Why don't Lions start Paris Jackson?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Start Jackson instead of Collins and have Jamal Lee, the back up fullback, also practice as a back up receiver. This would also allow Lions to put another import on D. This is what makes sense to me, but I am just a fan and not a knowledgeable O and 5 coach. :bang:
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Not sure if he is recovered but you must have missed Wally's media statements.

Wally said he has to phase these guys out and named Paris and Kamau Peterson specifically.

Translation: that means he won't play this year but he will be a starter next season as he realizes that he cannot find anyone better.

I base this on how they dealt with Angus Reid and Brent Johnson and they are are still here.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

A non-import can drop the football as well as any imports. Why bother dressing him if all he does is to sit on the sidelines ?
Anglophone
All Star

TheLionKing wrote:A non-import can drop the football as well as any imports. Why bother dressing him if all he does is to sit on the sidelines ?
In theory, yes. However, I think Collins is just too good at losing them to be beaten by Jackson in the drops department.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I think Jackson should be given an opportunity to see if he too can drop as many passes as Gore and Collins. :wink:
notahomer
Hall of Famer

IIRC, Buono's big PJ complaint in years past was his YAC yards. paraphrasing 'he makes the catch and then falls down'. That sounds like a improvment cuz at least he's catching the ball.
Rammer
Team Captain

notahomer wrote:IIRC, Buono's big PJ complaint in years past was his YAC yards. paraphrasing 'he makes the catch and then falls down'. That sounds like a improvment cuz at least he's catching the ball.
But who better reflects the current OC, Collins dropping the catchable ball, or PJ diving for the catch without any YAC.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
notahomer wrote:IIRC, Buono's big PJ complaint in years past was his YAC yards. paraphrasing 'he makes the catch and then falls down'. That sounds like a improvment cuz at least he's catching the ball.
But who better reflects the current OC, Collins dropping the catchable ball, or PJ diving for the catch without any YAC.
Bingo !! :thup: :thup:
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

Wally's use of Paris this year (or lack thereof) has been a major failing of his. He's got a slew of guys who can't catch a lick and one of the most sure-handed receivers on the team being underutilized. Paris isn't old at all so this whole "phase him out" excuse is a load of crap. Collins should be shown the door and Paris should see more targets.
Area51
All Star

jcalhoun wrote:
I dunno, I've never really been a fan of PJackson. As far as I'm concerned, he's a waste of space on the Lions' roster, and has been since last season. I'd cut him in a heartbeat.

You have no Canadian talent to make a move like that. They've had to resort to towing in Kelly Bates from the dump to meet NI requirements. Cut PJackson and who replaces him - - Matt Chapdelaine?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

One Chapdelaine is one too many for me.
Blitz
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:Not sure if he is recovered but you must have missed Wally's media statements.

Wally said he has to phase these guys out and named Paris and Kamau Peterson specifically.

Translation: that means he won't play this year but he will be a starter next season as he realizes that he cannot find anyone better.

I base this on how they dealt with Angus Reid and Brent Johnson and they are are still here.
Yup. 'ol Wally knows when to phase them out and then decide they were outstanding after all....or as members of the Player's Council, perhaps they bring other 'intangibles'. Reid went from bing a backup to team spokesman and his own radio show...quite the comeback.

There is no question that players as Gore, Innanuzzi, and Foster needed to be given opportunity. They are young players with talent. However, this was not the season to drop a vet like Paris Jackson out of the starting lineup nor start Peterson ahead of him when we needed to start another Canadian receiver. Paris Jackson is not a great YAK guy but he's very tall, rangy, and has very good hands along with being experienced. Jackson had two 1000 yard seasons before his injury plagued season last year and still Jackson got around 800 yards last year. This was not the season to drop him out of the starting lineup, with an inexperienced quarterback.

I would be starting Simon, Jackson, Gore, Foster and alternating Innanuzzi and Peterson. Collins would be dropped from the starting roster. I'd be looking at NFL cuts while also hoping Arsenault could return.

I would use the import on defense at safety and go with a 4-3 defense with Marsh at short corner, Banks at shortside halfback, bring back Hyland to play safety, move Phillips back to wideside halfback, play Williams at corner, and go with Kornegay to play nickel. Sanchez would be a backup or released.

At linebacker, it would allow us to play Eliminian at a pure middle linebacker. Using two interior linebackers is a waste with an import player when we have the range of Eliminian to play middle linebacker. Yarichuk is good enough to play outside linebacker on first down and running situations and we could take him out on second down and go with seven defensive backs, using either Dennis or Ruffin. Anton McKenzie would be released. On the defensive line, we could go with two of the following three at defensive tackle -Mitchell, Taylor or Hunt. We really need two import defensive ends who can get to the quarterback. Johnson is past his prime and we haven't replaced Foley at defensive end. NFL cuts loom ahead and if we can find one with potential Keron Williams needs to be released.

Right now we have an excellent offensive line and we need to build a running attack behind that talent and also to take some pressure off Lulay. Jarious Jackson also excelled when we had a good running attack. We also led the league in offence in 2007 when we had a dangerous and effective ground game. Using Harris and Brown and Lumbala (and eventually Lee) at running back makes sense. Robertson is not the future at 34 years old and with our squad at 0-5 its time to say goodbye to him.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)