Simon traded to Riders

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Spud387
Champion

274always wrote:
squishy35 wrote:Image
That's Superman wrapped in Kryptonite.
Haha nice! (the joke. not the picture)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Over at Riderfans there are 418 viewers. In the new thread about Geroy there are already 25 pages, 500 replies and over 11,500 views.

Mixed reactions, but they recognize his ability.
MikeAK
All Star

Sorry boys but I just don't like this one bit. I think this was a terrible move. Yes I know a lot of my frustration is out of emotion but I still believe Geroy brings more than just on field performance. Some players are worth just as much off the field as they are on and G-money was that. I'm not ready to acknowledge the football reasoning yet. Sad day for me and my family. Geroy has been the face of pro sports in our home for as long as I can remember. The guy is a legend and was money in the bank for us game in and game out. 4ever a Leo!
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote: http://www.riderville.com/roster/show/id/209

Seems they haven't assigned him Mr. Elgaard's #81 yet. Didn't they retire that number for him?
He's on 1040 with Sekeres right now and confirmed Elgaard has okayed him to wear #81.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

As nice as it would have been for the franchise to see Geroy retire as BC Lion, the reality of the CFL SMS and roster size was not going to let that happen. At the end of the day both WB/Lions and Geroy made the decision that was in each party's best interests. About the only thing I find surprising is that this trade happened on the heels of ABIII getting released. I really thought that move was an indication that Geroy was going to be re-signed.

Given everything that Geroy has accomplished during his career as a Lion it should be a no brainer to retire #81 when Geroy does decide to end his playing career.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

"Dwight Freeney wants to play next year but it doesn't look like it will be with the Colts."
Happens everywhere, with every team, in every league, you know?
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I think it is important to remember here that this probably wasn't the Lions first choice either. I'm sure that Geroy looks in the mirror and sees a guy that he thinks has another season or two left. In short, I'm sure he could have stayed with the Lions in some kind of capacity had he chosen to go that route but it didn't appeal. Out of respect for his contribution to the team, they have let him shop his wares elsewhere and he has ended up with the Green Weenies. Personally, I think that maybe Geroy has made a mistake but it is his life to live and $170,000 is $170,000. I hope for his sake that this signing doesn't end up looking a lot like the Clermont signing did; where a once great player was used so sparingly, you had to wonder what the point was of signing him in the first instance? I don't often find myself putting much stock in Pratt but I think he summed it up correctly that this move is similar to a lot of great past athletes (e.g. Rice, Montana) who didn't quite know when the clock had run down and as such maybe sullied a little their own greatness by continuing to try and play after their best before date. Regardless, the man has been a consummate professional and I hope that when his playing days are done, that he will sign back here for a day and retire as a Lion. In the annals of Lions history, only Lui Passagila will come with as much face recognition. Thank you Geroy. You may be gone but you will never be forgotten and even if you are now playing for a fan base that I detest only slightly less than most politicians, I still wish you personally the very best. You are a class act!
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
David
Team Captain

I don't think Wally would have taken (what some might say) the unusual step of parting with BOTH Arland and Geroy unless he felt he had a reaonably good chance of re-signing Shawn Gore. I predict we'll soon see Shawn re-up when Wally opens the vault to keep him in orange and black. Just a hunch here but it will be a big contract.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Big Time
Champion

You have to wonder the impact playing in the cold is going to have on Geroy. He's had some hamstring problems the last two years and playing in the cold come fall is likely not going to help.

Will be very strange to see 81 wearing green.
joe kapp22
Legend

Difficult situation, Geroy, as any pro athlete should, believes he can keep on playing at a high level.

Wally B has to make the move he believes is right for the Franchise.

To me, it makes the matchup with the Riders all the more interesting this year.

Wonder who covers him?
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I am is complete shock. Not that the Lions parted ways but that any team would give the Lions anything back rather than just wait until he was released.

Are these numbers for real? ((((Geroy was making $205k. He'll make $165k with the Riders.))))

I wish Geroy Simon well and believe the Lions have handled this as best they could given what they believe. If you want to be as successful as WB has been you have to ensure your loyalty to a player doesn't get you making errors and getting yourself fired.

These things are also heavily influenced by a total SMS this year of $4.4 million for the football team so you don't get the situation like in the NHL where players aren't moving for money reasons like the CFL.

The worst case scenario is if his injury situation is not just a blip or as Sir P notes is if the HC treated him like they did Jason Clermont and took that team leader and marginalized him. Granted it put him back home working off season in his home city where he wanted to live but still that must have been hard to take a role as JC when he knew full well he was better than that.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

David wrote:I don't think Wally would have taken (what some might say) the unusual step of parting with BOTH Arland and Geroy unless he felt he had a reaonably good chance of re-signing Shawn Gore. I predict we'll soon see Shawn re-up when Wally opens the vault to keep him in orange and black. Just a hunch here but it will be a big contract.

DH :cool:
I agree, this will all make sense if the Lions can resign Shawn Gore. That is where the (relatively) big $ needs to be spent by the Lions.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:Yep, it's now official. WOW!!
In exchange, the Riders have sent import receiver Justin Harper and a 3rd Round pick in the 2014 Canadian College Draft to the B.C. Lions.
http://www.riderville.com/article/rider ... eroy-simon
Who the heck is Justin Harper ?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

squishy35 wrote:Image
So wrong in many ways
Hawkballer 14
Champion

Beyond pissed off...If there's one dude in the league that you give free reign to, it's #81. Money issue? Find the money. Playing time? He gets it. Wants to watch the practices in street clothes, let him.

Not at all a fan of this decision, Wally.

You know he's going to absolutely light us up this year, right?