Tribute to Matt Dunigan

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

BTW - just because I dont beleive what you say is true, doesnt mean it cant be true, specially if it is :yes:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Robbie
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:BTW - just because I dont beleive what you say is true, doesnt mean it cant be true, specially if it is :yes:
Okay, trust me on this one - I'm correct. :wink:

For some reason, almost everyone thinks the score at the time of the interception was how the game ended: 22-21, when it fact it was actually 22-19 for Winnipeg. Previous discussions about this fact can be seen at:

http://www.lionbackers.com/cheer/viewto ... 0&start=45

There was some drama after the interception and BC did get one more possession but messed it up. I guess BC fans were too emotional after the interception to recall exactly what happened afterwards.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:BTW - just because I dont beleive what you say is true, doesnt mean it cant be true, specially if it is :yes:

For some reason, almost everyone thinks the score at the time of the interception was how the game ended: 22-21, when it fact it was actually 22-19 for Winnipeg. Previous discussions about this fact can be seen at:

There was some drama after the interception and BC did get one more possession but messed it up. I guess BC fans were too emotional after the interception to recall exactly what happened afterwards.
That's entirely possible. I know a wall in my place got punched out pretty bad right at that moment. I could settle this discussion because I do have the game on a videocassette but can't bring myself to watch it - still. Also don't have a VCR hooked up anymore.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:
Robbie wrote:

That's entirely possible. I know a wall in my place got punched out pretty bad right at that moment. I could settle this discussion because I do have the game on a videocassette but can't bring myself to watch it - still. Also don't have a VCR hooked up anymore.
Well, it's up to you as to whether you want to watch it, Lions4ever. But you don't really have to settle anything as I know that I'm 100% correct on this one.

In that game, Lui Passaglia wasn't his best either as he only made 1-3 of field goal attempts - one was missed for a single and the other was blocked. Also, while his punting with the wind was okay, his punting into the wind was terrible compared to Bob Cameron, and that constantly gave Winnipeg good field position, including their possession late in the game that allowed them to break the 19-all tie with a field goal to go ahead 22-19.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Oh I don't argue your recollection. It's just that I haven't quite gotten over that one..yet.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

As further proof that I am correct, there is an article in today's Vancouver Province on Matt Dunigan:

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/ ... cafb40457f

That article contains the following line:

"He led the Lions to the Grey Cup game in '88 and, trailing 22-19, had the Lions on the Winnipeg seven-yard line with time running out when a pass attempt was tipped and intercepted by defensive lineman Mike Gary in the end zone."
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

yeah, I noticed that, and you are probably right. Yet, dont discount that the writer of this article could have taken the info from a previous erroneous writing.
bbang
Starter

In December of 2000 I had lunch with Lui Passaglia AND the Grey Cup at Major League Pub in Chilliwack. We talked about the win and other things. I said to him that one of my biggest disappointments was the Dunigan interception in 88'. Lui said to me that he didn't understand why a passing play was called cause all he had to do was make a chip shot to tie the game. So if Lui said that , Iwould take that to the bank.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

bbang wrote:In December of 2000 I had lunch with Lui Passaglia AND the Grey Cup at Major League Pub in Chilliwack. We talked about the win and other things. I said to him that one of my biggest disappointments was the Dunigan interception in 88'. Lui said to me that he didn't understand why a passing play was called cause all he had to do was make a chip shot to tie the game. So if Lui said that , Iwould take that to the bank.
Yeah, a chip shot (albeit into the strong wind) would have tied the game, but keep in mind Winnipeg's defense had blocked a field goal earlier and forced BC to turn the ball over on downs on an attempted third down QB sneak by Dunigan. I guess in the mind of Dunigan and Donovan, going for the lead (and possibly the win) with a TD was the best thing to do late in the game.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

but at that point, I think Mo was wearing a lions uniform. We all felt confident that a field goal was gonna result in a lions win.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I felt a field goal would have sent the game into OT or maybe would have still lost it for the Lions as Trevor Kenner was good in his FG kicking that day, and the Salisbury-Murphy combination was better than Dunigan-Williams. I remember very well the play late in the first quarter when deep in their end, Salisbury completed a short pass to James Murphy, who dipsy-doodled for 71 yards all the way to the BC six yard line. Although no TD resulted afterwards, they scored a FG to tie the game at 7.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

and the Salisbury-Murphy combination was better than Dunigan-Williams.
I hope you mean for just that one game.

Stats?
Robbie
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
and the Salisbury-Murphy combination was better than Dunigan-Williams.
I hope you mean for just that one game.

Stats?
Yeah, for that one all-important game. I know that James Murphy was the leading receiver for that game: 5 catches for 165 yards and 1 TD.
Rammer
Team Captain

Robbie wrote:As further proof that I am correct, there is an article in today's Vancouver Province on Matt Dunigan:

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/ ... cafb40457f

That article contains the following line:

"He led the Lions to the Grey Cup game in '88 and, trailing 22-19, had the Lions on the Winnipeg seven-yard line with time running out when a pass attempt was tipped and intercepted by defensive lineman Mike Gary in the end zone."
I wonder why that came to be? An interested party (media) reads about our debate on the INT of that GC and it is discussed in todays papers......just say hello to Ian McIntyre :yes:
Entertainment value = an all time low
rickhale
Starter

Matt Dunnigan threw the 88 Grey Cup away PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bang:
Pretty girls make us buy beer.
Ugly girls make us drink beer.
Al Bundy 1988