Disgraceful officiating CFL is bush league

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Blue In BC wrote:I was cheering for the Lions but still consider this as whining about poor officiating and it being unfair to the Lions.

Normally I don't get too emotional about bads calls. If you put a rock in each pocket for bad calls, one for one team and one for another, it usually evens out in this the year of the terrible officiating. This one however, would tip you over.

Putting aside the fact that Casey should have never thrown that ball - and that's indisputable - you simply cannot ignore the pass interference in the endzone. Would Simon have made that catch? Probably not because Jame Patrick was in a better position to catch it when it was in the air. But Simon was prevented from making a play on the ball. This business of "they held each other up" is absurd. What would Simon stand to gain from tying up a defender when he's trying to get open for a game winning catch?

The illegal block that sprung Jason Armstead and an obvious late hit on Printers by Chick I can deal with. A defender draped over our best pass receiver on the last play of the game I cannot.

"I have to admit if i was the ref i would of (sic) called it.But am not and the good guys won sweet." - Riderfan4life on CFL.com

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:
Blue In BC wrote:I was cheering for the Lions but still consider this as whining about poor officiating and it being unfair to the Lions.

Normally I don't get too emotional about bads calls. If you put a rock in each pocket for bad calls, one for one team and one for another, it usually evens out in this the year of the terrible officiating. This one however, would tip you over.

Putting aside the fact that Casey should have never thrown that ball - and that's indisputable - you simply cannot ignore the pass interference in the endzone. Would Simon have made that catch? Probably not because Jame Patrick was in a better position to catch it when it was in the air. But Simon was prevented from making a play on the ball. This business of "they held each other up" is absurd. What would Simon stand to gain from tying up a defender when he's trying to get open for a game winning catch?

The illegal block that sprung Jason Armstead and an obvious late hit on Printers by Chick I can deal with. A defender draped over our best pass receiver on the last play of the game I cannot.

"I have to admit if i was the ref i would of (sic) called it.But am not and the good guys won sweet." - Riderfan4life on CFL.com

DH
The biggest point being the clear path that Patrick had to the ball, that makes it a difficult call to make, unless you are going to say that the PI is a holding call. However that it was where the ball was going to our number 1 receiver with the game on the line is a valid point. However if you recall a WDF with the game on the line and CP tossing the ball into the endzone to Simon and an PI that wasn't called, you can see why this one wasn't.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TAS
prospect

"Did anyone else notice the Lions had 13 players on the field during the last play of overtime?"
No I didn't notice, but I did notice that Luca Congi wasn't penalized for taking off his helmet while still on the field after he missed the field goal with 2 seconds left to play. Is that still a penalty?............Anyways its all over, maybe we got one earlier in the season when our guy kicked the fumble forward and an offside Lion picked it up for a TD and this game a Rider interfered with a Lions receiver to prevent a possible game winning TD. We put up a good fight with our third straight road game with our fourth string QB. I think the Lions should start Casey Printers in this years Grey Cup Game. :thup:
ilovetheriders
Starter

Yep we got away with one, but all is fair because of the unfair call on John Chick against Calgary. Even Hufnagel disagreed with the call.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

ilovetheriders wrote:Yep we got away with one, but all is fair because of the unfair call on John Chick against Calgary. Even Hufnagel disagreed with the call.
When Burris was hit he was behind the LOS and fell to the ground backwards. That put him in a defenseless position where it was obvious that no further attempt was being made to move forward.

OTOH, the hit on Printers diving head first . I got the impression Chick dove over him and didn't pancake on top of him.

So I agree with the call in the Calgary game and the non call in the Rider game.
ziggy
Legend

Rammer wrote:
Even from our side if Murphy did it, as he is on with the O and I am sure that wouldn't sit well with our QB. :)

Chick's hit looked worse than the OT one he got flagged for on Burris, but it was Burris afterall.
Yeah I realize Murphy was on the O line otherwise he wouldn't have pinned Chick last year:good: My point however was that these same fans who screamed about dirty players, dirty coaches etc seem to have changed their tunes. They were calling for Murphy to be banned last year and calling the Lions the dirtiest team in the CFL! Yet when their player commits the same foul on two different teams QB's in back to back games they are strangely silent. I don't buy Chick is not trying to injure. I thought yesteray it looked like he dragged his knees to ensure he hit Printers. Once could be a mistake, but twice? I think the Lions should be sending in the video tape and asking whether or not it was a foul.
Green ThruNThru
prospect

Simple Simon said to the linesman

"Why didn't you throw your flag?"

Said the linesman to Simple Simon

"Shut up and play more like Bagg!"
ziggy
Legend

Green ThruNThru wrote:Simple Simon said to the linesman

Or was it
Super Simon said to the linesman
" Hey homer throw that flag"
Said the linesman to Super Simon
''I can't, I got a Rider payoff in a bag"

Back under your Bridge troll
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Image Image
Real women wear orange!!
LFITQ
Team Captain

From Matt Cauz's article on CFL.ca
http://www.cfl.ca/article/cauz-s-monday ... qb-week-17
...But the officials easily could have called pass interference as well. Omarr Morgan was all over Geroy Simon, holding him right before the pass was thrown. I was surprised more wasn’t made of it.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Rammer
Team Captain

LFITQ wrote:From Matt Cauz's article on CFL.ca
http://www.cfl.ca/article/cauz-s-monday ... qb-week-17
...But the officials easily could have called pass interference as well. Omarr Morgan was all over Geroy Simon, holding him right before the pass was thrown. I was surprised more wasn’t made of it.
We should do the Rider thing, send a ton of e-mails to Higgins so that he can place his foot in his mouth about the call.
Entertainment value = an all time low
LFITQ
Team Captain

We couldn't muster enough e-mails. Besides, Higgins wouldn't even bat an eye at it coming from the Left coast.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I hate that we lost and I don't care much for the Riders either but the fact is, a couple of times earlier in the season, we benefited from Ref errors (insert Montreal}. What is done is done, Refs have been inconsistent every year that I can remember in recent memory. I don't hold out much hope that they will ever get it "right". What we can take out of this is that we could have won the game, in their house, with a rusty QB, third game in a row on the road and a large cast of walking wounded. We need to remember that, the Riders most assuredly will. We can take that team and they know it and so do their fans.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Green ThruNThru
prospect

ziggy wrote:

Or was it
Super Simon said to the linesman
" Hey homer throw that flag"
Said the linesman to Super Simon
''I can't, I got a Rider payoff in a bag"

Back under your Bridge troll
Blatant outright plagiarism!!!! Lol, come on guys, lighten up a bit......the verse was just a little play on words.....Geroy has been a Rider killer many times in the past....just taking a bit of a poke at him
BCLions4Ever
Rookie

Sir Purrcival wrote:I hate that we lost and I don't care much for the Riders either but the fact is, a couple of times earlier in the season, we benefited from Ref errors (insert Montreal}. What is done is done, Refs have been inconsistent every year that I can remember in recent memory. I don't hold out much hope that they will ever get it "right". What we can take out of this is that we could have won the game, in their house, with a rusty QB, third game in a row on the road and a large cast of walking wounded. We need to remember that, the Riders most assuredly will. We can take that team and they know it and so do their fans.
I believe we benefited twice from poor officiating (the Montreal touchdown issue, and the forward kick against Saskatchewan), and guess what? It was the same officiating team led by Higgins in both of those games!! The guy is a mess, but his mess helped us out twice, so we can't say too much about the blown pass interfwerence in this game.