CFL Coaching & GM Changes for 2024

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hamilton has announced that Scott Milanovich has been promoted to head coach. The only surprising thing about the announcement is that it wasn’t made Tuesday along with other organizational and management changes.

https://www.chch.com/hamilton-tiger-cat ... ead-coach/
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hamilton Tiger-Cats hire Scott Milanovich as head coach
By 3Down Staff -December 6, 2023
“First and foremost, Scott is an outstanding person and a proven head coach in the CFL,” said Orlondo Steinauer. “He did an outstanding job with us last year when he took on an expanded role and we know his leadership will bring tremendous value to our organization. We’re looking forward to the 2024 season and we’re excited that Scott and his family will continue to be a part of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.”
https://3downnation.com/2023/12/06/hami ... ead-coach/

Milanovich like some other HCs has a QB situation to figure out here given Bo Levi seemingly not durable. Yet, let's face it who thought Zach Collaros would last with his injury situation (concussions mostly) when he got traded to the Bombers? BLM might have been just fine if they could protect him like the Bombers have done with Collaros. I thought Shiltz looked very good last year but he got hurt.

‘He’s a guy that wills things to happen’: Redblacks’ offensive coordinator Tommy Condell praises QB Dustin Crum
By 3Down Staff -December 6, 2023

https://3downnation.com/2023/12/06/hes- ... stin-crum/
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
don corleone
Starter

SammyGreene wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:18 am

there was a recent column in the Edmonton Sun on the potential of the Elks going to private ownership.

https://edmontonsun.com/opinion/columni ... -ownership

What jumped out of me was this:
Numerous internet searches failed to provide a credible figure of what the Elks are worth. We do know the B.C. Lions sale was $35 million.
$35 million. Really? When Mr. Braley was still alive he was asking for around $20 million when a group led by Mark Woodall was offering $10 million back in 2019.

https://theprovince.com/sports/football ... nt-to-sell

So coming off the pandemic and what amounted to a estate sale Doman paid $35 million?
Interesting topic.

I also thought the $35 million was a big number. Would be interesting to know what the Montreal number was for the last two sales. Hamilton also restructured and brought in new ownership recently so there must have been a number for that. One thing is Rick LaLecheaur would know the number. Would also think any perspective buyer would be diligent enough to do the ground work and be sure to know as well.

Even if it was the reported number In these days of English soccer clubs and MLB franchises the NBA Dallas Mavericks are valued at $2 Billion U.S. dollars. I think Amar Doman made a great investment with the Lions.

Relatively speaking IMHO the Edmonton Football Club is a blue chip franchise that has very recently come upon some hard times. My number for the value is in the $100 million range. The business model is there.

Who knew Jason Maas and Noel Thorpe were the guys for the job all along? Only they had to fire someone and it wasn't going to be Brock Sunderland. They could have blamed Logan Kilgore. Very possibly if they had only stuck to their original plans there would be no talk of going private now.

Whoever does end up buying it will be getting them cheap at any price given the recent sales. Usual required negotiations with the landlord will help to cover expenses while they change the name again and get back on track (maybe as soon as this year).

What I would like to see is for them to take the team public in order to retain a bit of the community ownership aspect and required reporting of public information. Have a majority shareholder and list it on the stock exchange. Almost the same as it is but without the politics that has crept in. I apologize for the early stage theory of how to roll it out.

To redivert back to the thread I can see Bobby Dyce on thin ice in Ottawa with Tommy Condell lurking.
Paying out Dyce will be the only thing in the way.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Scott Milanovich commented in his hiring statement as to what he said to one of the owners as to why he wants to coach in the CFL versus other leagues.
His reply: "they allow coaches to do the job here." Possibly a lesson learned from the NFL.

One funny thing that I've been hearing lately for some reason - and mostly out of context for the situation they say it in - was said by Milanovich and that was:
"We're burning the ships. There's no turning back."
Milanovich likely hasn't been interviewed much since he left his HC role with the Argos so I'm not knocking him but I had to listen to it twice.
To be fair it was in the concept that instilling the mindset that failure is not an option.

As Dave Naylor said, this hire was likely given how he's been working with the team and knows the Ticats including being the decider to sit out Bo Levi for Matthew Shiltz in their playoff loss - a decision I thought was the right one.

I forgot why he resigned in Toronto and it was after much turmoil in ownership, losses and his GM Jim Barker fired that he quit 4 days later.

https://torontosun.com/2017/01/27/coach ... th-jaguars

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/hamilton-tiger-c ... -1.2045304
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

There will be no changes in BC with the exception of Ryan Phillips getting the added title of Assistant Head Coach. The entire staff that was in place after Benevides replaced Yanowsky when he took leave is returning.

https://3downnation.com/2023/12/11/b-c- ... ing-staff/
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:19 am
There will be no changes in BC with the exception of Ryan Phillips getting the added title of Assistant Head Coach. The entire staff that was in place after Benevides replaced Yanowsky when he took leave is returning.

Excellent news. The additional role for Ryan Phillips probably comes with a pay increase. The new responsibilities for Tanya Henderson are interesting as well, and should provide extra help for Phillips, although she lacks experience as a DB that previous defensive assistants have had.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Hambone wrote:

With Phillips become assistant HC, what new duties does he actually now have? Does Campbell really need an assistant? Does every team have an assistant HC?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:39 am
With Phillips become assistant HC, what new duties does he actually now have? Does Campbell really need an assistant? Does every team have an assistant HC?
It's not uncommon for teams to name an assistant head coach. The position probably comes with a bit of extra prestige and money, but any specific duties would depend on the head coach. Mark Kilam is special teams coordinator and assistant head coach in Calgary. Byron Archambault is assistant head coach and special teams coordinator in Montreal. Khari Jones was recently fired as offensive coordinator and assistant head coach in Ottawa. Saskatchewan and Hamilton haven't finalized their 2024 coaching staffs.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:39 am
Hambone wrote:

Could mean a more prominent role in some of the higher level decision making, overall game planning or perhaps in player personnel/roster decisions.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Like others, this added title likely signifies a few things:

> extra cash in recognition of performance in the role
> support for the HC who is GM also.
> possibly a key issue is the recognition that he is valued for his advice, counsel and judgment on more than just defensive issues.
This is often the most trusted of assistants and here I mean trust in the business sense where trust comes from the quality and consistency of a person's judgment and emotional intelligence.
Also no HC wants to run his team by committee so elevating one Co-ordinator a level up, legitimizes the HC and A/HC talking more often in the absence of others.
> preparation for a future HC role which might be something he's told the GM/HC he is interested in. Possibly long-term the GM will relinquish HC as Hufnagel has done in Calgary and now that I think about it, Wally Buono did for Mike Benevides (IMO far sooner than he showed this fan he was ready).
> the added bonus is a bit of retention insurance for the team if another team comes calling.

An old 2008 article on this topic for the NFL. As this story shows, it can alienate other co-ordinators in some situtations.

https://www.sj-r.com/story/news/2008/08 ... 018143007/

Like universities were the ranks progress from Assistant to Associate to full Professor. Like football not all assistants are at the same level either.
don corleone
Starter

Any talk of Andrew Harris joining Sask as a coach starts with Cory Mace imo who would have witnessed his mostly injured impact with the Argos over the last two seasons. It may even merit consideration for signing him as a player and six gaming him for the year as has become popular with others.

Lions might want to think about that as it would tie in perfectly with the V.I. Raiders deal he has lined up. No question in my mind he helped A.J. Ouellette and Daniel Adeboboye improve their game during his time with the Argos and he was always a good blocker and outlet guy on his own.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Unless he's changed his mind Andrew Harris plans on being the Head Coach of the BCJFL V.I. Raiders in 2024.

Perhaps he might get invited to be a guest coach at training camp.

https://www.viraiders.ca/news/andrew-ha ... of-footbal
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

While Calgary East been successful with Ryan Dinwiddie as HC, we won't know if Calgary Regina is a success under HC Corey Mace.

I'm not sure what kind of HC Corey Mace would be compared to in future? Dinwiddie or DeVonne Claybrooks who too was a brilliant DC and loved by players and fellow coaches, yet didn't grasp the role of the HC as effectively as he might have. Some say he had too many rookies on staff and that can be said for Corey Mace too BUT my sense is DeVonne wasn't the leader HC he should have been and the question will be is Corey Mace going to instill that needed overall philosophy backed up by the right culture for success that other successful HCs bring.

It looks to me like Jason Maas has just this past season learned his role as HC in that regard. The new test will be how he and that culture sustains in a new season.

ANDREW HARRIS:

While it seemed clear he was done after this year, we haven't yet heard from him.
I assume the HC of the VI Raiders is a paying gig but this guy might want to return again to playing.
I just don't get the "I'm done for sure" vibe from this guy who loves the game and loves where's he at with his HC and teammates.
His attention level in games he is not playing was certainly coach like as was his behaviour with his fellow RBs.

He has a coaching mindset but I'd not be shocked if he said he was coming back to play.
don corleone
Starter

The guest coach at camp for the Riders theory makes more sense than spending the year in Regina but I could see Mace being interested.

I also believe Harris is committed to the V.I. Raiders program which I think will go well for both himself and the team. Quality coaching at the junior ranks is sorely needed wherever it may be and no doubt the experience will be beneficial to Harris as a place to hone his coaching and management skills. Very possible to see him back on a CFL sideline in 5 years time imo.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Harris will be 37 in April. He hasn't played a full slate since 2019 when he suited up 16 times and was suspended for the other 2. Since then 27 games played and 23 out with injury. He's done. Trying to turn back the clock to when he was 33 and healthy would be a fool's errand for both him and any GM considering him.