Gotta blame this on the coaches

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lions33
Starter

This game was terrible
Great first Quarter
But what the hell happend to the offence for the rest of the game except for that last drive in the 4th
I have to blame it on the coaching, the playcalling was horrible. There is no way the offense should struggle that much in 3 freaking quarters. The coach needs to change up the calls, call shorter passes, free up paris jackson because of their were keying on simon. Have a rb screen because of all that pressure.
And then to top it off 2 f--- weeks in a row the defense lays back and lets the offense gets yards. And when Copelend got that 15 yard reception the defense was playing 15 yards back. So we basically gave them the 15 yards and the FG. That has to go to the DC there is no way that they defense should be playing that far off. Play some freaking bump and run.
There was absolutly no running game except for CP run. Casey still played pretty good, but its kinda hard to play really good if there is no running game and the OC cant change his gamepland
Thats all I gotta say. A very dissapointing game to say the least.
TAS
prospect

I'm starting to think that the coaching philosophy for the Lions is 'If it isn't neccesarily broken then don't be in a hurry to try fix it.' That would explain why it wasn't untill the fourth quarter when the Lions tried a different way to counter the blitz, by sending the RB out for a 'safety valve' for Printers. I guess the coaching staff was happy enough that our Offense wasn't getting scored on that they kept the blitz protection the same and then when in desparate need they seem to magically come up with an adjustment. They're just keeping thier cards close to thier chest until the games on the line. :thup:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Have to concur with Lions33's assessment. After the Lions took an early 10 pt. lead, the Stamps adjusted by bringing the blitz. As usual, Lions did nothing to counter the blitz. No screens, saw one draw, no running game. I think I heard on the post game that AJ Harris got 9 carries tonight. :bang:

After the Lions took the lead with a minute and half remaining, they went to a prevent zone defence. It might work when the opposition need a touchdown to win or tie. A prevent defence oftentimes prevents you from winning. The Stamps graciously took advantage of the Lions' generousity by prompting marching the field into field goal range and kick the winning score.
Lion_Pride_26
Legend

One thing that really made me shake my head was the 14 penalties we took. Most of them were Offside/Illegal Procedure penalties. :bang:
Don Miller
Legend

You can't expect the O line to have cohesion with Angus Reid out of there. Dean Valli and Sorensen on the line were no match for the stamps rush as well our run blocking was pretty well non existent. Jimenez also flagged twice for procedure and Rasouli. We are in tough with this makeshift line. Don't be suprised if WALLY throws another import on the O line against Edmonton. For sure this team is in a rebuilding year in spite of injuries. I can't understand why our db's were playing 12-15 yards away from Copeland. Again we overplayed the run on Reynolds and were beaten. Time to say bye to Chapdeline and bring in DD as our OC.
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Lion_Pride_26 wrote:One thing that really made me shake my head was the 14 penalties we took. Most of them were Offside/Illegal Procedure penalties. :bang:
The Lions took three procedure penalties, two on Jimenez and one on Haji-Rasouli. According to Wally, the penalties were largely the result of having a new centre. Tackles in particular have to move at the snap count to avoid being beaten by a speed rush to the outside. Jimenez was moving at the count but the snap was late, drawing a flag. The Haji-Rasouli penalty was the result of him coming out of his stance early when the Stamps showed blitz and a player charged into the neutral zone toward him. It was his fault, but a veteran centre might have snapped the ball when the defender jumped, drawing a Calgary offside penalty.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote: After the Lions took an early 10 pt. lead, the Stamps adjusted by bringing the blitz. As usual, Lions did nothing to counter the blitz. No screens, saw one draw, no running game. I think I heard on the post game that AJ Harris got 9 carries tonight. :bang:
EVERY team adjusts to BC by bringing the Blitz, because the Lions have no way to counter it. Seems like sound strategy.

Asking Chaps for a screen is like asking Rammer to test drive a Government Motors car, tho. Not going to happen.
Rammer
Team Captain

Solar Max wrote:
TheLionKing wrote: After the Lions took an early 10 pt. lead, the Stamps adjusted by bringing the blitz. As usual, Lions did nothing to counter the blitz. No screens, saw one draw, no running game. I think I heard on the post game that AJ Harris got 9 carries tonight. :bang:
EVERY team adjusts to BC by bringing the Blitz, because the Lions have no way to counter it. Seems like sound strategy.

Asking Chaps for a screen is like asking Rammer to test drive a Government Motors car, tho. Not going to happen.
:lol: Is that due to the poster Rammer or by GM not wanting him to to though? :) BTW, if it was a Corvette, I would be up for it, and I do like the new styling of many GM's, but not sold on the entire package. Now that is a solid segwway to get back on topic, as I am not sold on the packages that the Lion's D are using, Calgary knew exactly what they were going to see and low and behold they even knew how to take the Domefield advantage out of play running a hurry up offense. It is being able to try something new like that, along with knowing exactly what the opposition is going to do defensively that held the Lions from winning a few more GC from 2004 and on.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hufnagel was being somewhat disingenuous (not forthcoming) when he said the last team with the ball wins. He had the Lions' soft zone all practiced up with his no huddle offence. Like taking candy from a baby.

Robert E. Lee and Napoleon oftentimes said they knew what the enemy was going to do. No doubt they knew tendencies, and they could read the "body language" of the familiar movements.

With the Lions, we do not change at half time. We do not change during the year. We do not change in the off-season. Same old. Same old.

It will be the same tendencies (and schemes and plays) over and over again. The opponent could call out our signals for us pre-snap. And, in fact, other teams have commented on that. No doubt their coaches now tell them to shut up. Keep the advantage. Don't call out our plays or it will too obvious even to our coaches. They might be forced to change.

Mix it up. Keep 'em off balance. In such a small league we cannot get away with doing the same conservative stuff over and over again. Too big an advantage to the opponents.

Predictable? What we do is carved in stone.

Here comes the fastball right down the middle. Batter, get ready. Here comes the slow curve over the outside corner. Batter, get ready. Here comes the soft prevent zone. Offence do you know how to play against it? Have you practiced it? You're welcome.

Like taking candy from a baby.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Hufnagel was being somewhat disingenuous (not forthcoming) when he said the last team with the ball wins. He had the Lions' soft zone all practiced up with his no huddle offence.

Robert E. Lee and Napoleon oftentimes said they knew what the enemy was going to do. No doubt they knew tendencies, and they could read the "body language" of the familiar movements.

With the Lions, we do not change at half time. We do not change during the year. We do not change in the off-season. Same old. Same old.

It will be the same tendencies (and schemes and plays) over and over again. The opponent could call out our signals for us pre-snap. And, in fact, other teams have commented on that. No doubt their coaches now tell them to shut up. Keep the advantage. Don't call out our plays or it will too obvious even to our coaches. They might be forced to change.

Mix it up. Keep 'em off balance. In such a small league we cannot get away with doing the same conservative stuff over and over again. Too big an advantage to the opponents.

Here comes the fastball right down the middle. Batter, get ready. Here comes the slow curve over the outside corner. Batter, get ready. Here comes the soft prevent zone. Offence do you know how to play against it? Have you practiced it? You're welcome.

Good post WCJ.We've seen the same horror show for the past couple of seasons and frankly very tired of it. :bang:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Good post WCJ.We've seen the same horror show for the past couple of seasons and frankly very tired of it. :bang:
Thanks, TLK.

One more idea on this horrible excuse for a defence: Are there any teeth in the soft zone? No. You are only hoping for a mistake from the enemy. You are not challenging. You are not fighting. You are praying for deliverance. You are asking your opponent to please make a mistake. We are afraid to challenge you with some in-your-face pressure. After all you might beat us if we pressure you. We would rather die the slow death from the soft zone.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:Hufnagel was being somewhat disingenuous (not forthcoming) when he said the last team with the ball wins. He had the Lions' soft zone all practiced up with his no huddle offence.

All these sort comings you've mentioned, the inability or unwillingness to change and adapt to ongoing challenges of overcoming others teams coaching staffs, are all part and parcel of Wally Buono and his outdated philosophy on winning football games. Somewhere along the line he has decided he no longer has to make before game and in game adjustments to his conservative approach to the game. :bang:

That is tantamount to sitting down with a different chess master each week and using the same old ploy to win a new chess game every week. Neediness to say it won't be long before your reputation precedes you and just about every master you play knows the book on you. :bang:

The unfortunate thing is we will continue to be firmly mired in this morass so long as the top guy goes on pretending the emperor has wonderful new clothes, that there is nothing wrong with this kind of thinking, and insisting the real problem is in the execution of illusion being perpetuated. :bang:
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis