2024 CFL draft (Lion's picks)

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

OV:54-40 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:10 pm
Ok - so Ringland & States-McClean added to Greene, Bagayago & Rene = pretty decent collection/competition of Canadian secondary guys. They could maybe think of a National starting at both corner and safety on the D (doubtful, but maybe?)
The Lions have signed 2 former NFLers whose experience could give them a shot at a starting spot, LB Tyrell Adams and DB Duke Dawson. I still think Bagayogo and Greene will be in the mix. Both showed well when called on late in the season. Bagayogo could probably benefit from another year as a backup but he made huge strides for a raw rookie who looked lost in training camp. Rene and States-McClean both lined up at halfback in training camp last year and didn’t look out of place. Rene won a backup job based on experience special teams play.
David
Team Captain

I have not seen a depth chart but I believe it's Greene's job to lose at safety. He acquitted himself very well on Teams and admirably filled in for Mauger at safety last year. I would expect Charlie Ringland to be #2 on the depth chart at safety but I have not seen anything on this. I would expect the club's priority is to make this position a National one in '24.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Adams not going for the big bucks is admirable.

I assume as he lives in or near Seattle that staying in BC is a good thing as his family doesn't come here. Not dissimilar to Michael Reilly moving to BC to be closer to his wife and kids at home not far from Vancouver.
“I knew for us to get the players — Hollins, Hatch, Cottoy, Sione (Teuhema), some of these guys, Ben (Hladik), Woods, all these guys — I knew I had to take less. I couldn’t be in the top three (highest-paid) area, which I felt like I am as a player. I think the team is more important and that’s why I took less this year.”
https://3downnation.com/2024/02/23/the- ... st-season/
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Pretty sure Adams lives just south of Seattle towards Tacoma. Money is money but there are financial intangibles for American players who can play so close to their permanent residence. It's impossible to put an actual dollar figure on that but it could be worth who knows how many thousand $ for Adams to be able to pop back home, or for his family to zip up to homes games, for a day or so literally every week during the season. That as opposed to having to wait for one of the 3 bye weeks.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:19 pm
OV:54-40 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:10 pm
Ok - so Ringland & States-McClean added to Greene, Bagayago & Rene = pretty decent collection/competition of Canadian secondary guys. They could maybe think of a National starting at both corner and safety on the D (doubtful, but maybe?)
The Lions have signed 2 former NFLers whose experience could give them a shot at a starting spot, LB Tyrell Adams and DB Duke Dawson. I still think Bagayogo and Greene will be in the mix. Both showed well when called on late in the season. Bagayogo could probably benefit from another year as a backup but he made huge strides for a raw rookie who looked lost in training camp. Rene and States-McClean both lined up at halfback in training camp last year and didn’t look out of place. Rene won a backup job based on experience special teams play.
Agreed on Bagayogo. Struggled in camp but raw athletic ability showed. Improved thru the season but needs at least another year of grooming. Bagayogo's draft profile pointed to a pure press coverage shutdown type CB, albeit still somewhat raw due to his relative inexperience. He never took up football until it was too late to play high school ball. Very fluid with movements and long body to break up plays. Tackling was not a strength nor was physicality making him even that much more of a project for conversion to safety.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:42 am
More than half of all CFL coaches are ex-CFL players. About half of those who didn't play in the CFL played USports football.

Out of BC's staff only Rick Campbell, Jordan Maksymic, Mike Benevides and Tanya Henderson didn't play CFL or USports Football. Maksymic played Edmonton HS football though and Campbell of course has been immersed in the CFL since he was in diapers.

What probably hurts former players more than anything is there just aren't that many entry-level opportunities in the first place due to only 9 teams x max 11 positions with 1/3 of positions being more senior level in HCs and Coordinators. Probably about 2/3 of position coaches are ex-CFL players.
Admittedly, I hadn't considered other cases that are really valid as to what I was driving at such as those you note with BC now!
I didn't take into account Rick Campbell who is unquestionable in my mind a CFLer given his background in Canada and football here nor the others who are local born and raised products. I doubt anyone would question Rick Campbell as being an import and I guess that is not the kind of person I'd want excluded for an ex player.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:17 pm
Hambone wrote:
More than half of all CFL coaches are ex-CFL players. About half of those who didn't play in the CFL played USports football.

Out of BC's staff only Rick Campbell, Jordan Maksymic, Mike Benevides and Tanya Henderson didn't play CFL or USports Football. Maksymic played Edmonton HS football though and Campbell of course has been immersed in the CFL since he was in diapers.

What probably hurts former players more than anything is there just aren't that many entry-level opportunities in the first place due to only 9 teams x max 11 positions with 1/3 of positions being more senior level in HCs and Coordinators. Probably about 2/3 of position coaches are ex-CFL players.
Admittedly, I hadn't considered other cases that are really valid as to what I was driving at such as those you note with BC now!
I didn't take into account Rick Campbell who is unquestionable in my mind a CFLer given his background in Canada and football here nor the others who are local born and raised products. I doubt anyone would question Rick Campbell as being an import and I guess that is not the kind of person I'd want excluded for an ex player.
Given the very small number of coaching and football ops jobs compared to the number of players ending their careers every year there just aren't many opportunities. This offseason saw Mike Miller and David Brown retire as players to take coaching jobs with Winnipeg and Montreal respectively. There's also coaches who started out paying their dues from the very lowest levels; like catching on as strength & conditioning coaches (Mark Kilam) or video coordinators (Jordan Maksymic). Maksymic's first exposure to coaching, sort of, was as a water boy at Stampeders TC back in 2006. As much as it would be nice to create more opportunities for ex-players I don't think they should shut the doors on folks who are willing to start on the ground floor in other Canadian grassroots levels?

Another initiative the CFL has going is the Mentorship program for current and former players to learn something, job shadow etc to see if post career work in other areas of football or business ops is desirable for them.

https://3downnation.com/2024/02/20/rich ... p-program/
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:31 pm
Toppy Vann wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:17 pm
Hambone wrote:

Given the very small number of coaching and football ops jobs compared to the number of players ending their careers every year there just aren't many opportunities. This offseason saw Mike Miller and David Brown retire as players to take coaching jobs with Winnipeg and Montreal respectively. There's also coaches who started out paying their dues from the very lowest levels; like catching on as strength & conditioning coaches (Mark Kilam) or video coordinators (Jordan Maksymic). Maksymic's first exposure to coaching, sort of, was as a water boy at Stampeders TC back in 2006. As much as it would be nice to create more opportunities for ex-players I don't think they should shut the doors on folks who are willing to start on the ground floor in other Canadian grassroots levels?

Another initiative the CFL has going is the Mentorship program for current and former players to learn something, job shadow etc to see if post career work in other areas of football or business ops is desirable for them.

https://3downnation.com/2024/02/20/rich ... p-program/

The CFL Academy is limited but a good thing as you want players to be a credit to your organization long after playing.

The corporate world changed from the days of hiring players (although those were the days it was considered PT work).
It'd be great if opportunities including entry to coaching.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Heavy NFL interest in Benedet and Manu with 16 teams represented at their Pro Day at UBC.

https://3downnation.com/2024/03/29/16-n ... anni-manu/