B.C. at Saskatchewan Aug. 6, 2021

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

BC 1988 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:31 pm
Of all the unexpected things, Halford & Brough had the Moj on this morning. He is toeing the party line "Reilly will be fine". Begins at 16:00
https://podcast.sportsnet.ca/halford-an ... -the-show/
Over on RF there are no comments yet about the BC QB situation. They seem to be more worried about their own OL and whether they will see original cuddly Gainer or scary eyes meth head Gainer.
Lol. Yup it's interesting. They do have concerns about their OL and rightfully so. Things were looking good then Labatte decided not to play and an injury or two later and they are staring at Boyko starting. Actually some seemed somewhat excited about Boyko starting to give them 4 NATs starting on the OL. My first thought there was "gee that rings a bell".
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Reg18
Starter

After watching the bombers beating the to cats to mite I hope our game is played as well. And I think wpg is going to be hard to beat they now have 2 running backs that can pound the rock. Get behind the bombers and good luck trying to play catch up when you cant touch the ball.
Reg18
Starter

A comment on the wpg game mentioned Reilly's situation and said that the lions flew Reilly down to Vancouver for an MRI during camp and nothing was found and he could play without causing further damage.. I wonder if its all a ruse to throw a curve at Riders we will know soon..
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Reg18 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:47 pm
A comment on the wpg game mentioned Reilly's situation and said that the lions flew Reilly down to Vancouver for an MRI during camp and nothing was found and he could play without causing further damage.. I wonder if its all a ruse to throw a curve at Riders we will know soon..
I doubt there is any ruse involved as a coach is not going to keep his star player from practicing just to trick an opponent. I fear that Reilly is worse than the Lions are letting on, not better.
Foxhound
Starter

Interesting as well that the Lions are going with James Butler at RB for the game against the Roughriders on Friday instead of the highly touted Shaq Cooper.

:shock:
Radically Canadian!
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Foxhound wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:45 pm
Interesting as well that the Lions are going with James Butler at RB for the game against the Roughriders on Friday instead of the highly touted Shaq Cooper.

:shock:
I think Cooper is injured.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Reg18 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:47 pm
With the single game betting coming onstream and supposedly providing a potentially huge revenue injection into the CFL playing a ruse game will go over like a lead balloon with the league, bettors and the betting partners who will be working with the CFL. To play a ruse to throw a curve at the Riders is also throwing a curve at those who set the odds and the bettors who have to trust those odds.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

I don't think it's a ruse, and there are a number of issues at play.

Age is one. The long layoff is likely to impact the bodies of a number of players adversely. We see this also when teams end up playing multiple games at the beginning of the season on compressed schedules. Could be a hammy, could be an ankle, could be an elbow. Going from zero to game speed with no or limited ramp up is a serious problem for a lot of guys.

That said, if Reilly is injured, it's better that it happens now than later. The more reps Rourke gets now, the faster he gets better later.

In any event, it's not likely that any team is going to come out and light it up, especially with a 21 month layoff and no preseason. If last night is any indication offensive timing is going to be bad and that's to the benefit of teams who are equipped to win the DL vs. OL battle. It's also to the benefit of teams with strong power running games and solid offensive lines, because if you can control the line of scrimmage and play from ahead as a result, you can minimize the need to rely on passing (which relies on timing, which is suffering due to the layoff) and time of possession. In that sense, I think Butler is actually a better option early, when muscle is going to matter more than space and finesse.

So losing Reilly early isn't necessarily a bad thing; if he's going to miss time with either a legitimate injury or (if you're some other posters in this thread) 'Roethlisberger Syndrome' it's better that it happens now than later.

I have no expectations this season, and you shouldn't either. Let's just enjoy some football.
Foxhound
Starter

DanoT wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:11 am
Could be, but I've not found him on any injury list.

:juggle:
Radically Canadian!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Foxhound wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:44 am
DanoT wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:11 am
Could be, but I've not found him on any injury list.

:juggle:
Cooper, WR Keon Hatcher and OL Kent Perkins were moved to the injured list to bring the Lions down to the roster limit.
https://www.cfl.ca/transactions/
David
Team Captain

So to Foxhound's point, are we to infer then that if Cooper is not listed on any injury reports that Butler beat out Cooper to be the #1 running back, at least for this game? Not exactly sure how injury reporting works.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:19 am
So to Foxhound's point, are we to infer then that if Cooper is not listed on any injury reports that Butler beat out Cooper to be the #1 running back, at least for this game? Not exactly sure how injury reporting works.

DH :cool:
Cooper is on the one game Injury List, as per the Lions Roster:
https://www.bclions.com/roster/

According to their bios, Butler is 1" shorter at 5'9, but 20 lbs heavier at 210 and a CFL rookie vs Cooper who has played for Elks in the past when they were Esks.
Reg18
Starter

I wonder if it came down to which was a better pass protection blocker? I noticed on one college site where they rate rbs on number of pancakes that is when an onrushing defender is put to the ground. Maybe butler was more physical? Time will tel!.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Reg18 wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:43 pm
I wonder if it came down to which was a better pass protection blocker? I noticed on one college site where they rate rbs on number of pancakes that is when an onrushing defender is put to the ground. Maybe butler was more physical? Time will tel!.
As mentioned earlier, I liked Butler and considered him to be a better option as power running back. I’m not sure about blocking ability.
Reg18
Starter

Ive been at practices where rbs pass block and are expected to handle blitzing ?linebackers who nave a running start from o. 10 to 15 yards back it's one of the most physical matchups in the game.. That's one of the interactions I look for in a game. Quite violent.