Jerome Messam...

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

And one would then be asking why?

At a guess, he is probably unhappy being back in the CFL or at the very least with how he has been integrated back into the Edmonton fold. They are also top heavy with running backs. Apparently there was some rumour a week or so back about him subbing himself in for plays on his own. Could that be a sign of the character issue coming back again? The Esks looking more and more 3 strooge like as the season goes on. Sign Boyd, then have him on the bench. Get Messam back, then try to trade him? Loses pilling up, ET spinning, QB's not living up to hype. Not happy times in Edmonton. Montreal seems to be doing just fine without Whitacker. Can't see them being interested in an injured, possible attitudinal player when they are doing well. Best chance may be Toronto but I don't see another trade with them going over well. Better get the second coming in return or Tillman will get crucified.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
JohnHenry
Champion

Messam is just a bad apple right down to the core. He did nothing since he came back from the NFL and seems out of shape with his mind somewhere else. You just can't win with guys like that. I hope the Als pick him up and feed him the ball on every down against us.
Lions Fan in SK
prospect

I was wondering when I saw him on Saturday. He wasn't on the sidelines when TSN focussed on him and not wearing any Eskimo gear. Normally, a member of the team would be at least sporting a team shirt and hat or something.
Rammer
Team Captain

As we generally said, Messam is a solid player when things are going well, but the true measure for him is when things are not going so well. Being behind like he was in the Hamilton game, you have to think that he showed his 'me attitude' by going in on his own accord. It will be interesting to see if he handles this weeks practice given the benching he took for the Lions game.
Entertainment value = an all time low
ziggy
Legend

I'm glad we didn't keep him, even though he had his supporters on here.
South Pender
Legend

It's just a damn shame when you see a player with real potential miss his opportunity for a stellar football career because of character issues. (I sure hope we aren't seeing this with Khalif Mitchell.) Messam, with his head right, could be a game-changing running back; we saw glimpses of this last year. But we all remember his locker-room nonsense with the Lions (like breaking Paris Jackson's jaw), and he pretty much had to go. It must have really frustrated Wally Buono last year to have to make that decision, but it was the right one. We've seen what really disruptive players can do to a team. In the end, it's better to let them go than to sustain a cancer in the locker-room just to keep them on the team.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Blitz had mentioned this a few days ago. Other than that I had heard nothing.

It is strange, but not really surprising.

Subbing himself into the game? Bizarre.

Not in shape? Was he injured?

After a few episodes, the picture one gets is not what you want on a team.

Fight in a bar ... Forgiven.

Fight with Paris Jackson ... Forgiven.

Girl in the room, not listening to team Elders ... Last straw, shipped out.

Rescued by Edmonton ... Off to the NFL, thank you very much.

Now it seems out of chances in Edmonton.

I would be surprised if any team offers anything.

Foolish, selfish guy ...
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Another Josh Boden in the making ?
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Another Josh Boden in the making ?
I doubt it, Josh has very deep seeded issues that he will likely never be able to mask, regardless of his life going positive.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

I wonder if this was the player mentioned in a possible trade rumour to the Lions last week. Perhaps Messam does need to get his head on straight but he does have talent and being a NI is an important aspect.

I was suprised he was a healthy scratch this weekend so it does make me wonder what is up with that.
Rammer
Team Captain

Blue In BC wrote:I wonder if this was the player mentioned in a possible trade rumour to the Lions last week. Perhaps Messam does need to get his head on straight but he does have talent and being a NI is an important aspect.

I was suprised he was a healthy scratch this weekend so it does make me wonder what is up with that.
I highly doubt that Messam will see a return to BC BiBC, the core leaders voted him off the island, he still draws the ire of those players when they face him in green and gold.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:It's just a damn shame when you see a player with real potential miss his opportunity for a stellar football career because of character issues. (I sure hope we aren't seeing this with Khalif Mitchell.) Messam, with his head right, could be a game-changing running back; we saw glimpses of this last year. But we all remember his locker-room nonsense with the Lions (like breaking Paris Jackson's jaw), and he pretty much had to go. It must have really frustrated Wally Buono last year to have to make that decision, but it was the right one. We've seen what really disruptive players can do to a team. In the end, it's better to let them go than to sustain a cancer in the locker-room just to keep them on the team.
That was my point just now in the other thread. If a HC doesn't nip this stuff it becomes a pattern of behaviour that eventually is disastrous for a team and the player.

Kavis Reed did say that Messam subbed himself into the game and that led to 13 man flags - not sure if it was more than once. He said it was a mess on the sidelines with the 3 backs. Saw that game and yes it was as even TSN was getting confused. Pro coaches are probably not as experienced in multiple subbing as minor football coaches have to be as pro subs are usually very situational and involve just a few players.

I think Messam had an awesome year last year but as a body of work it was just ONE season. That is not to diss the guy or his achievements where were awesome and nice to watch but to put it into context - one season does not put you into the H of Fame. He left for the NFL with similar dubious reasoning that many others have used before him. He assumed he'd be at his same pace when he came back as did the Eskimos. But it seems he is not with the flow of things and was not lighting it up. Hugh Charles is like Avon Cobourne it seems - he just hangs in and does his job and let the things they can't control not muddy their thinking
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Normally I would figure Messam not playing means an injury or he messed up. But Esks GM, HC, Consultant seem to be pretty much messed up themselves. Not quite the train wreck that is the Bombers but mostly because of a strong Esks D.
Blitz
Team Captain

It wasn't that Montreal was completely disinterested but Edmonton wanted too much for Messam plus Messam is not the style of back that is a good fit for the Montreal style of offence.

I don't feel the same animosity towards Messam as some do here..but I also know that he is no choirboy.

I think its mostly because I felt very frustrated, when we had Harris, Messam, and Lee mostly sitting on the sidelines when they were all here and believed we should be playing them. I feel the most regret about Jamal Lee, who was a Canadian 220 pound back with 4.4 speed and we basically never gave him an opportunity. I am so thankful that our starting import tailback last year got nicked while we were on our losing streak, which provided the shot for Andrew Harris and he made the most of it.

Messam is typical for a player taking a shot at the NFl and coming up short and then coming back to the CFL and having trouble with the adjustment. Messam is not the type of person that would make one want to be a fan of his..but at the same time he is a power back who can help an offence, especially being a Canadian. He would be best in a backfield with another Canadian back who was more of a speed back.

Not sure what will happen to Messam, in terms of his future..I have a feeling that it won't be a long career, but could be proven wrong.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)