Rourke now a NE Patriot

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Dusty
Champion

It would be great if Rourke is named to the 48 man game day roster as he would have no restrictions on his usage. By using him as the 49th man (emergency QB rule), the Pats get to place/utilize another Defensive or Offensive player as backup. I suspect this is the option they will use (at least) for the upcoming game.

Depending on how he shows over the practice week(s), his next hurdle to overcome is getting on the 48 man game roster.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

BC Fan, while I don't know the football acumen of Bernd Buchmasser and his ability to prognosticate accurately, his view is no doubt typical of the views of undrafted NFL college QBs and those who are dismissive of CFL experience as relevant to the NFL game.

Size does matter to the NFL and it's likely not something that they'll ever get over.

While I'd love to see both Rourkes in the CFL I'm not one to cheer for his failure.

The most open of the QBs who toyed with going south was Bo Levi Mitchell who spoke quite openly of what Dave Dickenson said as well IIRC the Vikings GM who questioned why he'd not just stay in Canada. As this came AFTER his visits south, only Nathan Rourke and his advisors know their inside thinking as to how long he'd be willing to test the market.

In the Twitter post thanking the Jags etc for how he was treated, etd during his "stop" there I wondered if that signals he knows it's a longer journey with more than stop.

Their 3 QB rule proves flawed given how the Jags lost Rourke. Just another one of the dumb NFL rules they refuse to change.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

The new QB3 rule does not prevent a team from dressing 3. It just gives them an option to have a 3rd available in case of injury emergency without using one of the 48 game roster spots. These very same Patriots dressed 3 QBs 2 or 3 games ago. Highly doubtful they would use a spot for Rourke this week given he'd have next to zero time learning the Pats' playbook and offense.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:22 pm
In the Twitter post thanking the Jags etc for how he was treated, etd during his "stop" there I wondered if that signals he knows it's a longer journey with more than stop.

Their 3 QB rule proves flawed given how the Jags lost Rourke. Just another one of the dumb NFL rules they refuse to change.
I believe that Rourke fully expected it would be more than a one-stop journey. He looked at Jacksonville as the best situation to prepare him to succeed in that next stop. A springboard if you will.

You can't accuse the NFL of refusing to change the QB3 rule. They haven't even made it through the first season of it being in effect. Dumb would be changing a new rule mid-season before you've had a chance to assess its success. Leagues always do post-mortems on new rules to assess whether they worked as intended or had some shortcomings. Overall it's pretty much served the purpose. Teams have had the option to have a 3rd available. I don't know how often teams promoted their 3rd to their 53 over the season but I don't believe there's been an instance when the emergency 3rd stepped behind center. Yes Jacksonville lost Rourke this week. I believe that is the only such instance and it happened with the season 82% over.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:55 am
The 6-foot-1, 210-pound Rourke is slightly undersized as a quarterback and offers no truly outstanding traits to suggest he will be much more than a backup option at the NFL level. However, he has value as a scout-team option for the Patriots especially due to his dual-threat abilities.
I saw an interesting comment in an article a couple weeks ago regarding 3rd QBs and scout teams. The pundit opined that almost all practice reps that practice squad QB gets are running scout team offenses for the upcoming opponent. As a result the coach would be reluctant to play that QB because he doesn't really know if he can run their own offense.q
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Another aspect that brings to light New England's motivation is other roster moves. The Pats may not be looking at Rourke for more than a late season look see. Just yesterday they lost their 3rd QB Will Greir to the Chargers who plucked him from the Pats' practice squad. So they did have an immediate need for a 3rd QB. So maybe a case of needing a 3rd QB and with only 3 games left rolling the dice on a fresh NFL face to see if he's worth signing for 2024.

According to TSN Houston also put in a waiver claim. They also may have an immediate need as CJ Stroud is in concussion protocol. Stroud is expected to miss this week's game. Case Keenum will start. Missing out on Rourke the Texans signed ex: Jets QB Tim Boyle today to fill the #3 spot behind Keenum and Davis Mills.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

According to Rourke’s Instagram account, he’ll
wear No. 13 for the Patriots.
OV:54-40
Starter

Toppy Vann wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:22 pm
BC Fan, while I don't know the football acumen of Bernd Buchmasser and his ability to prognosticate accurately, his view is no doubt typical of the views of undrafted NFL college QBs and those who are dismissive of CFL experience as relevant to the NFL game.

Size does matter to the NFL and it's likely not something that they'll ever get over.

While I'd love to see both Rourkes in the CFL I'm not one to cheer for his failure.

The most open of the QBs who toyed with going south was Bo Levi Mitchell who spoke quite openly of what Dave Dickenson said as well IIRC the Vikings GM who questioned why he'd not just stay in Canada. As this came AFTER his visits south, only Nathan Rourke and his advisors know their inside thinking as to how long he'd be willing to test the market.

As far as ex-CFL QBs getting a real NFL shot: can anyone name one single former star CFL QB (top passing stats, all-star, winner including a GC win) - of the past 40 or so years - who started out in the CFL and went down to the NFL AND got significant playing time (say half a year's worth of starts or 200+ passing attempts on a season), AND who bombed badly (poor passing stats, lots of picks or fumbles, few wins) ?

Warren Moon? Dieter Brock? Jeff Garcia? - gee, how did they fare in NFL action? Any other examples? - Tom Clements, Dave Dickenson, Ricky Ray, Henry Burris (nope = next to no real shot).

Now - can anyone name any examples of NFL draft pick QBs from the past 40 years or so who have bombed or fared really poorly in decent NFL playing time shots ?

Evidence from the football field = an oft amusing thing.

:clown: :towel:
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:28 pm
DanoT wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:32 pm
Only 3 games remaining and not much oppourtunity to learn the Offense of a new team. This looks like a "let's see what we got for next year" move by the Patriots and a screw up by the Jags, especially if Lawrence gets ruled out due to concussion for the next game.
Hindsight is always 20/20. Jags could not possibly predict Lawrence might pick up an injury of any sort at the time they had to make the waiver decision on Rourke.
Lawerence had hobbled off the field with a knee injury the previous week prior to going into concussion protocol. There was plenty of warning that trying to run Rourke through waivers was a poor idea.

Of course, keeping Bethard over Rourke was a poor idea to begin with.

Of course, signing in Jacksonville was a poor idea to begin with, so this is a compounding of an entire series of bad decisions that worked out poorly for everyone.
Blitz
Team Captain

by cromartie » Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:33 am

Hambone wrote: ↑
Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:28 pm
DanoT wrote: ↑
Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:32 pm

Only 3 games remaining and not much opportunity to learn the Offense of a new team. This looks like a "let's see what we got for next year" move by the Patriots and a screw up by the Jags, especially if Lawrence gets ruled out due to concussion for the next game.

Hindsight is always 20/20. Jags could not possibly predict Lawrence might pick up an injury of any sort at the time they had to make the waiver decision on Rourke.
Lawerence had hobbled off the field with a knee injury the previous week prior to going into concussion protocol. There was plenty of warning that trying to run Rourke through waivers was a poor idea.

Of course, signing in Jacksonville was a poor idea to begin with, so this is a compounding of an entire series of bad decisions that worked out poorly for everyone.
I wondered how much influence Lawrence had in the Jaguars choice of Beathard as their backup quarterback. Rourke was told before signing in Jacksonville that he would have a fair shot at competing for the backup job. He definitely beat out Bethard in the pre-season but Bethard got the backup quarterback slot anyway,

We are all very hopeful that Bourke will get an opportunity for live action in an NFL game but the odds are very long for him to get that shot. The present New England situation perhaps gives him that best opportunity but its still long odds.

I'm aware, as are so many of you, why a professional football player would want to play in the best league and what an NFL career opportunity means in terms of notoriety, money, pension etc.

But a football career is most often a short one and one is only young once. Being a scout team quarterback in the NFL vs. being a starting quarterback in the CFL? How long does one dress in street clothes for Sunday games, while collecting a paycheque or stand on the sidelines in uniform just watching? At some point, when one has the talent and desire for professional football, the best decision is to play the game and create some lifetime fond memories.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone: my only issue with the NFL 3 QB is that it was a simple one to think through. Also, it plain pisses me off when I hear NFL fans in Canada going on about the 3 down rules. Jags are proof in point. Added Nathan Rourke to the 53 man roster and the second time lost their gamble and now have just two QBs with Lawrence in concussion protocol.

Here's a story on how Beathard got a new deal after Rourke signed.
It's hard to read too much into that if we think he never had a chance at no. 2 there despite the extension for CJB.

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/spor ... 944022007/
Three observations: What does C.J. Beathard's contract extension mean for Jaguars QB room?
Demetrius Harvey
Florida Times-Union Feb 23, 2023
Jags bring back EJ Perry whose fate I hope is not mirrored by Nathan Rourke!!!
Roster Moves: Jaguars Sign QB E.J. Perry to the Practice Squad
Dec 19, 2023 at 03:15 PM
The Jacksonville Jaguars have signed QB E.J. Perry to their practice squad, the team announced today.

Perry originally signed with the Jaguars in May of 2022 and spent the season on the team's practice squad. He was waived by the Jaguars in March 2023 and claimed by the Houston Texans. Throughout 2023, he's spent time with both the Texans and Michigan Panthers (USFL).
https://www.jaguars.com/news/roster-mov ... tice-squad

Moving from 18 to 13 involves a minor tweak to the 8 to a 3.

"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:33 am
Hambone wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:28 pm
DanoT wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:32 pm
Only 3 games remaining and not much oppourtunity to learn the Offense of a new team. This looks like a "let's see what we got for next year" move by the Patriots and a screw up by the Jags, especially if Lawrence gets ruled out due to concussion for the next game.

I watched most of the Cleveland game when he was playing through the ankle injury suffered a week prior to that versus the Bengals. I didn't see him hobble from a knee but admittedly didn't watch each and every play. I was watching to see if he at all showed signs of the ankle bothering him. The only thing I wondered about was if it being his plant foot it led to a couple of his overthrows. Otherwise he tucked the ball and ran and scrambled instinctively all game IMO making cuts left and right without a hint the ankle was bothering him. I was quite surprised as I expected somewhere along the way he would have shown signs of favouring the ankle. It's not unusual for players to tweak a knee and hobble off the sidelines during games with the majority to continue playing after maybe missing a play or two.

Regardless even if he did tweak a knee the Jags would have known if it was still affecting him 5 days later when they waived Rourke. Leading into the previous game (Cleveland) when Rourke was added to the 53 Beathard was listed as limited participant in the first 2 practices and full participant in the final session while Lawrence didn't participate in the first practice and was limited participant in the next two. Lawrence would play every down. Both Lawrence and Beathard were listed as full participants in all practices leading into the Ravens game. Clearly Jacksonville felt comfortable with the health of both QBs when they waived Rourke.
don corleone
Starter

Blitz wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:36 am

I'm aware, as are so many of you, why a professional football player would want to play in the best league and what an NFL career opportunity means in terms of notoriety, money, pension etc.
The irony of pursuing the dream of playing in the NFL is nearly 80% run into financial difficulty in their post playing days. A good number declare bankruptcy within 5 years of leaving the game.

Hard to tell that to a 24 yr old though.
Blitz
Team Captain

don corleone wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:54 pm
Blitz wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:36 am

The irony of pursuing the dream of playing in the NFL is nearly 80% run into financial difficulty in their post playing days. A good number declare bankruptcy within 5 years of leaving the game.

Hard to tell that to a 24 yr old though.
You are most wise, don corleone.
Most will spend what they make and many will spend more that that, although financial literacy is something more pros get these days than the so called 'good old days'.

Rourke could have had a very good contract going forward with our Leos and playing every down as a starting quarterback while receiving the accolades for his talents, dedication, and character.

That is not his story so far in the NFL but he also sat on the bench in B.C. in his first year here with our Leos, when it was almost impossible to get Mike "I'm your Everyday Hero' Reilly off the field.. no matter the situation on the field, so Rourke could get some reps. Patience worked out for him here in B.C. for Rourke, so I anticipate the NFL dream will not die after only one season.

The big question, if his NFL career continues on a similar path as this season, is how long will Rourke wait before he decides to return to the CFL.

As much as I would love to see him back here in a Leos uniform, I would also love to see Rourke get some NFL reps and have his future be based on at least being given a chance to prove what he can do down there (or not).
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:28 am
Hambone: my only issue with the NFL 3 QB is that it was a simple one to think through. Also, it plain pisses me off when I hear NFL fans in Canada going on about the 3 down rules. Jags are proof in point. Added Nathan Rourke to the 53 man roster and the second time lost their gamble and now have just two QBs with Lawrence in concussion protocol.

Here's a story on how Beathard got a new deal after Rourke signed.
It's hard to read too much into that if we think he never had a chance at no. 2 there despite the extension for CJB.

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/spor ... 944022007/
Three observations: What does C.J. Beathard's contract extension mean for Jaguars QB room?
Demetrius Harvey
Florida Times-Union Feb 23, 2023
Jags bring back EJ Perry whose fate I hope is not mirrored by Nathan Rourke!!!
Roster Moves: Jaguars Sign QB E.J. Perry to the Practice Squad
Dec 19, 2023 at 03:15 PM
The Jacksonville Jaguars have signed QB E.J. Perry to their practice squad, the team announced today.

Perry originally signed with the Jaguars in May of 2022 and spent the season on the team's practice squad. He was waived by the Jaguars in March 2023 and claimed by the Houston Texans. Throughout 2023, he's spent time with both the Texans and Michigan Panthers (USFL).
https://www.jaguars.com/news/roster-mov ... tice-squad

Moving from 18 to 13 involves a minor tweak to the 8 to a 3.

I don't know how easy it would be tweak the rule. That Rourke had to be waived to go back to the PS is just basic CBA stuff that applies to any player. Promote from PS to 53 and you sign a new contract. Go from 53 to PS requires clearing waivers. Maybe they could negotiate an exception for QBs with the NFLPA? I don't think the NFLPA would bite as they don't like the idea of a team having total control of players like that. Having to clear waivers can open the door for better opportunities for their membership.

Add a 49th spot on the game roster for a 3rd QB? Not unreasonable. If it was mandatory that a 3rd QB be on the game roster that would be close to a $25M extra cost to the NFL adding 32 3rd string QBs. The NFL may have money to burn but they don't like to burn it without good reason. If the NFL was to add a 49th roster spot you can be assured that the vast majority of coaches would rather use it for anybody but a 3rd QB. In recent years prior to this new rule when it was more common for teams to dress 3 QBs more than half the teams would still only dress 2. A few teams rolled the dice and didn't carry a 3rd on the practice squad.

So yes there might be options to negotiate with the NFLPA but is there any sort of appetite to tweak things given most NFL coaches don't find a 3rd QB on the game roster to be necessary.

Lol. It's kind of deja vu all over again for EJ Perry. Actually it's a good move by the Jags as he is at least familiar to the team and offense as he's getting signed to fill the exact same role as he held all thru 2022; 3rd QB on the PS behind Lawrence and Beathard. He never did get promoted to the 53 to get summarily waived. He did actually get claimed off waivers from the Jags by Houston but not until March 2023 when the Jags cut him loose after re-signing Beathard. Houston waived him shortly after the NFL Draft and rookie mini-camp. He then signed with Michigan in the USFL. They let him go again in August so he could sign with Houston where he lasted 2 weeks before being cut in final cuts. He'd been out of work from then until Monday when he re-siged with Michigan who let him go the next day to sign with Jacksonville.