Canadian Quarterbacks

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

I totally believe there are Canadian quarterbacks who could play pro in the CFL. If we can have Canadian college players who go on to the NCAA and the NFL in other positions we certainly have the athletes to play the quarterback position.

I believe its mostly bias. We had that same bias regarding Canadian tailbacks but players like Jon Cornish and Andrew Harris are changing that bias.

Hopefully we'll see a Canadian starting quarterback in the CFL in the future.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Jim Mullin wrote:Toppy, I agree. What a waste of time and shame on the Lions for not living up to the spirit of the development rule. But it is not surprising.

Hambone, O'Connor is not going anywhere. He has a great situation in Vancouver with the Thunderbirds. It will a pleasure watching him play five years here with Nill at the helm.
Where was that damned internship before you QBed at Snow Bowl eh Jim! :wink:
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Jim Mullin
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Jim Mullin wrote:Toppy, I agree. What a waste of time and shame on the Lions for not living up to the spirit of the development rule. But it is not surprising.

Hambone, O'Connor is not going anywhere. He has a great situation in Vancouver with the Thunderbirds. It will a pleasure watching him play five years here with Nill at the helm.
Where was that damned internship before you QBed at Snow Bowl eh Jim! :wink:
I think the only institution I qualified for had transportation provided by the short bus that day.
Krown Countdown U on CHCH TV and the TSN Radio Network.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-5 ... 06107.html

Blitz might be right there is bias but then again the rule (I believe it still exists) favours US imports. Marc Mueller (grandson of Ron Lancaster) and the Running backs coach with the Stamps.

I liked the old, old rule IIRC that after 5 years in the CFL you counted as a non-import.
I believe that the last major step for a Canadian QB to be back in the CFL is to treat us the same as other
Canadians. Until quarterbacks count against the ratio, it will be very difficult for teams to take a chance on a 23
year old CIS quarterback over a 27-28 year old NCAA quarterback who just left the NFL. The misconception is that us CIS QBs compete against NCAA QBs for jobs. We don't. We compete with the guy who just got cut from the NFL and has been with the Eagles or Bears for two or three years. For example, Colt Brennan, we compete against a guy like that.

I believe if there was no three-quarterback designation and that if there was just imports and non-imports that there would be more Canadian quarterbacks, not only because of the incentive but that most of the good athletes that play quarterback in high school in Canada wont change positions for a chance at the CFL. (Hey, that wasn't me, I can play one position and that's quarterback *laughs*).
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote: I liked the old, old rule IIRC that after 5 years in the CFL you counted as a non-import.
Agree, getting rid of that rule was a big mistake in my opinion.
JohnHenry
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote: I liked the old, old rule IIRC that after 5 years in the CFL you counted as a non-import.
They tried the Naturalized Canadian rule in the 60's. It was soon scaled back then mothballed after only a few seasons. You can draw your own conclusions about the success the program. Do we really want Americans who've played in the CFL for 5 years, for example, taking starting spots away from Canadians? There are only 7 starting spots for Nationals on CFL teams. Hopefully they are actually Canadians and preferably CIS or CJFL trained...not American transplants who likely still hold American citizenship (or dual citizenship.)

A simple solution for leveling the playing field for Canadian QB's is to count them as Nationals in the roster quota. First, include all QB's in the national/import ratio, i.e. 21 Nationals and 23 Imports. Each team would be required to designate 3 players as QB's. The number of Imports would increase to 17 (from 16 + QB's) with 6 Designated imports which would likely include 1 or 2 American backup QB's.

With 17 starting imports that leaves a minimum of 7 starting spots for Nationals. If a team dresses 3 American QB's the ratio would be the same as is currently used. Dressing a Canadian backup QB would give teams an extra designated import in another position. If a team starts a Canadian QB that would free up an extra import starter in another position.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

TheLionKing wrote:

After 5 years residency a player could become a Canadian citizen and then get counted as a non import.

The reason that the rule was changed was because teams like Hamilton had Mosca (one of the top DT of the day) and John Barrow (one of the top DT of all time) along with a few other guys whose names I can remember, playing as non imports and it gave them an unfair advantage. Level the playing field.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:A simple solution for leveling the playing field for Canadian QB's is to count them as Nationals in the roster quota. First, include all QB's in the national/import ratio, i.e. 21 Nationals and 23 Imports. Each team would be required to designate 3 players as QB's. The number of Imports would increase to 17 (from 16 + QB's) with 6 Designated imports which would likely include 1 or 2 American backup QB's.

With 17 starting imports that leaves a minimum of 7 starting spots for Nationals. If a team dresses 3 American QB's the ratio would be the same as is currently used. Dressing a Canadian backup QB would give teams an extra designated import in another position. If a team starts a Canadian QB that would free up an extra import starter in another position.
Agreed. I've advocated that approach for years. It hasn't gained any traction but the league is giving a lot more attention to developing Canadian QBs now.

http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... Bs#p207590
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:

After 5 years residency a player could become a Canadian citizen and then get counted as a non import.

The reason that the rule was changed was because teams like Hamilton had Mosca (one of the top DT of the day) and John Barrow (one of the top DT of all time) along with a few other guys whose names I can remember, playing as non imports and it gave them an unfair advantage. Level the playing field.
At the time roster limits for imports were much smaller. Today teams are allowed to dress 20 imports + 3 QBs. In the 50s they were restricted to 10 on the roster with only 8 allowed to dress. By 1968 it was 17 NIs and 13 imports plus 1 DI . If the DI entered the game the import he replaced had to hit the showers. In 1972 the roster went up to 33; 18 NIs and 15 Imports. In 1988 it was 20, 14 + 2 QBs. In 1990 they added a QB to that. What I can't find are the required starter numbers in those eras. Seems to me in the mid 80s it may have been as high as 10 NIs to start. Obviously by the base roster numbers in 1968 it would have been impossible to start fewer than 11 NIs. In those days it would've been hugely advantageous if you an import could get re-designated as an NI. In the case of Mosca and Barrow the Ti-Cats would've been able to replace 2 NI starters with two of the very best players in the history of the game while freeing up 2 roster spots for 2 more quality imports.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:

There were other reasons outlined here that involved human rights and Bora Laskin (later Chief Justice of the SCC) came in.

I see no reason why a naturalized Canadian rule could work in the CFL and not put local jobs at work.

As to Dano's point that Ticats got the advantage - the same rules applied to all teams. Something that gave stability to the team like that would be good for the gate.

Maybe just give the teams a 4th Canadian QB position as well as the other 3.

The reality is that any QB should be ready to play another position - DB REC KR as the US trained players will win.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-5 ... 41514.html
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Not sure if this got posted. Recent article on Brett Rypien.

https://3downnation.com/2019/04/25/qb-b ... tizenship/
QB Brett Rypien ‘working on getting’ Canadian citizenship
By Justin Dunk - April 25, 2019/quote]

Very nice words about Canada for this Boise State U player! Sounds like a potential CFLer who'd want to be here.
“My uncle and dad are Canadian, so I’ve always loved Canada. Right now I don’t have dual citizenship. I’m working on getting it,” Rypien told PostMedia’s John Kryk.

The B.C. Lions have Rypien on their negotiation list and know about his Canadian lineage and therefore his potential as a national.
....but for this....
Many NFL scouts have given Rypien a draftable grade, viewing the Boise State University product as a candidate to make an NFL roster as a backup quarterback with the ability to develop and potentially become a starter.

Down the line, if NFL options dried up, Rypien could take a look at the CFL and the Canadian citizenship could make him more valuable if the quarterback position is counted towards the ratio in the new collective bargaining agreement.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

One story says Brett Rypien likely wasn't drafted as Boise State QBs have no history in the NFL.
For all the great quarterbacks Boise State has had in recent years — Kellen Moore, Jared Zabransky, Ryan Dinwiddie and Bart Hendricks to name a few — the Broncos haven’t had one drafted since Jim McMillan went in 1975 to the Detroit Lions in the 14th round. The streak lives on.
Only one Boise State quarterback, Moore, has ever appeared in a regular season NFL game. Rypien will get a chance to achieve that, but it will be a longshot as an undrafted free agent. He’ll have to compete and fight just to make a roster as a third quarterback or as a practice squad player. An undrafted free agent is stuck with little money — and a huge uphill climb.
“I know some teams had some good grades on me and I think the way that things played out, it’s tough to say why I didn’t get picked,” Rypien said. “I had a lot of opportunities when it got to the sixth and seventh rounds. Teams started (checking) in, talking about free agency. During that time it’s not really something you want to be hearing, but towards the start of the seventh round I kind of realized the reality of the situation.
https://www.idahopress.com/blueturfspor ... ary-latest

Would a CFL back up get this much?
Rypien was given a guarantee of $146,000, which included a $10,000 signing bonus. That guarantee is among the most lucrative in this year’s undrafted free agent class, and likely the highest among quarterbacks.
According to 9News in Denver, it may be the most the Broncos have given to an undrafted free agent, and certainly the most in John Elway’s eight-year tenure as general manager. The $136,000 is a full season’s pay on the practice squad, and veteran reporter Mike Klis wrote that “it virtually assures Rypien will be part of the Broncos’ quarterback room in 2019, although it’s not a full guarantee.” The guarantee is comparable to what a sixth-round pick typically is given.

Sounds like he's a smart thinker about playing and a career.
“I wanted a team that was going to be invested in my development,” Rypien told The Athletic. “I knew the coaching staff believed in me and thought I was a draftable player. I had a really good relationship with coach (Rich) Scangarello throughout the entire pre-draft process, so I think that was probably the biggest part for me. I want to go to a place where I knew I was going to get a shot to develop and be a guy eventually.”

https://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/c ... 88984.html
CardiacKid
Legend

St. Mary’s recently retired Chris Flynn’s #1. Flynn was one of the most exciting, entertaining players I ever got to watch, pro or amateur, NCAA or CIS.

Whether or not his talent would have translated to success in the CFL (he did have a wee stint with Ottawa), I often wondered if things were a little different in regards to Canadian QBs, he would have carved out a decent career.

It’s unfortunate we didn’t get to see him play beyond his Time in the CIS as he was great to watch. Plus he could have served as inspiration for Canadian QBs getting an earlier foot in the door.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 4:10 pm
St. Mary’s recently retired Chris Flynn’s #1. Flynn was one of the most exciting, entertaining players I ever got to watch, pro or amateur, NCAA or CIS.

Whether or not his talent would have translated to success in the CFL (he did have a wee stint with Ottawa), I often wondered if things were a little different in regards to Canadian QBs, he would have carved out a decent career.

It’s unfortunate we didn’t get to see him play beyond his Time in the CIS as he was great to watch. Plus he could have served as inspiration for Canadian QBs getting an earlier foot in the door.
The way the QBs are counted these days there's no benefit or need for a Canadian QB - sadly.

Always has me thinking of the Waylon Jennings song for Canadian QBs:

"Mamas' don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys."

Insert QBs for cowboys and that's about how it works.

Maybe this agreement with the CFLPA will change that for teams to count a Canadian QB as a National for the starting ratio - not much of a change.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

The problem with counting a Canadian QB against the ratio is that teams could put a national on their roster as their #3 QB just to open up a non-national roster spot elsewhere.

What I would like to see is the CFL encourage teams to actually put Canadian QBs on the field by counting a Canadian QB as 2 nationals. Example, if you start a Canadian QB you only have to start 5 nationals. Or if a Canadian QB enters the game then 2 other nationals can be substituted for non-nationals.

Think about a situation like Brandon Bridge. Don't you think his leash would have been a lot longer in Saskatchewan if Jones could have played two more non-imports elsewhere? Or think about Bridge's situation in Toronto now. Obviously you would not put just any warm Canadian body at QB simply to open up import spots elsewhere. But if you had a Canadian QB who was good enough to play, a team could actually get better by playing him even if they didn't feel that Canadian was the best QB on the depth chart .