Bobby Ackles Place

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

It is with shock and horror that I read about the untimely passing of the greatest man in BC Lion history. In thinking about an appropriate tribute to Bobby, in my mind there is only one truly appropriate tribute......the immediate renaming of BC Place to Bobby Ackles Place.

After all, Bobby was instrumental in the construction of BC Place in downtown Vancouver against much opposition......so if it is anyone's place, it is his.

In a day and age where naming rights on stadiums/arenas are sold for profit, it would be a travesty if it was called anything other than Bobby Ackles Place.
Lloyd
DerekDD
Starter

Shi Zi Mi wrote:It is with shock and horror that I read about the untimely passing of the greatest man in BC Lion history. In thinking about an appropriate tribute to Bobby, in my mind there is only one truly appropriate tribute......the immediate renaming of BC Place to Bobby Ackles Place.

After all, Bobby was instrumental in the construction of BC Place in downtown Vancouver against much opposition......so if it is anyone's place, it is his.

In a day and age where naming rights on stadiums/arenas are sold for profit, it would be a travesty if it was called anything other than Bobby Ackles Place.
i am totally with you on that.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

100% agreed Lloyd! :beauty: Sadly though, I don't think it will happen immediately for this reason:
BC Place is a division of PavCo (BC Pavilion Corporation), a Crown Corporation of the Province of British Columbia, Ministry of Tourism, Culture and the Arts,
The province rarely does anything immediately. The only time I could see it being done is after the renos have been completed. Here's hoping.
Real women wear orange!!
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I'm on the record in previous posts saying I have always felt the stadium should have been named in honour of Terry Fox. Today I no longer feel that way anymore. No less respect for Terry Fox, but Bobby Ackles Place just seems like the most appropriate name for the stadium now.

But like CatsEyes has pointed out, it's not likely to happen soon.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

...especially as the lions are only tenants in BC Place. I believe they would need to have a controlling interest in the thing to change the name....but perhaps it will happen.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I am guessing this govt would rather call it Olympic Place.

Maybe the next govt might do the right thing, but not this one, not Campbell. Never.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

There are some things in this world that just shouldn't be for sale, especially when it comes to potentially honoring a great man's legacy. I don't care how much corporate dollars could be generated with the naming rights of BC Place, renaming the dome in Bob's memory once the renovations are complete would be the right and honorable thing to do. Besides, if it wasn't for Bob fighting so hard to keep that dome there, the gov't wouldn't even have the opportunity to make money off of it in the first place.
obs
Champion

I heard (on Pratt and Taylor) that the Lions will have the paw logo on their helmets, with 'Bob' on it, for the rest of the season.

Maybe they should rename from BC Lions -> BC Bob Cats :).
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

obs wrote:I heard (on Pratt and Taylor) that the Lions will have the paw logo on their helmets, with 'Bob' on it, for the rest of the season.

Maybe they should rename from BC Lions -> BC Bob Cats :).
I think hamilton might have first dibs on that one.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Bob Ackles Memorial Stadium has a nice ring to it.
Honour Dewalt
Champion

I like Bob Ackles Memorial or just Bobby Ackles Stadium, but I do not like calling it "Place". I'm nitpicking, but I've never understood why this city calls its arenas and stadiums "Places". I find that so boring. It goes without saying that its a place.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

CatsEyes wrote:100% agreed Lloyd! :beauty: Sadly though, I don't think it will happen immediately for this reason:
BC Place is a division of PavCo (BC Pavilion Corporation), a Crown Corporation of the Province of British Columbia, Ministry of Tourism, Culture and the Arts,
The province rarely does anything immediately. The only time I could see it being done is after the renos have been completed. Here's hoping.
The provincial government does lots of things immediately. Lots of them. If they want to raise taxes, remove rights, cancel contract, impose new bans or fees or change law to benefit their favoured special interests they move very swiftly indeed. And I'm not being jokingly cynical here. Plain fact.
David
Team Captain

While the sentiment is touching, and commendable to be sure, you're putting Pavco in a hell of bind if they're relying on naming rights as a source of much needed revenue for the BC Place refurbishment. I'm not usually a proponent of speaking for the deceased, as in "he would have wanted it that way," but in this case, Bob Ackles the businessman and humble guy that he was probably would not want BC Place posthumously named after him at the expense of much needed money for the club or stadium coffers.

Would an equally fitting tribute not be to rename Beatty Street from Georgia Street to Smithe "Bob Ackles Way"? After all, it's a stretch of road that's closed to traffic for a massive celebration of CFL football prior to every home game. Failing that, how about the stretch of road along Pacific Boulevard that he took to work every day being named "Bob Ackles Boulevard" with a statue erected in his honor that will face the new Art Gallery? At the risk of sounding too maudlin, painting was a big hobby of his.

Of course, I am greatly in favour a league trophy in his honor as well as an amateur football trophy in his name. But as much as I like the thought behind it, I'm just not sure an eponymously named stadium is the right tribute.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Good points, David! The major consensus of the radio guys yesterday seemed to echo your thoughts. Bob the business man would go for the $$! :beauty: I like the idea of the road re-naming. That's something that would be easier to do, I would think, and would be just as important a tribute.
Real women wear orange!!
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

CatsEyes wrote:Good points, David! The major consensus of the radio guys yesterday seemed to echo your thoughts. Bob the business man would go for the $$! :beauty: I like the idea of the road re-naming. That's something that would be easier to do, I would think, and would be just as important a tribute.
I concur. Hey, I'd love to see the stadium named after someone very important (previously I had wanted Terry Fox, today I suggest Bob Ackles) but for all the reasons David pointed out it probably won't happen. And as CatsEyes mentioned, it might not be want Bobby would have wanted anyway.

I love the idea of renaming the stretch of road where fans have their street parties! It just seems so appropriate.