Why not try this

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

ok, your down by less that 9, less than a minute to go, you got the ball, its 4th and 30. Time for a hail mary? How about a different type of hail mary.
from the 10 yard line, a punter can kick the ball almost straight up in the air and have it land 10-20 yards away. Used to do it all the time when I practiced catching my own punts. Actually kickers should try that a lot because if your team is warned of the attempt and holds back til they know where the ball is going, then there can be a good chance of the ball bouncing off the shoulders of a receiving team blocker. Also, some find those kind of high straight up type kicks harder to catch. This could (I think would) create more chances of fumble recovery.
over the yrs, I recovered so many of my own kicks this way. I know there is a difference but it could still work, sometimes.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
LFITQ
Team Captain

KnowItAll wrote:ok, your down by less that 9, less than a minute to go, you got the ball, its 4th and 30. Time for a hail mary? How about a different type of hail mary.
from the 10 yard line, a punter can kick the ball almost straight up in the air and have it land 10-20 yards away. Used to do it all the time when I practiced catching my own punts. Actually kickers should try that a lot because if your team is warned of the attempt and holds back til they know where the ball is going, then there can be a good chance of the ball bouncing off the shoulders of a receiving team blocker. Also, some find those kind of high straight up type kicks harder to catch. This could (I think would) create more chances of fumble recovery.
over the yrs, I recovered so many of my own kicks this way. I know there is a difference but it could still work, sometimes.
Considering it is 4th and 30, I don't think it is possible as I beleive the NFL doesn't have the same "onside" rules as the CFL. Thus the punt returners constantly letting the ball bounce only to be grounded by the kicking team. In the CFL that NEVER happens because the kicker can come down and recover the ball, or there can be an onside player that can recover it.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:ok, your down by less that 9, less than a minute to go, you got the ball, its 4th and 30. Time for a hail mary? How about a different type of hail mary.
Considering it is 4th and 30, I don't think it is possible as I beleive the NFL doesn't have the same "onside" rules as the CFL. Thus the punt returners constantly letting the ball bounce only to be grounded by the kicking team. In the CFL that NEVER happens because the kicker can come down and recover the ball, or there can be an onside player that can recover it.
yes, I am only talking CFL. Not sure how your CFL comment addresses my suggestion?? To me, it seems to support the possibility??
uncle leo
Starter

I don't know about the CFL but in Amatuer football in Canada the refs would blow the whistle if the ball looks like it is headed for a big crowd of players. I would forsee a bunch of no yard penalties aswell. Keeping with your theme, this year we had our punter kick the ball to the first down markers and jump on the ball. It worked.

If your thinking of a Punt/Hail-Mary, throw the ball 10 -20 yards then punt the ball and score a TD. Like the Stamps didn't do a couple years ago in BC. :roll:
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I would forsee a bunch of no yard penalties
thats why you give a heads up to your own players to be extra carefull and be aware of where the ball is.