Which Import lineman is sweating the most?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

peeby
Starter

Notice Hunter Steward's on the roster. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean he'll play that much, but if he did, and if he played well, which import would be looking over his shoulder?

Personally, the most disappointing lineman of the year is Oliafoye. That side of the line caved in quite a bit this year, though it wouldn't be all his fault. But think of the guys who have gone outside of him, and the number of penalties he's taken this year.

Oly-oly-foy-yay! (Dean Valli calling him over to the sidelines)
The_Pauser
Legend

Jovan Olafioye has been one of the top O-Linemen in the league over the past few years, there's no way you take him out. Foster is our only C (outside of Thorn) so he's pretty safe. Tommy Draheim is probably the one on the bubble. Not sure if he can transition to a guard spot though (or Steward?).
Roar you Lions roar!
Dusty
Champion

peeby wrote:Notice Hunter Steward's on the roster. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean he'll play that much, but if he did, and if he played well, which import would be looking over his shoulder?
The Province is saying that Hunter will be on the short yardage team, so T-Dre sits....Mind you, if someone goes down, Steward could step into a larger role in tomorrow's game. I forgot how little Hunter has played since his early success...
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

No American lineman will lose his job to Steward this year. I don't know if he'll even get enough snaps for the coaches to thoroughly evaluate him. For now, T-Dre Player is the big loser. He has gone from starter to backup to the one-game injured list (the coaches' doghouse) after seemingly winning a starting job in training camp for the second straight year.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

All those big hogs sweat a lot. :wink:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Blitz
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:No American lineman will lose his job to Steward this year. I don't know if he'll even get enough snaps for the coaches to thoroughly evaluate him. For now, T-Dre Player is the big loser. He has gone from starter to backup to the one-game injured list (the coaches' doghouse) after seemingly winning a starting job in training camp for the second straight year.
I can see Stewart at right guard in the short future.

Where he will play next season will depend on whether we go with 3 Internationals on the line again next season or we go with two. Signing Brett Jones, if available, next season would be a great move for our Leos but even if we opened the bank I doubt he would sign with Wally here.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Dusty
Champion

Blitz wrote:

Where he will play next season will depend on whether we go with 3 Internationals on the line again next season or we go with two. Signing Brett Jones, if available, next season would be a great move for our Leos but even if we opened the bank I doubt he would sign with Wally here.
What is the status of Boyko (apologies if mis-spelled)?? Did he catch on down south?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Dusty wrote:
Blitz wrote:

What is the status of Boyko (apologies if mis-spelled)?? Did he catch on down south?
He's on the Philadelphia Eagles practice roster.
David
Team Captain

Have to find a way to keep Tommie Draheim, who's been our best lineman this year. I would like to see Hunter Steward moved over to Guard and keep Draheim at left tackle, although I think Hunter prefers to play the LT position.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
peeby
Starter

You know one thing I struggle with concerning the Lions and the O-line is why aren't we coming up with some non-imports who not only fill the three inside positions, but excel in the manner some guys do on other teams. Or seem to. We've had quite a few Canadians go through those two guard positions in the last few years without anyone standing out that much. If you throw in the Canadian centre, Matt Norman, you've got a lot of Canadians who had opportunities. I find myself wondering if the other CFL teams have the same issues. I do know they have injuries, but it really does seem that our line is always one of the poorer ones in the league. I'm sure that if our O-line was better, you'd have Harris scampering into the other team's defensive backfield as much (or nearly) as Jon Cornish does when he plays. I really thought the TE position would have helped there, but I'm not even sure those guys played as a TE.

Why the heck did T-Dre not turn into a reasonable guard in his second year? Matt Norman? Virtually the same thing there. Why us?
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Former CFL lineman Chris Burns, on the post game radio show said that when Hunter Steward is healthy and in game shape, put him back in at LT and move Tommy Draheim inside. Makes sense to me so either Fabien or Thorn goes to backup.
pennw
Legend

I would say bump Olafioye out if any of the imports has to go. Can't do without our Center and Dreheim is easily our best Olineman . Maybe Stewart could go RT , Olafioye really has not been that good after being an all star early in his career . The trouble with having Sterwart bump anyone is that he seems injury prone , although that could be just bad breaks too.
peeby
Starter

Thought I saw some good things out the line just the way it is last night. I noticed the centre pulling out to block around the end a couple times. That American seems safe enough. He is a marked improvement over Matt Norman. Thought Draheim struggled a little. Saw Fabien do some things, including pulling over to the right side to pass block. Have a feeling he's starting to play more to what he was before he was injured.

The right side of the line? Think that may have been where Harris was running, so can't fault them too much (like I did previously).

The poster who said there won't be further changes this year is probably correct. Hunter Steward could back-up for the remaining games.

I was thinking another import spot could be used for a running back to switch with Harris on and off, but who even knows if the practice roster RB can even play.