to a career-high of 100.7 last season, second-best among all CFL quarterbacks.

“To say I am excited about my future with the BC Lions would be an understatement,” said Lulay. “We have all the tools here to be competitive for a long time and the number one goal for me right now is doing everything I can to prepare for a championship season. Everyone in this organization, including coaches, teammates and staff as well as fans across the province have made my time here unforgettable and I know there are many more memories yet to come.”
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

We don't really know the details or wording. I read on another site that the $450K was in year 3. It's possible that he might have incentive clauses that might earn him that much in 2013 and 2014 with 1st place or Grey Cup wins etc.

I can't imagine a base salary for any QB at $450K in the SMS era.

Good for him being well paid but highest paid player in the CFL seems unrealistic IMO. If he stays healthy he could have a long career and become one of the best to have played in the CFL. However, over the next 3 seasons is he the best QB now?

Lulay ranked 3rd in yardage in 2012. Burris had 16 more TD's and a better QB rating. R Ray won the Grey Cup and we'd be hard pressed to have said that Toronto was a better team in 2012 than the Lions. While Toronto ultimately deserved to win GC 2012, they got there because of R Ray and won largely because of R Ray.

Expectations will be very high and anything less than a 1st place finish will be disappointing. I'm anxious to see what Lulay can do in his 3rd year as a starter.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote: I can't see our Leos paying Geroy anywhere near what he has been paid in the past, after signing Lulay to this contract.
Heard the Lions offered him 1/2 of what he made last season.
South Pender
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
Blitz wrote: I can't see our Leos paying Geroy anywhere near what he has been paid in the past, after signing Lulay to this contract.
Heard the Lions offered him 1/2 of what he made last season.
Even that much of a reduction in Geroy's salary won't make up for the huge increase in Travis's. I hope that, when we hear the details, it will turn out that the $450K figure is for the 3rd year and that the contract is loaded with incentives that might (if not attained) keep the dollars down. Of course, we do want to see Travis meet all incentives!