Lions Needed Change from Buck Pierce

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Wally Buono: B.C. Lions needed change from Buck Pierce

VANCOUVER -- There is no one in Canadian football who can better understand the roller-coaster ride Winnipeg Blue Bombers fans and their starting quarterback, Buck Pierce, have been on the past two seasons than B.C. Lions boss Wally Buono.

Pierce spent five tumultuous seasons between 2005-09 here in a Lions uniform doing precisely for Buono what he has done for Winnipeg. Which is to say that when he was healthy in B.C., Pierce was brilliant - boasting, for instance, the second-highest QB efficiency rating in the CFL in 2006. But the brilliance was always tempered in B.C., just as in Winnipeg, by a seemingly endless string of injuries. In 2007 alone, Pierce was felled by injuries to his ribs, foot, hand and shoulder. More shoulder injuries would follow in the ensuing seasons, and then finally the concussions started.

Each injury seemed unrelated to the last yet there was no ignoring what seemed to be a larger pattern. Pierce had come to be regarded in B.C. as a quarterback who was high-risk, high-reward and Buono was simply no longer willing to take the risk, releasing Pierce following the 2009 season and ushering in what has been an equally tumultuous Pierce-era in Winnipeg.

There have been deep and dark valleys for Pierce in Winnipeg too, of course - most notably a dislocated elbow last September that ended his 2010 season. But as Pierce makes his first return to B.C. on Saturday as the Bombers quarterback, he does so at the very top of his game and at the helm of the hottest team in the CFL.
t has been a very different story for the Lions this summer. Mired in a 1-5 start, there have been some tough questions being asked of Buono - and the winningest coach in the CFL has struggled for answers.
But there is one answer Buono didn't struggle with when he met with reporters during his pre-game news conference here Friday.

"I have no regrets about letting Buck go," Buono said.

And then he explained why, describing a situation that had become untenable for both Pierce and the Lions as the dominant storyline in Vancouver in Pierce's final season became all the injuries to the quarterback. "That becomes a difficult mantra to deal with," said Buono. "So when Buck was hurt - and it seemed to be too often - you had to try and stabilize the organization and the perception of the organization. And so by releasing him, it gave him a fresh start ... And even though the dirty laundry comes with you, it's not quite as dirty, right? ...

"Buck's a good man, see? It had nothing to do with Buck as a quarterback or a person. And I think Buck knows that."He does, with Pierce saying nothing but complimentary things earlier this week about Buono. The problem, as Buono describes it, is not that Pierce doesn't try hard enough, but rather that he may actually try too hard."He's going to play hard for you and at times I think he puts himself in jeopardy physically to play. You know when you say (players) put their life on the line for the team? Well Buck does that - to a fault almost, right?"

And the result, as Buono sees it, created an environment of uncertainty - one Winnipeg football fans know well - that Buono simply was no longer willing to accept. "There's always an uncertainty," said Buono. "It just causes too much stress on your team. It's like, 'Now he can't run, now he can't do this, now why aren't you protecting him?' Everything is accentuated. Everything."

It's a script Bomber fans have known well. But even as the injuries have continued to pile up on Pierce this season - he's left games early twice with injuries already in 2011 - the wins have also continued to pile up, making it easier for fans to overlook all the ongoing drama.For all the baggage, Buono says he remains a fan of Pierce and was cheering right alongside Bomber fans last week as Pierce ran for a 48-yard touchdown."A player that helped you win - there's always a respect. Was I happy to see Buck take off and run for (48) yards? (Yes), for two reasons. One - because he beat the Eskimos. And two - because you like to see those guys have success. "Not against you, though."

Winnipeg Free Press

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Interesting article! However, I always felt that we played Buck Pierce injured too often and that added to Buck's injury woes.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Buono wrote: "I have no regrets about letting Buck go," Buono said.
Well you'll have some regrets after tonight ************ (Edited for inappropriate language - Mod Staff)
Buono wrote:"That becomes a difficult mantra to deal with," said Buono.
What the **** (Edited by Mod Staff) does Buono know about mantras…is he some kind of Guru all of a sudden???
Buono wrote:"Buck's a good man, see? It had nothing to do with Buck as a quarterback or a person. And I think Buck knows that."He does, with Pierce saying nothing but complimentary things earlier this week about Buono. The problem, as Buono describes it, is not that Pierce doesn't try hard enough, but rather that he may actually try too hard."He's going to play hard for you and at times I think he puts himself in jeopardy physically to play. You know when you say (players) put their life on the line for the team? Well Buck does that - to a fault almost, right?"
Buono deserves a generous can of woopass humility delivered at the hands of one Buck Pierce tonight and I think you'll see it! :wag:
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

"That becomes a difficult mantra to deal with," said Buono. "So when Buck was hurt - and it seemed to be too often - you had to try and stabilize the organization and the perception of the organization. And so by releasing him, it gave him a fresh start ... And even though the dirty laundry comes with you, it's not quite as dirty, right? ...

"Buck's a good man, see? It had nothing to do with Buck as a quarterback or a person. And I think Buck knows that."He does, with Pierce saying nothing but complimentary things earlier this week about Buono. The problem, as Buono describes it, is not that Pierce doesn't try hard enough, but rather that he may actually try too hard."He's going to play hard for you and at times I think he puts himself in jeopardy physically to play. You know when you say (players) put their life on the line for the team? Well Buck does that - to a fault almost, right?"

And the result, as Buono sees it, created an environment of uncertainty - one Winnipeg football fans know well - that Buono simply was no longer willing to accept. "There's always an uncertainty," said Buono. "It just causes too much stress on your team. It's like, 'Now he can't run, now he can't do this, now why aren't you protecting him?' Everything is accentuated. Everything."

--------------

I have no issues with the Lions decision on Buck as Wally points out. Interesting he says how Buck's frequent injuries "becomes a difficult mantra to deal with," yet when it comes to fans screaming about the offense being stale he sits reporters down and points out player errors and denies for the rest of a season the issues! It was right too that the Lions shifted to Dickinson from Damon Allen who was a great QB but was emblematic of the failing regime and gate (he was not the issue) so it was a good move. I hated for Buck to leave but now have become a Bombers fan watching their games and the Lions.

I admire Buck and too was cheering that 48 yard - actually it was longer as he was nearly caught for a big loss well back of the line of scrimmage - but agreed with the announcers that everyone holds their breath when Buck runs. That run was the one that lit the fire under the entire Bombers team both offense and defense as they all of sudden came on fire for the rest of the game. Baresi his OC now has a number of quotes in the paper about how they work to get Buck take less chances and even his team mates say he takes too much risk on. No question he does. I still would like to see Buck take far less hits which I think is possible for him to do and still be an o/s QB in this league. AC at his age would be done for good if he took half the hits Buck took - yet no one would knock AC.

Not sure the story of 5 "tumultuous" seasons is a fair description.

Yes, the Lions likely didn't help Buck by playing him hurt too often but his elbow injury was just that - a one off freak. Hey he hit the exercise bike in the back before the 48 yard run and didn't miss a play.

As someone said the entire province of Manitoba holds their collective breath every time Buck takes off with the ball - as does half of Northern California.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Rammer
Team Captain

I have no problem with the release of Buck Pierce when it happened, he had got a great contract that forced the Lions hands with the amount of games he was missing, mainly due to his never say die play. That said, I am also pleased with seeing Buck succeed, but even this game, there were a couple of plays that I was worried for BP after the tackle.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Wally could not get Buck to slide. Therefore Buck had to go.

The Bombers have got Buck sliding sometimes. :thup:

Nice game, Buck.

Bit of a message to Wally? Hey, Wally, I played the whole game. Whooo Hooooooooo

The whole game, Wally. Whoooo Hooooooooo
btemp
prospect

I am, and was, happy to see Buck go.

While I have nothing against Buck personally, I cannot state strongly enough how much he is a stupid and selfish player. While he finished this game, he has missed far to many over his career. I mean, how many has he missed the last couple of years? While many people like to talk about his "courage", Pierce is really putting himself before the team when he refuses to hookslide or doesn't come out of the game when the Bombers have clearly won. Pierce getting injured costs his team games, as the Lions and Bombers have seen, and his refusal to play smart is a slap in the face to his teammates, coaches, and fans.

Just wait to Pierce goes head first in the playoffs and the Bombers lose.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

btemp wrote:I am, and was, happy to see Buck go.

While I have nothing against Buck personally, I cannot state strongly enough how much he is a stupid and selfish player. While he finished this game, he has missed far to many over his career. I mean, how many has he missed the last couple of years? While many people like to talk about his "courage", Pierce is really putting himself before the team when he refuses to hookslide or doesn't come out of the game when the Bombers have clearly won. Pierce getting injured costs his team games, as the Lions and Bombers have seen, and his refusal to play smart is a slap in the face to his teammates, coaches, and fans.

If his coach felt that he'd be sitting.

Buck was like 69% passing at the end of the 3 rd Q. Not one Bomber fan thinks like this nor do Lion fans.
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

[quote="Toppy Vann"]"btemp" wrote: I am, and was, happy to see Buck go.

If his coach felt that he'd be sitting.

Buck was like 69% passing at the end of the 3 rd Q. Not one Bomber fan thinks like this nor do Lion fans.[/quote]

I do. Buck in Bc stunk. Too many shirt passes and too many injuries. He won't finish the year. That's a guarantee.
mightybuck
Legend

I cannot state strongly enough how much he is a stupid and selfish player
what a stupid post ...
"The most competitive men love the most competitive game" Vince Lombardi

A true friend is someone who walks in when everyone else is walking out
Spud387
Champion

Well that's your opinion, i greatly disagree and flat out believe you're wrong. That's my opinion. I think Buck is a good QB, but I agree with teh decision to release him as he just couldn't stay healthy with us
Rammer
Team Captain

Spud387 wrote:

Well that's your opinion, i greatly disagree and flat out believe you're wrong. That's my opinion. I think Buck is a good QB, but I agree with teh decision to release him as he just couldn't stay healthy with us
Now is Buck's health a OC/OLC problem? Seems to me that the Lions have seem more injured QB's than the combination of several CFL clubs since the Grey Cup win.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Spud387
Champion

Rammer wrote:
Spud387 wrote:

Now is Buck's health a OC/OLC problem? Seems to me that the Lions have seem more injured QB's than the combination of several CFL clubs since the Grey Cup win.
I always figured it was partly us injuring the QBs, but that is also why I agreed that Buck had to go. We would have killed him
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I was sitting behind the Bomber bench at the game. You can clearly see that Buck is a leader on that team; he is encouraging and thanking his lineman for a job well done.
David
Team Captain

The Phillips interception sure felt good (on a night of disasters). Keeping him in the game and throwing deep. What were they trying to prove?

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

David wrote:The Phillips interception sure felt good (on a night of disasters). Keeping him in the game and throwing deep. What were they trying to prove?

DH :cool:

I think Barresi was probably trying to get LaPolice to sit Buck but LaPo did for Buck what Trestman did for AC - let him play it out on a big night for the player with his family likely in the stands and many friends watching.

I kind of think it was an INT that came because Buck knew if he took a big hit there his coach and he would be criticized for him staying out there. It was not going to turn the W to a Loss though. It didn't matter at that point.

It made Wally though eat the words in that story and no doubt gave Buck and his team some decent motivation.

While the Lions did a good thing for Buck to get him a fresh start make no mistake Buck did lot of very good things for the Lions including play hurt a lot as others noted. Wakes and btemp in their blind negativity forget one thing here. Bombers with Pierce at QB 6 and 1. Lions 1 and 6.

Pierce I believe is 28 Wins, 17 losses and 1 Tie if I heard the TV right. Oh I guess it should be 29 - 17 - 1.