Bills Exhibition Game in Toronto a ticket giveaway disaster

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

DerekDD
Starter

Bills Exhibition Game in Toronto a ticket giveaway disaster

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/ ... b6a0bb&p=1

its a disaster. We're all laughing at Ted Rogers.

:beer:
bclions16
Champion

DerekDD wrote:Bills Exhibition Game in Toronto a ticket giveaway disaster

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Rammer
Team Captain

Heard this yesterday on the TEAM, Don Taylor said there were tons of tickets being handed out at the SN office, according to Pratt. Really they had no other choice but to find butts for seats, and still save some face, or the next 9 games wouldn't even be required.

As an aside, how was the game, I haven't seen any reports on the game presentation or onfield product?
Entertainment value = an all time low
LFITQ
Team Captain

Moved to the ALL Sports forum as it is NFL ball and not CFL ball.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
No Ka Oi
Starter

yep, Rogers (& Maple Leafs' Peddie) are giving Ralph Wilson $78 million to essentially rent the Bills for 5 regular season games! I guess the old saying "there's no fool like an old fool" is apt in this case, but I feel sorryest for the thousands of shmuck's who paid face value for the tickets.

Rogers has denied the ticket giveaways (except to Armed Forces & charities), but all the media is reporting case after case of people walking up and giving away $500 worth of tickets to strangers, and that over 15,000 tickets were given away. Rogers first scrapped the minimum 3-game pack and sold tickets individually...then he reduced the ticket prices by half, ...then the massive ticket giveaway to avoid disaster.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Montgomery said he was thrilled with the results of Thursday's game.

"It's way more than encouraging," he said. "We are ... in the middle of the Olympics, we're in the middle of a flooded summer where it rains every day and in a preseason game we have a packed stadium. How can that not be a great star to this series?"

This is patent B.S. When it's 7 pm in Toronto it's 7 am in Beijing (at least according to my iPhone World Clock). Not a lot of live Olympic events on then anyway. And the rainy weather would give more reason for people to go to a game rather than pursue otherwise normal summertime activities.
Bobbyp
Champion

Maybe they are just too stupid to know that the Olympics were on at that time. I know I was only given about 8 years notice... We all know the reasons why noone showed up and also thats what you get for going up against a CFL GAME. What the hell did they expect.
Some mispelling may or may not occur as well as using a word incorrectly in my posts
READER CAUTION IS STRICTLY ADVISED
MacNews
Team Captain

Lions4ever wrote: in a preseason game we have a packed stadium. How can that not be a great star to this series?"

This is patent B.S. When it's 7 pm in Toronto it's 7 am in Beijing (at least according to my iPhone World Clock). Not a lot of live Olympic events on then anyway. And the rainy weather would give more reason for people to go to a game rather than pursue otherwise normal summertime activities.
Plus it wasn't even a sell-out! Guilty, on all three counts.
MacNews
Team Captain

"Rogers is not bringing the Bills up to Toronto to make money," he said. "What we've said from the very beginning is that we want to create a festival of football. We want to do something special for Toronto.

"There are far better ways for Rogers to make money than to bring the NFL here for a couple games. This is about giving back to the city of Toronto. This is about giving fans something they don't have. Regular-season NFL football has never been in this country before."
Hey, don't sweat it spokes-man. I hear you. I spend $78 million not so I can make money, but so I can give back to my city too, I do it all the time!

:tease:

Who is this guy? The Iraqi Information Minister?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:Montgomery said he was thrilled with the results of Thursday's game.

"It's way more than encouraging," he said. "We are ... in the middle of the Olympics, we're in the middle of a flooded summer where it rains every day and in a preseason game we have a packed stadium. How can that not be a great star to this series?"

What a crock ! Totally BS and he know it. With the performance of our athletes over in Beijing, how many are really watching the Olympics ?
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Glad all in all. Toronto is and should remain a CFL city. I'm surprised the tickets had to be given away but the ticket prices sounded :shock:
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hey DerekDD,

Just a slight correction to your post which should have read:

It's fantastic. We're all laughing at Red Rogers.

That part of the story where they seem to blow off the Olympics is demeaning to every Canadian athlete who is in Beijiing or Hong Kong working their backsides off to win a medal for their hard work and representing our country.
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

hmmm, lets think, buy A ticket for a PRESEASON NFL game for 250, or get argo's season tickets for about the same.....hmmm, i wonder why they had to give away so many tickets........i love some of the ignorant comments on sportsnet.ca where ppl are saying finally some REAL football....yea, cause those 3-0, 9-6 games are soooooo entertaining. I like the NFL, but i love the CFL.....multiple lead changes in the final minutes, the long wide feild, returning missed kicks, the nfl is so predictable unless you have two upper echelon teams playing....run, run, pass, punt ain't that enjoyable, at least to me.....the NFL should stay in the states
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E