Hufnagel Coach of the Year

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

Hufnagel Named 2008 CFL Coach of the Year

Hamilton, ON - (March 3, 2009) - Calgary Stampeder head coach John Hufnagel was named the 2008 CFL Coach of the Year this afternoon at the CFL Congress in Hamilton, Ontario.

Hufnagel was presented the Annis Stukus trophy by CFL Commissioner Mark Cohon. The trophy is awarded annually to the league's best coach as voted by the Football Reporters of Canada (FRC).

"Our coaches are all tremendous teachers, motivators, mentors and leaders, and no coach epitomizes this more than John Hufnagel," said Cohon. "On behalf of the Board of Governors, and fans from across the country, congratulations to John Hufnagel, a well-deserving recipient of this coaching honour."

In his inaugural season as head coach, Hufnagel led the Calgary Stampeders to first place in the West Division for the first time since 2000, posting a 13-5 regular season record, tops in the CFL. Their success continued into the playoffs as the Stamps defeated the BC Lions in the West Final, before claiming the ultimate prize: a 22-14 victory over the Montreal Alouettes in the Grey Cup.

Hufnagel's leadership was best displayed during a pre-game speech to his team before taking the field, and eventually winning the 96th Grey Cup. Click here to watch the video or visit CFL.ca.

First Place Ballots:

John Hufnagel CGY 37

Marc Trestman MTL 8

Ken Miller SSK 2

Calgary Stampeders Coach of the Year Recipients:

2005 -- Tom Higgins

1993 -- Wally Buono

1992 -- Wally Buono

1978 -- Jack Gotta

1967 -- Jerry Williams
Entertainment value = an all time low
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Good call. John Hufnagel and Marc Trestman both deserve credit for bringing some fresh ideas to the league and achieving tremendous success in their first year as head coach.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

No surprise here. Well deserved :thup:
zark
Champion

That 's a no brainer. What a great job.
Is he destined for NFL? More money? Like I said, ...Great job.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
ziggy
Legend

Well deserved.
korey&dante4ever
Champion

Yep, well deserved... turned that '07 calgary team around in a hurry, and they got better as the season progressed.
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Well deserved win, Hufnagel would have been my choice had I had a vote.

BUT, I am surprised at how well Trestman adjusted/adapted to the CFL game.
airkore
Rookie

I would give him the award just for that Grey Cup speech ! Congrats Hufnagel.
Section 16
Level 2
Row D
Greatest Lions reciever of all time Mervyn Fernandez