The New Canucks With Sundin Signed In Vancouver!

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

tigerrr22
Starter

I'd go with these line combos with a healthy line up.

LEFT WING........CENTRE........RIGHT WING
Wellwood..........Sundin.........Demitra
D. Sedin............H.Sedin........Hansen
Burrows............Kesler..........Bernier
Raymond.........Johnson......Hordichuk

Pyatt, Rypien, Brown your healthy scratches. Also Sundin and Wellwood could swap from centre to wing. Also Demitra shoots left on the right wing. Sundin shoots right. So you could put Wellwood at centre with Demitra on left wing and Sundin on right wing. (Wellwood might be better suited to play centre. He's 5"10 and weighs 180 pounds. Not a lot of forechecking grit playing on left wing.)

The Sedin twins can excel with Sundin drawing the primary attention of defensive shut down players around the league, as second liners. Going up against the opponents' secondary checkers could see the twins excel in the remaining regular season. Also the Kesler line could play as your second line when the Canucks have the lead. The Sedins as your second line when the Canucks are trailing.

With the playoffs I would seriously consider turning the Sedin twins and Hansen into the third line. The Sedins have a knack of disappearing when the going gets tough. The Kesler line has the playoff traits needed to find success in the playoffs. Also the Canucks new first unit powerplay can be Sundin with Wellwood and maybe Kesler. I would turn the twins into the second unit powerplay from here on in. They are mediocre at best as the top unit powerplay. The powerplay is not good enough as it stands today to win a Cup.

I think the Sundin signing is terrific news for Canucks fans. The key is that the chemistry not be jolted by this. Sundin needs to be eased into the line up. Maybe getting third line minutes to start his season for a while along with some powerplay time. He needs to adopt the work ethic of the Canucks (like former fellow Toronto Country Club member Kyle Wellwood did) and become a member of this on ice family of good team chemistry. The coaches need to make sure this Swedish big money ticket does not divide the dressing room and that any of the players start to think about dollars and cents until the off season.

A day or two after the Trevor Linden #16 jersey number retirement ceremony sees the Canucks getting the headlines in press coverage from coast to coast. There is a buzz here and with Luongo in net, after his injured groin is healed, (He must not be rushed back into the lineup) I think the team has a real shot at going far this season.

San Jose, Detroit, Calgary, Chicago, Anaheim all Western Conference teams that are in the mix as contenders early on to play for the Cup. Huge player salaries are overated. The NHL is a team game and coaches, with positional systems implemented, are beating individual player talent in the win/loss columns in the modern NHL. Still you need two lines that can score, an effective powerplay and exceptional goaltending. The Canucks appear to have this now with Sundin in the line up soon.

Johnny Canuck
Vancouver 8)
Last edited by tigerrr22 on Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
airkore
Rookie

Should this topic not be on a Canuck web site?
FYI,
I believe the Canucks have a website for this stuff
Section 16
Level 2
Row D
Greatest Lions reciever of all time Mervyn Fernandez
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

airkore wrote:Should this topic not be on a Canuck web site?
FYI,
It's easy enough to miss if you only click on "view new posts" every time you log in (as I do), but this is the "All Sports" section of the board, which is intended for non-CFL sports discussion. "Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!" is the directive given for this forum on the board's home page.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
D
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:
FYI,
It's easy enough to miss if you only click on "view new posts" every time you log in (as I do), but this is the "All Sports" section of the board, which is intended for non-CFL sports discussion. "Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!" is the directive given for this forum on the board's home page.
:whs:
I own The Grey Cup! .com
Soundy
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
FYI,
airkore = epic fail
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
airkore
Rookie

I'm not a "Nucklhead" fan soundy and hate the thought of a Sundin thread on this site.My mistake.

Thanks for your insightful reply!

Merry Christmas!
Section 16
Level 2
Row D
Greatest Lions reciever of all time Mervyn Fernandez
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

airkore wrote:I'm not a "Nucklhead" fan soundy and hate the thought of a Sundin thread on this site.My mistake.

Thanks for your insightful reply!

Merry Christmas!
did you know that on canucks.com, they actually talk lions sometimes. go figure
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Soundy
Hall of Famer

airkore wrote:I'm not a "Nucklhead" fan soundy and hate the thought of a Sundin thread on this site.
Then perhaps you should avoid the "All Sports" forum altogether, since the concept of "Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!" seems to disagree with you.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

With the playoffs I would seriously consider turning the Sedin twins and Hansen into the third line.
But I'm confused. I thought they used foursomes in golf....