Lions release Otis Floyd

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

From today's Province:
Buono rolling the dice with roster moves

by Lowell Ullrich

There was no player anywhere within earshot outside his office when Wally Buono explained his reasoning again Thursday behind the decision by the Lions to cut slotback Jason Clermont.

Anyone who heard had likely taken cover, and they may be wise not to surface for some time for fear they be next.

The release of Clermont and tailback Charles Roberts came only after the Lions had severed ties with veteran linebacker Otis Floyd, The Province learned Thursday, as Buono’s restoration project continued in relentless fashion.

The 32-year-old was hoping to play out the final year of his deal with B.C. but instead learned of his fate in a meeting with Buono earlier this week.

The coach and general manager of the CFL team again tried to suggest that the release of the trio, which will now put their 2009 payroll savings close to the $500,000 mark, was based primarily on performance.

Message not received. That was the sense from a small sampling of players contacted in the wake of the moves, and it was telling that none of them wanted to speak on the topic for attribution, especially on Clermont.

“I always thought that having an ‘N’ [for non-import] beside your name means you were untouchable,” said one Lions’ starter. “Jason was a fairhaired golden boy.”

Not any more. And if a player who still was still obligated to the Lions for another two seasons can be released with nothing in return, there’s no telling what lies ahead.

Buono acknowledged the cuts would free up salary to deal with the five free agents and 18 others heading into their option year (see chart), some of whom have nervously made inquiries in the last week about their future.

He also said, however, that the departure of two former all-stars will not mean a windfall for those left behind. What now? Chances are some retooling will centre around these key areas:

• AGE BEFORE BEAUTY? Not with the Lions. Buono has cut at least one veteran almost every winter in an effort not to grow old quickly, with quarterback Dave Dickenson being the best example last year before Clermont.

The next target this year could be 36year-old defensive tackle Tyrone Williams. “There’s a proper place and time for that discussion,” Buono said. However, safety Barron Miles, also 36, may be spared. “That would not be the highest priority,” Buono said.

• LINE UP THE LINEBACKERS B.C. could make gains in this year’s free-agent market.
But, with no guarantee of success, it may be some time before they gauge their interest in pending Lions free agent Jamall Johnson. Jamall Johnson.
“You might have to sit down with people and see what comfort there is in their role,” Buono said.
Currently, seven CFL linebackers are eligible for free agency, including all three starters with the Saskatchewan Roughriders.
But, with no guarantee of success, it may be some time before they gauge their interest in pending Lions free agent Jamall Johnson.
“You might have to sit down with people and see what comfort there is in their role,” Buono said.

• CAN RICKY PLAY? The Lions have to prepare for life without defensive end Cameron Wake, who can sign an NFL contract at the end of the month, and decide whether third-year Canadian Ricky Foley is a natural replacement.
B.C. needs two non-import defensive starters to maintain the ratio, but may not have an answer on Foley until the end of training camp, Buono said.

Much more about the direction of the Lions will be determined long before next spring, however.
Buono tried hard to sound convincing when stating that giving away a three-time award winner like Clermont should not be seen as a sign no job is safe. It may or may not have worked.
“Positive anxiety is very useful at times,” he said. “You have to create a positive environment during the season. During the off-season you do your dirty work.”
Otis' release was widely speculated. #35 gave the Lions 4 solid seasons and was it his best during the ’06 cup run.
But Wally has definitely rocked the foundation of this veteran team with these moves.
Tighthead
Legend

Floyd is no longer at his peak, but I don't think he was the biggest problem at LB, let alone on our defence.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I'd love to see Anton McKenzie Floyd's position this year.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I've felt through most of the season that at least two of Floyd, Williams and Miles would not be back due to the combination of age and contracts. So this is absolutely no surprise to me.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:I've felt through most of the season that at least two of Floyd, Williams and Miles would not be back due to the combination of age and contracts. So this is absolutely no surprise to me.
Bet on Williams to be next
Rammer
Team Captain

Lion Guy wrote:
Hambone wrote:I've felt through most of the season that at least two of Floyd, Williams and Miles would not be back due to the combination of age and contracts. So this is absolutely no surprise to me.
I would suggest that the potential of Williams being released is less likely now that he hasn't been already. If Wally was going to outright cut him, he would have done so with Floyd, and we know that Clermont was a tough one on him. With Floyd being released first, Clermont was on the bubble, leaving Williams free to challenge in TC, IMO. Miles may be dependent upon his own call, he still brings an intangible that is difficult to replace.
Entertainment value = an all time low
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:
Lion Guy wrote:
I would suggest that the potential of Williams being released is less likely now that he hasn't been already. If Wally was going to outright cut him, he would have done so with Floyd, and we know that Clermont was a tough one on him. With Floyd being released first, Clermont was on the bubble, leaving Williams free to challenge in TC, IMO. Miles may be dependent upon his own call, he still brings an intangible that is difficult to replace.
Not sure Rammer ...

Wally's comment on Williams was
“There’s a proper place and time for that discussion,” Buono said.

That could mean a couple of things:

a) Williams and Wally hold a joint press gathering to announce his retirement together. One of the things JC said yesterday was Wally asked him how he wanted to handle being released — even asking Clermont if he was considering retiring so the Lions could give him a proper send-off.

b) As you suggest, Williams is invited to training camp to battle for his job but he would not have the window to look elsewhere if he was cut loose now.

JC did say he knew of at least a couple of other "big surprises" among player cuts and now we know Floyd was one of them. Regardless, sounds like there some were significant meetings this week and the word has been trickling down to the players.
Maybe LU or someone can track down Williams in Auburn and find out.

This group of players is paying the price for not getting done in ’07 as much as ’08 as Wally gave them the benefit of the doubt and kept them basically intact for one more season and they didn't deliver.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Wally is not a hard-driving coach during the year, leaving motivation to the professionalism of the players. But, as he says, the off-season is the time for the "dirty work." And we know Wally is willing to make the tough decisions there.

I would be surprised if Tyrone Williams is back with the Lions as a player. He does seem to me like an excellent candidate to be a coach, at some time. Is that time now?
The next target this year could be 36year-old defensive tackle Tyrone Williams. “There’s a proper place and time for that discussion,” Buono said. However, safety Barron Miles, also 36, may be spared. “That would not be the highest priority,” Buono said.
Carefully chosen words. To me, that sounds like there will be an announcement regarding Tyrone at a later time. It also sounds like Barron Miles gets a reprieve.

I would not be surprised if Wally also makes a change in the O Line, cutting loose a starter.

And farewell to Otis Floyd. Some great years with the Lions. At his peak, he was as good as it gets. :beer:
Rammer
Team Captain

I do agree that Wally's words were selected to be ambiguous without implying his direction with Williams. I believe that he leads well by example and unless the Lions find a suitable young bull, it would be a difficult position to fill. So I bet that Williams sees TC, and he has to prove himself. Perhaps they have already discussed this scenario and Wally is leaving it in Tyrone's hands similar to the condition given JC.

Major changes for the Lions, and if Williams is released, it would give Wally lots of wiggle room for signing a potential FA, even perhaps Cameron Wake.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I think the release of Floyd was the correct one. All the best to Otis; he's been a class act.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Think as objectively as you can.

Is any of this really a surprise? Did we not lament, as the playoff run ended, the end of the road for this group of veterans and the disappointment that they had collectively, more or less, won only one cup?

I do think Wally even warned us it was coming with his, "I'd replace about half my defence right now if I could," quote he made at some point during last season.

The real problem, it seems, is relative inaction on the real elephant in the room.
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

anyone think that one of those surprises could be jarious? I love the guy but he and wally didnt seem to see eye to eye throughout this season.....hell, if they released ty then they should offer him the head of security....think anyone would F around if ty was on the watch??? A couple other guys that could get their walking papers IMO, are banks and bates...but i guess we'll see.....
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I would not be surprised if Wally is giving Tyrone the same courtesy of choosing his time of announcement, probably before Christmas. I would be surprised to see Tyrone at Training Camp. If Wally thinks it is time to part ways, why bring Tyrone to Camp when his departure is a foregone conclusion.

On the O Line I would not be surprised to see Angus Reid or Rob Murphy released. Valli is close to being fully ready for starter status. And there is good non-import depth on the O Line. And Murphy did not set a good example of leadership or commitment (Stith has shown lots of ability). Not that Reid or Murphy can't play. Just that more cuts would seem to be in order to shake things up.

Following up wakes' comment above, I also would not be surprised if there is some turnover at the QB position. Again, not that the guys can't play, but Wally likes to shake things up when there is not enough success. Jarious is older and has not developed as much as one might have hoped with all his apparent potential.

One of the DBs might be sacrificed, perhaps Banks or Glover.

Jamall Johnson might be on the bubble. Great potential. Has he improved enough to satisfy Wally? Javy Glatt might be moved to OLB, or to backup status.

Clarence Coleman and Rufus Skillern would be on the bubble.

IMO Paul McCallum ain't goin' anywhere. Nor should he. Still very reliable.

I would be surprised if Barron Miles survives the purge. Except his value is mostly his brain. Can he still cover enough ground at safety to be effective?
Tighthead
Legend

Wakesbetterthanyou wrote:anyone think that one of those surprises could be jarious? I love the guy but he and wally didnt seem to see eye to eye throughout this season.....hell, if they released ty then they should offer him the head of security....think anyone would F around if ty was on the watch??? A couple other guys that could get their walking papers IMO, are banks and bates...but i guess we'll see.....
I'd dump Reid before Bates. Wasn't Valli a C in college? It is pretty much up or out time for him.

Banks is more likely to go than Miles, although Miles would be my choice.

If we do lose Wake, then we may need another interior pass rusher to help offset his loss, making Williams redundant as they say in the public service.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Other potential Lions that may be given their walking papers include Tyrone Williams, Cory Banks, Barron Miles on defence. It wouldn't shock me if Geroy was released.