Tribute to Matt Dunigan

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Gonna be great to see two of Matts best games this weekend on espn classic

http://www.tsn.ca/classic/feature/?fid=10697

although both games will be a little bittersweet. The first one because of knowing what comes after in the next game, and the second one because Flutie and the Lions were his victims.

Still, very much looking forward to seeing it again.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Yeah, both are bittersweet. I've noticed that people in Vancouver don't seem to hold a grudge against Dunigan, unlike some cities such as Boston with Bill Buckner, Edmonton with Steve Smith, and Toronto with Leon McQuay.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:Yeah, both are bittersweet. I've noticed that people in Vancouver don't seem to hold a grudge against Dunigan, unlike some cities such as Boston with Bill Buckner, Edmonton with Steve Smith, and Toronto with Leon McQuay.
You forgot Buffalo and Scott Norwood :football: wide right.
nelson95
Legend

No shame in being beaten by Sean Salsbury :bang: :x :oops: :? :hypno: :sigh: :no:
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Robbie
Hall of Famer

To show that Lions fans still don't hold grudges, they voted Andre Francis as a member of the All-Time Dream Team:

http://www.bclions.com/themes/bc2/bios/dt-bio-1.html

even though in the 1988 Grey Cup, he didn't do a good job defending the receiver he was assigned to - James Murphy, as Murphy ended up with 5 catches for 165 yards and Winnipeg's only touchdown.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I blame the guy pretending to be a Head Coach for the 88 loss. Ultimate blame to Galat for creating the coaching situation. We still shoulda had mathews, and all other things being equal, 88 would not have even been close. The bombers would have wished they were somewhere else.
Lionut
Hall of Famer

It's not Matt Dunigan's fault that the Lions' coaching staff made a bonehead call down near the goal line in that '88 Grey Cup. All they needed was a field goal, and yet they put the ball in the air needlessly down inside the 10. That was dumb coaching at its finest, almost as dumb as punting on first down in OT...
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

That was dumb coaching at its finest, almost as dumb as punting on first down in OT...
moreso.....we get to play again next week.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Lionut wrote:It's not Matt Dunigan's fault that the Lions' coaching staff made a bonehead call down near the goal line in that '88 Grey Cup. All they needed was a field goal
We talked about this issue many times before and I had to make a correction several times already, including now.

The score at the time of the interception was 22-19 for Winnipeg. A successful field goal would have only tied the game at 22 and given Winnipeg another possession with over a minute left. It made more sense for BC to try for a TD and lead by 4. The decision to throw to Carinci down the middle was risky, but an attempted of seven yards for a TD wouldn't have been totally possible either. Dunigan should have passed to the corner of the end zone to David Williams who was supposedly open.

After a two and out series by Winnipeg on their possession, Winnipeg punter Bob Cameron conceded a safety to make the score 22-21. After the safety, BC elected to receive a kickoff. The return by Anthony Drawhorn was decent, but Tony Cherry was flagged for a major foul which drove the Lions back and ejected the running back. On their last possession, the Lions turned the ball over on downs.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

The score at the time of the interception was 22-19 for Winnipeg
I beg to differ, can you prove this, cause I cant, either way?
Robbie
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
The score at the time of the interception was 22-19 for Winnipeg
I beg to differ, can you prove this, cause I cant, either way?
About 1.5 years ago I requested that Obs provide a video clips of this incident after a debate with two other Lionbackers over the score at the time of the interception. I am absolutely, positively certain that I am correct in that the score was 22-19 for Winnipeg at the time of the interception. The score was tied at 19 for most of the fourth quarter until about 2.5 minutes left when Trevor Kennerd kicked a FG to give Winnipeg the 3-point lead.

Okay, I'll prove it using a reference from the http://www.cfl.ca web page:

On the CFL Legends profile for Matt Dunigan:
http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=page&id=51

There contains the following paragraph:

"But it was an agonizing loss for his Lions. Late in the game, with the score 22-19 in favor of the Bombers, the Lions moved inside the opposition 10. Sturdy Winnipeg nose-tackle Stan Mikawos was injured on first and goal and was replaced. Instead of predictably attacking the Blue front three on the ground, Dunigan dropped back to pass. The ball was tipped up, floated down and was cradled by sliding defensive tackle Mike Gray. The awkward lullaby would be enough for the Bombers to withstand a determined Lion firestorm. The final was 22-21, Winnipeg."
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I really beleive that to be wrong, but you found it, and I cant find anything but my own memory to refute it right now. Got to get me a copy of that game cause I would bet a hell of a lot that the source of your quote is wrong.

I remember before the pass clearly expecting the Lions to have the game won. Wouldnt have felt that way if the FG would only have tied. Just cant be right.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:I really beleive that to be wrong, but you found it, and I cant find anything but my own memory to refute it right now. Got to get me a copy of that game cause I would bet a hell of a lot that the source of your quote is wrong.

I remember before the pass clearly expecting the Lions to have the game won. Wouldnt have felt that way if the FG would only have tied. Just cant be right.
How much are you willing to bet, KnowItAll? I'm so certain that I am correct that I'll bet all my life savings.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:I really beleive that to be wrong, but you found it, and I cant find anything but my own memory to refute it right now. Got to get me a copy of that game cause I would bet a hell of a lot that the source of your quote is wrong.

How much are you willing to bet, KnowItAll? I'm so certain that I am correct that I'll bet all my life savings.
not quite that sure, heh heh. but I really wanna see the film again. I know that I was chagrinned to see him throw before the ball even left his hand. I just couldnt beleive what I was seeing. It was so obvious a running or fg situation in my mind. I remember that better than I do the score.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
Robbie wrote:

not quite that sure, heh heh. but I really wanna see the film again. I know that I was chagrinned to see him throw before the ball even left his hand. I just couldnt beleive what I was seeing. It was so obvious a running or fg situation in my mind. I remember that better than I do the score.
Well, what set up the play was a long run by Tony Cherry to bring the ball to about the Winnipeg 9. On first and goal, Cherry rushed for 2 yards to make it second and goal from the 7. That was when Dunigan attempted the pass.