Leos/Eskimos Exhibition Post-Game Thoughts!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Well, Wally didn't get the 'W", the offense looked awful, and the score was a lot closer for our Leos than it should have been. Edmonton dominated the game.

Jarious Jackson was the best quarterback in training camp and after this game he was also the most successful Leos quarterback in the exhibition sseason as well. Dickenson struggled in this game, passing for only 78 yards (7/17) in his half, compared to Jackson's approximate 200 yards in his half of football last game. Buck looked a little better, throwing for 110 yards in his half (11/13) but was also sacked a number of times. Both Dickenson and Pearce rolled right and threw across the middle for interceptions..a big no-no! Both Dickenson and Pearce also dropped a football on shotgun snaps. At least we ran the football well at times!

Our defense wasn't any better! We gave up well over 500 yards of yardage on defense although we did pick off 3 passes. Miles was the best player out there and he was the last guy out there, along with Brent Johnson and Korey Banks, who really needed to play well.

Without the five turnovers, this game could have been a blowout! The only good thing one can take away from this game, is that our Leos know they had better get it together. Perhaps, if we had cruised through the exhibition season we might have starterd the season this way. At least now they know that there needs to be a lot of hard work, a better focus, and that last season was last season....and you can't coast on past laurels!!

No need to panic but it's time to really start getting serious!!
Last edited by Blitz on Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Maybe the new Grey Cup rings were too heavy and slowed them down.

Note to Lions: take them off next week and remember everybody will be gunning to take you down all season long.

Time to turn up the intensity and play to your capabilities.

:roar: :helmet: :roar: :helmet:
Don Miller
Legend

:bang: Unfortunately, this brings back memories for me after the 64 Cup. I think that some of our first stringers are playing on last years laurels. You know that every team is going to want to beat the Lions. We gave up over 500 yds on defense. Pass rush was not great and our db's were chasing their receivers. We don't want to start out on the wrong foot next week in Toronto. I am not convinced that our offensive coaching by committee is the best choice, we shall see. I think the wake up call has been given. DD has to play better and he will. I am sure the Lions practices this week will be high tempo.
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Joe Smith and Geroy Simon were the only bright lights on offence tonight. McCallum punted 11 times tonight. That sums the game right there.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Don Miller wrote:\ I am not convinced that our offensive coaching by committee is the best choice, we shall see. I think the wake up call has been given. DD has to play better and he will. I am sure the Lions practices this week will be high tempo.
I'm going to give it four games. That tends to be Wally's re-evaluation point.
maddeep73
Champion

The thing is we've crapped the bed like this in Edmonton before. See last year for example.

I'm not overly concerned... at this point. It is the preseason after all.

If there's anyone who can light a fire under this team it's Wally. I'd be shocked if we don't look a ton better in Toronto.
Keepin' it real
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The radio broadcast crew named Dennis Mitchell as the defensive player of the game. Statistically, he was clearly the leader with seven tackles, an interception and fumble recovery. Without seeing the game, though, I don't know whether he got those tackles because he was active on defence or because the Esks were successfully throwing against him.

With Knowlton, Washington, Mitchell and Lionell Green likely playing for two spots on the active roster (assuming Marsh comes back next week), who gets those spots?
Last edited by B.C.FAN on Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

maddeep73 wrote:The thing is we've crapped the bed like this in Edmonton before. See last year for example.

If there's anyone who can light a fire under this team it's Wally. I'd be shocked if we don't look a ton better in Toronto.
Exactly. And we play the Esks twice at home, rather than twice at CW this season. Thank God.
lion24
Legend

Solar Max wrote:
maddeep73 wrote:The thing is we've crapped the bed like this in Edmonton before. See last year for example.

Exactly. And we play the Esks twice at home, rather than twice at CW this season. Thank God.
yes, every time i have to watch them play ultra conservative in Edmonton including tonight!!! :bang: :bang: While it is only preseason the lions did have their first offensive and defensive units out there against an Eskimo team without many starters?? Dickenson looked awful and bounced a pass five yards in front of Jones at one point, and Pierce threw one up for an int right down the middle of the field! :bang: I don't know if it is complacency, which Dorazio said the coaches would not allow on the Score preview, but there was no crispness to the offence at all. One positive was the Smart/Smith running combo but other than that............nothing. I always make fun of people getting too excited or distressed by preseason results but i was not happy with the effort at all tonight :bang: :bang:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I wondered during the Sask game why they didn't let Dickinson get his rhythm and why Jackson played so long and Pierce not at all. With just two games to get ready, it sure makes it tough to get an offence firing on all cylinders when the alleged 3rd string QB gets most of the work in the first game. If they plan to have the winner in the battle as the starter then why didn't they bring Jackson back into this game for a 1/4. Last year it was the same thing with the QBs and it didn't bite them. Maybe they ran out of luck with their QB juggling.

There are times that coaches get so wrapped in their game plans they miss the big picture.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Blitz
Team Captain

If there's anyone who can light a fire under this team it's Wally. I'd be shocked if we don't look a ton better in Toronto
It's not all on Wally's shoulders nor should it be! Championship teams have player leaders. The leaders on this team are Dave Dickenson, Geroy Simon, Rob Murphy, Angus Reid, and Jason Clermont on offense and Brent Johnson, Otis Floyd, and Barrin Miles on defense.

Geroy Simon played well tonite and set an example as did Barrin Miles. Otis wasn't there. However, if we're going to have another very successful season it also rests on our player leaders to set the tone and attiude.

There is nothing wrong with the coaching and attempting to look for fault with the new offensive coaching structure is a red herring. Buck said it best tonight. Edmonton didn't give them any defenses that they weren't prepared for....it was a lack of player focus that is causing the problems.

That focus can be fixed. This Leos team has the talent..it has even more talent than last season and additional experience to boot. It just needs to get down to business. Wally looked even more agitated tonite and a little worried. I think it will be a very serious week of practice. Time for the players to start practicing like every team is gunning for them..which they are!

Games are won in practice. Drops and mental mistakes in practice mean mistakes in games! The signs have been thee all through training camp. We need to change course quickly this week and start this season in Toronto with a focused effort...momentum works both ways!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Solar Max wrote:

Commonwealth and Mosiac have been graveyards for the Lions under Wally and tonight was no different.
As soon as I heard a wet field and a strong wind, I knew it didn't bode well for Dickenson with his arm strength.

My biggest disapointment tonight was the starters stinking up bad enough that many of the young players, like Boden and Nicolson, didn't even see the field.
I don't think a lot happened tonight to assist Wally in his final cuts.

Jiminez has not had a great pre-season. Holding calls in both games and at least one procedure call against him tonight that put the Lions in a second and long.

It's way too early to determine if Wally made the right call with the OC by committee but I have to admit I am a little concerned.
For the last couple of seasons, it's been clear the offence was Chapdelaine's baby and with that came the praise and criticism. Now there's really not one person to answer for its shortcomings and none of the three involved have ever been an OC in the CFL.
Hopefully Hufnagel is only a phone call away.
Blitz
Team Captain

wondered during the Sask game why they didn't let Dickinson get his rhythm and why Jackson played so long and Pierce not at all.
I didn't have a problem with the way the Leos have played their quarterbacks in the two exhibition games. Dickenson played a quarter and Buck played a quarter and Jarious a half against the Riders. Dickenson played a half against the Eskimos and Buck played a half.

That's three quarters for Dickenson and Buck and a half for Jarious. The top two quarterbacks got almost all the snaps in the final pre-season game. With only two exhibition games it made sense to me! Of course I really believe the league made a wrong decision to go with only two exhibition games a number of years back. You really need three exhibition games to properly look at players and get them ready for a regular season and eighteen regular season games are too many. That decision waa about money.

However, the game would be better with a new arrangement!
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

<----------------------- See avatar for my post-game thoughts.
Real women wear orange!!
Blitz
Team Captain

Now there's really not one person to answer for its shortcomings and none of the three involved have ever been an OC in the CFL.
Baresi was the offensive coordinator for Hamilton in 2004 and 2005...Solar Max. Dorazio doesn't have offensive coordinator experience in the CFL but he's been a football coach for 35 years and been involved in a lot more major programs than Chapdelaine ever has. Hufnagel has also been there throughout camp and he's about as good as you can get in terms of offensive knowledge in the CFL. The problem and the solution will be found with the players!