Christmas Presents - Do You Re-gift?

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

In light of the Christmas season when gifts are exchanged, I have some questions about what I consider to be a particular habit of quite a few people. You can confess whether or not you have ever done this.

I have two questions regarding gifts that you have received:

#1.
Do you ever re-gift the present that you received? In other words, if someone gives you a present for Christmas or for your birthday that you clearly do not like and do not want to keep, do you re-wrap it and give it away to someone else as a gift of your own? When it comes to Christmas presents, do you take a peek at the gift before Christmas Day so that you can re-gift it if necessary? Now obviously when you re-gift, you had better make sure that the new recipient does not know the person who gave you the gift.

#2.
When unwrapping Christmas presents, do you carefully peel off the tape so that the wrapping paper is not destroyed and can be saved? You would then re-use the wrapping paper for next Christmas or someone's birthday gift.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

How expansive is your definition of re-gift?

WOuld that include taking things from people's room and trying to disguise it as a stocking stuffer? That would be my mother.

Everything I give, including orgasms to my gf, are new and never recycled. :twisted:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

1) Re-gift - Definitely no. If it is clothing I would exchange it for the right size or colour. If it is something I can't use, I would donate it to a charity such as Salvation Army

2) Unwrapping presents. The fastest way possible in our house.

Is this a problem in your household Robbie ?
O'Shea

1) Re-gifting is a horrible practice... I would never do it.

2) Unwrapping. Medium pace, semi-careful with the wrap... only because it is easier to cart away if not all balled up.

I'm not a huge fan of Christmas. :roll:
MacNews
Team Captain

Re-gifting, now that was a funny Seinfeld episode! :rockin:

No I do not re-gift.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Is this a problem in your household Robbie ?
Well, I wouldn't say it's a problem. But when I was young, I observed my parents doing that all the time for gifts they received that they did not need. So when they in turn gave it away as gifts themselves, I thought that was a good and smart thing to do. It was only much later that I found out that it was not a good thing to do.

I believe such a practice is still very common, so I wanted to know your thoughts on it.

And Canuck_4_Life, your description is not within my definition. My definition only pertains to new gifts that you received that you felt you didn't want so you turned it into a gift for someone else without actually using the item. In that case, it's as good as new. It doesn't involve taking old items around the house and using them as gifts.
Charlene

I've never re-gifted anything...well sometimes i'll buy something for myself and then decide i don't want it and then give it to someone else...does that count? =P

When opening presents, i destroy that wrapping paper :wink: That stuff is cheap and i always have tons...no need to reuse it...though i guess that would be better for the environment.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

If re-gifting means rewrapping a gift and giving it to someone else as a gift from you......then NO.

But if re-gifting means taking a gift you have received and giving it to someone else with the explanation that "I can't make use of this, would you like it....but, you have to keep it a secret so as not to hurt <insert name here>'s feelings ", then Yes.......I've done this quite a few times........usually when my kids are staring at my newly opened gift with huge eyes of envy. :yes: :lol:
Lloyd
Legal Leo
Starter

nothing wrong with giving someone a gift U don't use.. but be careful you remember where it came from, cause sometimes U forget who gave it to you and actually give it back to them 2 years later :lol:
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

No i dont regift and i rip that paper like it was my worst enemy! lol
2012 Season Ticket Holder
MrsLFITQ

I don't have a problem with re-gifting as long as it is done carefully so the original giver does not get their feelings hurt. It also depends on the item. If it is a clothes item that you can't exchange then charity or just giving away is a good idea rather than re-gifting (eg Aunt Sue gave me this, but I can't use it, so you can have it Mom). My family has often used known re-gifting for things like baskets (keep what was in the basket, fill it with something else, and pass it on). In the past I've received ceramic containers that would just gather dust, so I've filled them with goodies and given them on to someone else.
LFITQ
Team Captain

MrsLFITQ wrote:I don't have a problem with re-gifting as long as it is done carefully so the original giver does not get their feelings hurt. It also depends on the item. If it is a clothes item that you can't exchange then charity or just giving away is a good idea rather than re-gifting (eg Aunt Sue gave me this, but I can't use it, so you can have it Mom). My family has often used known re-gifting for things like baskets (keep what was in the basket, fill it with something else, and pass it on). In the past I've received ceramic containers that would just gather dust, so I've filled them with goodies and given them on to someone else.
I thought that gift last year you gave me looked me familiar!!! :shock: :shock:
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Photog
Legend

normally i would not regift, but i had to out of necessity this year. my secret santa at work gave me a dvd i already have.
The Official Has-Been.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

If it's practical, and it seldom is, I regift. Sometimes you get a gift that would be just great...for someone else. Why keep it yourself?

Gift wrap is meant to be destroyed in as brutal a manner as possible. Rip it to shreads without mercy. :)
hexx

my grandparents still re-use giftwrap. they are from a generation when nothing was wasted.