Reilly or McPherson: Best Candidate for Starting QB?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

News1130 Sports @News1130Sports

#Lions backup qb Mike Reilly has told gm Wally Buono he will test the free agent waters on Feb 15th 2013.

Reilly is an unrestricted free agent and he told Buono he's looking for a better opportunity to play.

Reilly also says if he doesn't get what he's looking for on the market - he will call Buono and try and re-sign with Leos.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Best wishes, Mike.

You just might be a good one as a starter. Dunno yet, but you've earned a shot IMO.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

As much as I'd like to see him stay he'd be crazy not to test the FA waters.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Childress
Rookie

I suspect he'll wind up in Edmonton. They really, really need to get younger at that position.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

jcalhoun wrote:Hey all,

Might this be the best signal we've had that Lulay intends to re-sign here long term? Surely if Lulay were going to test the NFL waters, Reilly would stick it out for one more season here....

Childress --I think you're probably right about him heading to Edmonton. There might be a spot for him in Winnipeg too.

Cheers,

James
Could be a seller's market. Edmonton would have interest. Winnipeg should have just as much interest.. Montreal could well be in the marktet if AC decides to pack it in, Not sure if this is any indication of Lulay's future plans. He can't test NFL waters for another year yet.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

jcalhoun wrote:Hey all,

Might this be the best signal we've had that Lulay intends to re-sign here long term? Surely if Lulay were going to test the NFL waters, Reilly would stick it out for one more season here....

Childress --I think you're probably right about him heading to Edmonton. There might be a spot for him in Winnipeg too.

Cheers,

James
Lulay said in an interview yesteday he's receptive to signing a new contract with the Lions
David
Team Captain

I predict a bidding war between Edm and Wpg for Reilly's services.

He's a good QB, but someone's going to overpay.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

That appears to be the two teams that are in need of a quarterback upgrade
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

David wrote:I predict a bidding war between Edm and Wpg for Reilly's services.

He's a good QB, but someone's going to overpay.

DH :cool:
I predict he's not nearly as good as Lions fans think he is. At least not yet. He's not going to be a starter any time soon and he's not going to be overpaid to sign as a TC QB.

His best chance to play more is in BC where he's already familar with the system and is a solid # 2.

Nichols looked pretty good in Edmonton. Elliott has shown some talent in Winnipeg.

I doubt either team is going to sign another QB in free agency for starters money.
JohnHenry
Champion

I'd say Mtl should be a front-runner, especially if Cavillo retires.

Then there's Hamilton (who gave free agent Q. Porter only one passing attempt this season) who could be in the market for a QB to challenge 38-yr-old Burris.

In Wpg, they're apparently going to keep Buck but perhaps the Bombers should go with a 2-QB system with each QB playing one half? :cr:

In Edm, signing Reilly would pull the rug from under Nichols, who they want to give a shot. They might view Jyles (who has a starter's contract) as comparable to Reilly.

The Lions reportedly paid Buck a $200k salary as the backup to Dickenson @ $400k one season (along with Geroy at close to $200k). So it might be possible to keep both QB's, but I'm sure Reilly would rather go to a team where he has a legitimate shot at starting.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

You know Wpg won't pay top dollar. But I am not sure they see Elliot as the future either. As much as I like Buck and believe if healthy he is the Bombers best bet to win even I am wondering how he can continue with so many injuries. I have just plain never understood how a team like the Bombers who say that same thing wouldn't do whatever it took to protect their QB. Only one game did i see them keep their back for the dump off short tosses for Buck. Hits coming from open clear shots there in that team make me wonder why anyone would want to QB there. AC would be done playing in that offense as he'd not last a game in Wpg the way they fail to protect their QBs. If I were Reilly I'd think twice about Wpg just for the plain simple reason they don't and won't protect the QB at all costs.

Years back I think it was Dieter Brock (not sure) who demanded for a re-sign an upgrade on the O line or he was gone.

But AC has to make a quick decision if it is no as I can't see their backup replacing that guy effectively as he has very limited experience. For as much as I think Trestman is a great coach he has done little to prepare for no AC. Like others say he made a decision to win or lose riding AC and even times when he might have sat AC he didn't.

Edmtn has no GM not sure how that plays out as that entire dumping of the Ray salary was to ensure they would not lose these guys that are now very close to free agency and then have to start a rebuild all over again. I think they need to get a GM first and go from there. They need to decide on Jyles and Joseph first then go from there. Not sure Kavis Reed would see Reilly as some of saviour as he didn't see that in Nichols this year.

If AC were to retire and Popp were to grab Reilly (but he won't overpay either - not their style) and it was clear the job was wide open with their backups that might be a decent spot for him to be in as he'd have a good team and good coach.

It is by no means going to be easy for Reilly as this year in all honesty he's had limited time to show and the Calgary game the Lions lost wasn't brilliant. The most he has going for him now is he's done some good plays to get the Lions first downs.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

If Reilly is smart he will not worry about $ on the short term, but go to a team where he can compete for a starters job now or in the near future. Edm, Ham, Montreal are possible. I think Adrian McPherson is a FA also.
dtrain
Starter

I think we can rest assured that Lulay is staying put in BC, if he's stated that he'll sign an extension, that would take him into his 30's, too late to go south.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

How good can Reilly be?

Dunno ...

But all one can say is he has shown poise, courage, intelligence, competitiveness, mobility, a strong arm, and a funky motion. :wink:

I like his slingshot motion. Calvillo has a sling shot motion, and one might suggest he has done OK.

Comes a time when you have to put the guy on the field and see how he does. I would say Reilly is at that stage.

It is rare that a guy pops out of the cereal box and shoots lights out right away. That is what happened with Ricky Ray, and some of those Edmonton non fans are kind of going, Yeah I guess he was OK. But Gheez he had no emotion. Oh yeah, it was there, but under control. They probably think, Gee if he had spiked it like that when he was here, I would have liked him then. :wink:

If Lulay wasn't here, in regard to Reilly, I would be very keen to see what he can do over an extended period of time. I mean to say, is there actually anything observers don't like about him? If so, I would just say, Tough Audience.

The game has to slow down, and that is not an easy, automatic thing.