Why does Swaggerville frustrate some fans/teams?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

It seems like its becoming one of the weekly talking points of the Bomber game of the week. Whassup with Swaggerville?

Brent Johnson apparently made some 'comments'. I heard BJ on his weekly Connected slot, and it didn't sound to me is was putting it down.

This week its Dave Stalla and Ian Logan trading barbs.

One Riderfan described their matchup as Swaggerville versus Staggerville :wink:

IMO, all this stuff is just that stuff. It doesn't matter. IIRC, there was a year in the late eighties (1986-1989) when the Eskimos were on this big kick where all the players had these personalized hand towels hanging off of their uniforms. Ha-ha, look at us. Well their season ended quite badly, in a home Western final that year. Wearing some personalized handtowel doesn't seem so funny when you are getting beat by a team that saved its talking for the field. If you get too much into these 'themes' you start to forget playing football. If the Bombers want 'Swaggerville' to become a big thing, I say Let them. Swaggerville is not going to win them a Grey Cup. Playing together as a well coached team may do so. If 'Swaggerville' helps that process, they'll be smart and keep it to themselves. Kinda like the Eskimo recievers wearing those Jason Tucker tshirts a few seasons back. If it unites you great, if it becomes the story....lookout, IMO. Swaggerville is going to be interesting because the smart football teams won't be saying much about it UNTIL, they knock the Bombers out of the playoffs. IIRC, the Lions secondary was suppossed to have some fancy name this year :dizzy: . A past version was Lockdown U, IIRC. This must be something that players need to do because a lot of teams try to do it. Football has had a history of fearsome type nicknames (headhunters, purplepeople eaters etc...).

On the bright side, doubt the Lions (or their fans) will have to hear much about Swaggerville even if the Bombers earn a date for the Grey Cup. I think it will become a non-story (kinda like my post here) long before then........
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I think if most teams were playing well enough to swagger and came up with the term Swaggerville their fans would be jumping on that bandwagon. Right now the Bombers are backing it up with their play so all the more power to them.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Bosco
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:I think if most teams were playing well enough to swagger and came up with the term Swaggerville their fans would be jumping on that bandwagon. Right now the Bombers are backing it up with their play so all the more power to them.
I think that a recent winning tradition would allow nicknames such as Swaggerville to be accepted by outside fans and players, but coming off a 4 - 14 season it's more of a "show me what you guys can do over the long haul" situation.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

but coming off a 4 - 14 season it's more of a "show me what you guys can do over the long haul" situation.
Sort of like a 2-6 team DB's using the term "Lockdown U" coming off back to back losing seasons :wink:
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Bosco
Team Captain

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:
but coming off a 4 - 14 season it's more of a "show me what you guys can do over the long haul" situation.
Sort of like a 2-6 team DB's using the term "Lockdown U" coming off back to back losing seasons :wink:
Very true...that's why the Lions D is smart not to have such a monicker this year.

"Lockdown" some things over a period of time first, then you can think of adopting some sort of tag.
Rammer
Team Captain

I haven't heard lockdown U this season from a DB, have you?
Entertainment value = an all time low
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
lol i think that was 2005-08 :P
2012 Season Ticket Holder
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Most of this season it has been the Flag Football Defence for the Lions.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
No, I haven't heard that this season either. But, I think I remember something about some kind of moniker in the preseason. I'll try and track it down. Wasn't anything too cocky and obviously quickly faded away due to Frank's injury and the lack of success in the win/loss column.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Rammer wrote:I haven't heard lockdown U this season from a DB, have you?
Yeah, I've heard Phillips says it on TSN a couple times....in between him griping about not being in the Top 50 players when the cam is on him.....made my head shake.

Swaggerville is just a moniker too, it's not like they call themselves "bestintheworldville" like Hambone alludes to comparing the "City of Champions" to it. That D plays with a lot of attitude. They get sacks, tackle hard, cover well, get interceptions, force turnovers. They back up their "swagger" with their play on the field. Why not have some fun with it? It's defence that wins championships isn't it?

I guarantee if the Lions had a defence like that...you know, one that could actually backup what they chirp about all game, we would all be loving it.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
ziggy
Legend

Heck, let them enjoy it as long as they can back it up. So long as they understand that if they expect fans to take their boasting in good humour, they will also be expected to take in good humour, the payback from those same fans should they falter.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Bosco wrote:
Hambone wrote:I think if most teams were playing well enough to swagger and came up with the term Swaggerville their fans would be jumping on that bandwagon. Right now the Bombers are backing it up with their play so all the more power to them.
I think that a recent winning tradition would allow nicknames such as Swaggerville to be accepted by outside fans and players, but coming off a 4 - 14 season it's more of a "show me what you guys can do over the long haul" situation.
Maybe, but the past is the past and right now the Bombers are 6 - 1 with 4 straight victories and the smallest of margins to the Stamps.
Last edited by Blue In BC on Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

notahomer wrote:No, I haven't heard that this season either. But, I think I remember something about some kind of moniker in the preseason. I'll try and track it down. Wasn't anything too cocky and obviously quickly faded away due to Frank's injury and the lack of success in the win/loss column.
They called themselves...."The Fab Five"

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Backs ... story.html
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

So long as they can take the jeering when they do stumble, then let them enjoy it while they are carrying the freight.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.