Bombers extend Joe Smith's contract

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Bombers re-sign an uninformed Joe Smith
By KIRK PENTON, SUN MEDIA

Last Updated: 23rd May 2009, 2:40am

WINNIPEG -- If Joe Smith puts as much effort into his job as he does into getting away from it all in the off-season, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers will get a solid return on their investment.

The 29-year-old running back, who this week signed a contract extension for two years and an option, was at his eccentric best yesterday when asked about the off-season moves made by the team that traded for him last September.

The six-foot-two, 224-lb. bruiser knew the Blue and Gold had made a coaching change, but the identity of new boss Mike Kelly was news to him.

"Kelly ... now which coach is that? Is that the head coach?" Smith asked. "I should know this. I'm going to write this down right now. Mike. Kelly."

Smith, the former B.C. Lion who had 381 yards and two touchdowns on 69 carries for the Bombers after being acquired for Charles Roberts, was also unaware that Kevin Glenn is no longer his team's starting quarterback.

"After the season I just like to get away and do my own thing and enjoy the time I have off," he said. "I don't know who we signed or who didn't sign back or who got traded or who they brought in from other teams. I'll see what happened when I get there."

Smith, the CFL's leading rusher in 2007, had two years remaining on the contract he brought with him from B.C., but it was paying him approximately $150,000 per season. Considering he will split time in the Bomber backfield with fellow tailback Fred Reid, he no doubt took a pay cut to make his salary more cap-friendly.

"That's what we're trying to do with everybody, make everything more cap-friendly and tie down some of these guys for an extended period," Kelly said from Philadelphia. "We don't want to get caught like we did, with having quality players all be up for free agency at the same time."
A bit of a surprise. Thought he might be on the way out in the Peg. Thought he had slipped to backup status. I wonder if he gave the Bombers his cell phone number in the off-season while he was in Sri Lanka or wherever.
pointguard2376
prospect

I always loved Joe Smith, he was great!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

"Kelly ... now which coach is that? Is that the head coach?" Smith asked. "I should know this. I'm going to write this down right now. Mike. Kelly."

Smith, the former B.C. Lion who had 381 yards and two touchdowns on 69 carries for the Bombers after being acquired for Charles Roberts, was also unaware that Kevin Glenn is no longer his team's starting quarterback.

"After the season I just like to get away and do my own thing and enjoy the time I have off," he said. "I don't know who we signed or who didn't sign back or who got traded or who they brought in from other teams. I'll see what happened when I get there."
Too funny.

Count me amongst those that miss Joe Smith. We will never see his like again. One of a kind. Pop Can Joe. Distant Places Joe. Easy Going Joe. Friendly with fans Joe. Popular with his teammates Joe.

He shows his passion for the game when he runs the ball in an open mine-field of hostile tacklers. He shows his passion for the game when he flies home to Texas, and drives for hours, for a family crisis and Red-Eyes it back just in time for a game. Heroic Joe.

And then there is the way he runs the ball. Hits the line fast and hard. Runs well in the open field. Catches the ball well out of the backfield.

All in all, a great character for the CFL. I look forward to seeing him when the Bombers play at B.C. Place. :beer: